Solved

$4.19 per minute using WIFI calling in Nigeria?  Why is this not disclosed anywhere?

• 18 April 2016
  • 5 replies

I discovered that WIFI telephone calls entirely within Nigeria (which I visit for business) cost $4.19 per minute.  This is even a bigger rip-off than Verizon.  And there is absolutely no disclosure of these charges.  I called to complain and was offered $90 off of a $172 bill.  Customer service sent me a link to what they said would be a disclosure of this charge, but I could not find one word about this.  An undisclosed charge is illegal, isn't it?  Should I report T-Mobile to the Federal Trade Commission or my state Attorney General?

icon

Best answer by stevetjr 18 April 2016, 17:16

Nigeria is not one of the "free" international countries but if you enter Nigeria in the link (I assume it is the same one they gave you) it clearly says $4.19 for voice calls and at the bottom clearly shows Wi-Fi calls are only no charge to the US not local calls.  The deal with Wi-Fi calling and international has been that way since even before they started marketing it that calls to or from a US number over Wi-Fi calling are free because as far as the phone switching system it is a local US call since it is between 2 US numbers but if you call even on Wi-Fi calling the call goes from the US to Nigeria (even if you are in Nigeria) because any Wi-Fi call originates from T-Mobile's switching facilities which are in the US.

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

Limited time offer; subject to change. Additional charges apply in excluded destinations; included destinations subject to change at T-Mobile’s discretion. Qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan and capable device required. Taxes additional; usage taxed in some countries.Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people. Communications with premium-rate (e.g., 900, entertainment, high-rate helpline) numbers not included and may incur additional charges. Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to U.S.). Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks. Standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps. No tethering. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6

Wi-Fi Calling FAQs

Are you 100% certain you were on WiFi Calling and not cellular?  That's the majority of problems.  Folks THINK they're on WiFi Calling because they have WiFi turned on, but it's not actually connecting to WiFi Calling and it falls back to cellular.  The only way to be 100% certain is to have cellular turned off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

I entered Nigeria in where are you traveling.

Nigeria is not one of the "free" international countries but if you enter Nigeria in the link (I assume it is the same one they gave you) it clearly says $4.19 for voice calls and at the bottom clearly shows Wi-Fi calls are only no charge to the US not local calls.  The deal with Wi-Fi calling and international has been that way since even before they started marketing it that calls to or from a US number over Wi-Fi calling are free because as far as the phone switching system it is a local US call since it is between 2 US numbers but if you call even on Wi-Fi calling the call goes from the US to Nigeria (even if you are in Nigeria) because any Wi-Fi call originates from T-Mobile's switching facilities which are in the US.

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

Limited time offer; subject to change. Additional charges apply in excluded destinations; included destinations subject to change at T-Mobile’s discretion. Qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan and capable device required. Taxes additional; usage taxed in some countries.Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people. Communications with premium-rate (e.g., 900, entertainment, high-rate helpline) numbers not included and may incur additional charges. Calls over Wi-Fi are $.20/min (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to U.S.). Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks. Standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps. No tethering. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse.

It's best in the non-Simple-Choice countries to use a 3rd party VoIP app, like Hangouts or Viber. Also, if you are calling to any non-Simple-Choice country.

Userlevel 5

Looks pretty disclosed to me...