Solved

Account Fraud and no help from T-Mobile for 7 months

• 6 July 2018
  • 8 replies

On Jan 9th someone walked into a T-Mobile store with a fake passport and was trying to upgrade 2 of my lines. The sales rep caught the fraud and did not proceed with the upgrade, the rep also noted the account saying they was trying to use a fake passport. They went to another location which T-Mobile gave me the address at 880 White Plains Rd Bronx NY and a rep there I.D. # 3044845 proceeded with the upgrade. later that day i got a text from T-Mobile thanking me for my upgrade, I called immediately and was told by a T-Mobile rep Janie ID# 1213151 that the fraud was caught and no changes was made to my account. I got my bill on Feb. and she was wrong the fraud did go though and I called T-Mobile back and spoke to James ID# 187433 who adjusted my bill and put in a fraud ticket in, this went on until May every month i had to call to adjust my bill and they would put a high priority fraud ticket in and tell me the same thing (I will get a call back from the fraud department in 1 to 3 days and it never happened) at the end of May i called and spoke to a rep which i forgot to take her name but she assured me that she spoke to the fraud dept. and the phones were taken off my account. Now we in July and my bill is still crazy and the phones are still on my account i spoke to one manager and her told me i have to go to the store WHERE I DID THE PURCHASE i explained I did not it was fraud he told me that has nothing to do with him and disconnected my call. My wife called 30 min. later the rep adjusted my bill and opened another fraud ticket. My thing is how long does it take fraud to investigate this, why can they just contact the store and get a copy of the ID they used which will show it was not me nor my wife. It has been 7 months and no help i guess T-Mobile does not take fraud seriously. I have been a customer since they were Voice Stream and about 5 years ago merged the whole family into a 6 line family account, it is a shame that because of a simple investigation which T-Mobile has ignored i will be forced to now switch to another carrier.

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 6 July 2018, 19:56

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3

Whoa, @torresbrooklyn​ -- though fraud investigations can take time, on the surface this seems like much longer than a typical investigation's length should run. Because our Support Community is a public user forum, we don't have a secure method to verify your account and look over the details from here -- but at this point, with the number of fraud reports that our internal teams have advised you were filed, there should be investigation notes on your account left by the fraud department!
Are you active on social media at all? Our T-Force folks on Twitter and Facebook do have a way to authenticate your account and review the memos. Can you reach out to us using the links in my badge below -- on Facebook, through Message, or on Twitter, through DM -- and have a representative look over the memos? Please let us know what they say!

I am so happy that I am not the only one that has been a victim of FRAUD due to T-Mobile’s lack of security. i have been a loyal customer for about 5 years now, never miss a payment, I am actually on autopay, and I have 5 phones with them. I received my monthly statement and saw that my bill had increased significantly so I proceeded to call Tmobile and to My surprise they said that the increase was due to 3 iPhones that had been purchased the previous month. My dad had authorized the purchase of 1 iPhone under his account, NOT 3. Upon further investigation, customer service tells me over the phone that the other 2 iPhones were purchased the very next day that my dad purchased his iPhone and at the same store and that an ID was used to purchase them. I was in disbelief and I went to the store myself. The manager at this store found that somebody used an ID that had my dads name to purchase the 2 iPhones. The ID only had my dads name, everything else was different. The picture, address, birthday, etc. Was different. The manager proceeded to say that my dads identity had been stolen, etc. Etc but I knew this was not the case because we did a credit Check on my dad and nothing had changed. I believe that One of the T-Mobile employees from this store got my dads account information and gave it to somebody who either had my dads name or made an ID with his name on it and proceeded to purchase the iPhones. tmobile, of course, denies this. I think it’s ridiculous that the only information a person needs in order to have access to your account is an ID with your picture and name on it. The manager called the fraud team of T-Mobile and reassured me that this issue was going to be resolved and that I wouldnt be responsible for the 2 phones, she said that a T-Mobile rep was going to contact me. A week passed and no contact was made and I was still being charged for the two phones on my account. I had to contact them myself and explain everything to customer service again. The customer service rep made an adjustment to my account and told me that I didn’t have to pay for those 2 phones so I made my regular monthly payment. The following week, T-Mobile contacts me and tells me I need to return to the store that the purchases were made under When I had already gone and was reassured that I wouldn’t have to return. This store is far from me but I went back just to get this resolved. upon arrival, I had to explain the situation AGAIN (Because apparently T-Mobile reps do not know how to keep detailed notes on the account) and the manager tells me that they had no idea of this and that there was no notes on the account as to why somebody told me that I had to return to the store. After 2 hours of waiting, the manager tells me he’s going to fax all of the information to T-Mobile fraud team and that it’s all handled, I’m not responsible for the phones and that I wouldnt have to come back. A week later, I get a call from T-Mobile saying that I owe money on my account and that my phones are going to be suspended. the rep tells me that it’s because I owe the money for those 2 phones. AGAIN I have to tell her the entire story, and she tells me that I’m responsible for it Still. After some argument She finally transfers me to a supervisor who tells me that the managers from the store (both of them) have not alerted T-Mobile and that they haven’t closed it out. She says they have done nothing. The supervisor wasn’t nice enough to adjust my account so that I wouldn’t be responsible for it this month. I think T-Mobile needs to take responsibility for all of the trouble I have been through

due to their carelessness. I am Still waiting for this to be closed out As it was Tmobiles fault that I was a victim of fraud. Will update on the situation as time passes. If this has happened to anyone please let me know.

Hi I am having the same issue right now and wondering if you ever got this resolved? Someone recently took out 4 Iphones, an Iphone watch AND a speaker in person on my account and they say it was my authorized user (not true).  I can't believe this did not raise a red flag to the representative since I upgrade every couple of years.  Supposed to be under investigation but I'm just wondering if this will get resolved soon.

I'm having the same exact problem right now.  Someone opened up a T-Mobile account a while ago using my info. I brought this to T-Mobile's attention when I found out that it happened, and the T-Mobile rep I spoke with said they took care of it (after several hours and multiple calls with them). Then, months later, I got a call from a collections agency (apparently T-Mobile sold this fraudulent debt to a collections agency). I explained the situation on two separate occasions (and the collections agency also told me that they would remove this from collections since it was Fraud). Now, out of nowhere, it looks like I have to deal with this fraudulent account again because it's showing up on my credit report. I know T-Mobile keeps records of customer calls and I would like to access those records so I can fight the collections agency, but the reality is that I'm probably going to have to file a law-suit to get access to them through the legal discovery process. Alternatively, I would just like T-Mobile to fight the collection agency on my behalf since they either recklessly / wantonly disregarded the fact that this was a fraudulent account (ignoring that they acknowledged it was fraud), or they acted with actual knowledge of the fraud when they sold the "debt" to a collections agency. At best they were negligent, but either way, I firmly believe that this is their fight to fight and not mine since they acknowledged the fraud, told me it had been taken care of, and nevertheless sold the bad "debt" that I have to deal with yet again.

Does anyone have the number for a high-level person at T-Mobile who can get this matter resolved for me?

I'm having the same exact problem right now.  Someone opened up a T-Mobile account a while ago using my info. I brought this to T-Mobile's attention when I found out that it happened, and the T-Mobile rep I spoke with said they took care of it (after several hours and multiple calls with them). Then, months later, I got a call from a collections agency (apparently T-Mobile sold this fraudulent debt to a collections agency). I explained the situation on two separate occasions (and the collections agency also told me that they would remove this from collections since it was Fraud). Now, out of nowhere, it looks like I have to deal with this fraudulent account again because it's showing up on my credit report. I know T-Mobile keeps records of customer calls and I would like to access those records so I can fight the collections agency, but the reality is that I'm probably going to have to file a law-suit to get access to them through the legal discovery process. Alternatively, I would just like T-Mobile to fight the collection agency on my behalf since they either recklessly / wantonly disregarded the fact that this was a fraudulent account (ignoring that they acknowledged it was fraud), or they acted with actual knowledge of the fraud when they sold the "debt" to a collections agency. At best they were negligent, but either way, I firmly believe that this is their fight to fight and not mine since they acknowledged the fraud, told me it had been taken care of, and nevertheless sold the bad "debt" that I have to deal with yet again.

Does anyone have the number for a high-level person at T-Mobile who can get this matter resolved for me?

Someone bought a headsets on my account. I called T-Mobile but no help. Did you get it resolved?

Did you file a law suit to them?