Solved

Another Visual Voicemail Saga (iPhone)

• 24 November 2018
  • 8 replies

I recently switched from ATT to T-Mobile Amplified using an unlocked iPhone Xs.  Visual voicemail is not working.

I've been through at least 10 people at T-Mobile over multiple calls, and heard endless "do not worry we will take care of this" statements. None of the solutions have worked.  Got transferred to Apple and went through several layers of support there, only to be transferred back to t-Mobile.  I begged t-mobile to try the solutions I've found on these message boards and none seem to have worked.

My last tech support at t-Mobile finally said there is no fix, so I should just wait and hope for a fix in the future.  That was a week ago.

Does anybody have suggestions as to what I should do?  I feel like they just gave up on me.

@tmo_marissa​ - you seem to be the one person who has had success with this.  I'd really appreciate if you could help me too!!!!

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 27 November 2018, 01:17

View original

8 replies

Several people I know have been having the same issue on IPhones 6S, 8 and 8+. I was told by T-Mobile that it is a IOS 12.1 software issue. Had the same issue last year with IOS 11 that was finally resolved with an update. Looks like they broke it again in IOS 12.1. I hope Apple pushes a update soon.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @bobcharli​!

I had a chance to chat with Marissa to see what the ultimate fix was for the VVM (visual voicemail issues). From talking with her it sounds like this is a provisioning issue between the Voicemail to Text feature and the Visual Voicemail feature on iPhones. The solution was to remove the voicemail to text feature in our backend system to allow the visual voicemail to work. I recommend chatting with T-Force via Facebook or Twitter to have them review your account and features.

I have been dealing with this since I switched my iPhone X (Verizon Model) over to T-Mobile about 5 months ago. Thankfully I have had it fixed twice now and will share how it worked. THE FIRST TIME it happened was right when I switched, and it took about a WEEK to get it resolved, I was about to cancel it all and return to the GOLD DIGGING company I switched from (Verizon). The fix happened by having a rep turn off Voicemail to Text feature on my OnePlus plan. But it seems that depending who you talk to they say they cannot do that without cancelling OnePlus.

This next time happened today, I updated to iOS 12.2 Beta 2 and all hell broke loose and my Visual Voicemail Disappeared again. (just the screen that says "Call Voicemail") After a few hours trying the same thing over finally I asked for a Tech Agent (The first person you talk to will just know basic troubleshooting, but you need to have them move you to an "Expert") He said he ran a "Location Cancellation" on my line, pretty much remotely resetting my phone so it cannot talk to any towers and then reactivating it so it can again. Obviously it hung up the call and then I restarted my phone and when I went to VVM again, it said "Set Up Voicemail" so I entered a new password and recorded a greeting and now it works. I hope this helps some people having issues with a Verizon build iPhone X...

Let me know if anyone has questions!

PS : I want to be clear that before the "Location Cancel" I had reset my phones network settings at least 5 times, power cycled my phone a million times and also activated a new TMobile SIM and none of these worked....Make sure to ask for a Location Cancel!

Hi I seems to have the same issue. My VVM doesn't how up and I receive at instead.

So it’s a year since those last posts and it’s still not resolved?

I just brought my one cell number from Verizon to T-Mobile last weekend. Now I can’t set up or access VM at all. Using an iPhoneX I bought while on Verizon but it’s been paid off (‘unlocked’) for 22 months. Running latest 14.0.1 iOS.

This is a serious issue for Apple and T-Mobile!

Let alone their customers who expect things to ‘just work’.

Sprint got so bad (started with ‘em in 2001) I moved to Verizon a few years later. But after moving 200 miles into another state Verizon’s coverage was terrible. Couldn’t port my number onto US Cellular (excellent service here) so I went with T-Mobile.

Now this….

Here's what fixed mine with the help of Apple Support. Go into your message app and act as you're going to text message someone. At the bottom of the keyboard, press the microphone icon. You will get a popup about using dictation for the first time. You need to accept this. Test by speaking and make sure your text is transcribed. Now, reboot your phone and wait a little while. Apple says this could take up tp 24 hours, but mine took only 5 minutes.

I don’t know if this is the same issue, but I’ve also been through MANY TMobile Tech calls.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 5G (~2.5 yrs old).  Visual Voicemail worked fine for me until 3 months ago when I had to get a new SIM card.  VVM won’t recognize the new card & just minimizes after I read the error message.  Every time I call for tech support, the person eventually says there’s a network problem, a lot of people are reporting the same problem, and it will be fixed in a few weeks.  3 or 4 calls with at least an hour on the phone each time.  The really weird thing is, my wife has the identical phone and her visual voicemail works fine.  She’s never had a problem with it. 

Using a Samsung Galaxy S9 plus. Just switched to Tmobile, number port in from Spectrum, and new SIM card install.

Since porting and SIM card change, I have no VVM. Reading through here this definitely seems to be a carrier issue versus hardware. Going to try Uninstalling voice to text as others have had to do, if that doesn't work ill call. I hate phone calls. They make me cranky.