Solved

Apple iPhone Upgrade Program with a Business Account

• 11 September 2019
  • 73 replies

I am currently on a t-mobile business plan and wanting to upgrade my iPhone using the Apple iPhone upgrade plan. I have done this the last two years with the same t-mobile plan without, however now the app fails to confirm my carrier. I am asked to enter my cell phone number and the last four digits on the primary account holder's social security number (me) but when I do, I get an error that the "feature is not available right now" ... however when I friend did the same thing his worked. He is a regular t-mobile customer, not business.

How can this be fixed?

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 13 September 2019, 12:46

Hello All!

I've read each of your posts and I'm sorry there has been a lot of confusion with no real answers. From digging into this more, I've found that most business accounts don't qualify as an eligible account type to participate in the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple even though most have been able to do it previously. It looks like a lot of you have been switching your account types and that has been doing the trick. I'm going to pass along this thread to my Apple partners for feedback because i know this is something a lot of our business customers are not a fan of. I'll keep you posted with any updates.

View original

73 replies

I have the same issue.

Userlevel 5

Hey there!

I'm sorry you're running into errors as you're trying to get ahead of the pre-order. We're already taking a look at why users are seeing this error and working on a solution. I'll keep you updated as I know more.

After googling “iPhone upgrade program on T-Mobile business” I see this has been an issue for years. Another T-Mobile surprise!!!

Now I am getting a different error that says my t mobile acccount is not supported. I have done the Apple upgrade program for the last two years and my account is exactly the same.

what Is the deal?

Same here. Seems like it should be a priority to have this fixed.

Has it worked previously with the business program? I might convert the account tomorrow as everybody uses the Apple upgrade program.

Hi.

We'll were very pleased by these inquiry knowing how to improve and update our services.

Please click the link below to help us ease our frutrations w/ regards to this matter =)

The hardest part of getting your new phone, tablet, wearable (and more!) will be picking a favorite out of our exciting line up. Shop now or learn more about how to buy below.

Buy a T-Mobile device

Or

We’ll call you.

Please enter your information below and a T-Mobile®️ Business Expert will contact you, typically within an hour during normal business hours: 9:30am -7:45pm Pacific time, Monday through Friday. Or call us at 1-877-590-4728.

Are you are an existing T-Mobile customer looking for help? Contact Business Care at 611 from a T-Mobile phone or call 1-877-347-2127 from any phone.

Thank you so much

Same issue. We have a business account and get the same errors. I’ve never had this issue. Spent 2 hours with Apple and t mobile today with no luck. FIX THIS

I also have the same issue. Super frustrating. I just got off the phone with TMO customer service and of course they had no idea what I'm talking about. Please fix!

Very frustrating... I can't understand why business accounts would all of a sudden not work when I upgraded just fine last year.. I love tmobile aside from the coverage and this has me second guessing.

I wonder if it is due to their new business billing infrastructure. It is so slow, and hard to navigate.

Same here. Business account not supported or something. Cannot get preapproval. Please fix

Has anyone found a solution?  This is frustrating. I seem to have multiple issues besides this just because I'm on a business plan.  I'm not even sure there is good benefit to being on the business plan. 

Has anyone successfully converted their business account to a standard account? I don't see any benefit to being a business customer. On the contrary, as a business customer, we are excluded from getting free Netflix and now we can't use the Apple Upgrade Program. The worst part is, those of us already on the Apple Upgrade Program won't be able to get the new iPhone on Friday. Based on the error message we're getting, it looks like we'll have to buy a new phone on Friday at full price without the upgrade program, then deal with closing out our current phones on the upgrade program. What a mess...

I completely agree it's a mess and wondered the same about switching to a standard account.  Unfortunately I am doubtful it will get resolved before tomorrow's deadline to get pre-approval for the new iPhone or even Friday when it's released.

I do however get the free Netflix with my business account.  I didn't get the 4% T-mobile money for the longest time because it wouldn't recognize that I had a t-mobile account but that has finally resolved.  I have gotten a new iPhone every year and this would suck and question my decision to go with T-mobile.  The pricing on other providers are very competitive now and I don't see a reason to stay with T-mobile if it make it more difficult to get a new phone every year.

The terms of the Apple Upgrade Program say that we can upgrade after 12 months. However, if you're on T-Mobile Business, that's no longer the case. We were fooled into signing up for the Apple Upgrade Program, and now they're not holding to their end of the agreement. I'm sensing a class action lawsuit.

We will most likely eventually be able to upgrade after 12 months but we won't get it until 3-4 weeks later since we will be ordering after all the people who pre-order.  It's T-Mobile is blocking us from upgrading it seems like. 

Same issue here, and I’ve successfully used iUP since the program launched.

I would convert my account to a standard plan, but the current “Magenta PlusUp” (or whatever) plans are worse than the T-Mobile One Plus plans were when I signed up. I’d have to pay about $30 more per month for the same service.

I’m incredibly disappointed by this failure, and that Apple is requiring a carrier account for the iPhone Upgrade Program when we could just swap out our SIM cards and leave our very confused carrier out of the equation.

Yes it has. I have used apple upgrade the last two years and have had a biz account the entire time.

This just keeps getting better.  Not only can I apparently not participate in the iPhone upgrade program BUT... I also can not upgrade my phone with my business account through the web or app.  I MUST go into a store or call on the phone!!!!  What year is it?

I noticed if you select another carrier and then go back to the T-Mobile carrier selection you can edit your phone number. I might use a friends number and see if that works. Then just take out the included SIM when I get the phone so it doesn't activate on his account.

This just worked for me. I was able to get through with using another person's number and last four of social. I will just swap sim's and call it a day. What an absolute cluster f*ck.

Yeah, t-mobile is messing things up, since it worked last year for us, and isn't this year.

As far as Apple is concerned, if t-mobile says 'Invalid account' when they try to confirm, then there is nothing for apple to do

iPhone Upgrade Program Terms and Conditions

"

Wireless Service Activation. The Financed iPhone requires wireless service activation on a new or existing wireless service plan with an eligible carrier under the carrier’s terms, and may be subject to an additional fee charged by your carrier.

"

Apple says wireless carriers business accounts have never been supported , and the fact that it worked last year is only because T-Mobile handled the confirmation differently last year.

So going forward, I either have to

1. get t-mobile to fix things, or

2. change my t-mobile account to one that will give back the right response to apple(switch to consumer or family plan), or

3. pay off my existing iPhone and order for full-price a new iPhone.

Yup, works great.

I thought about doing this, but was afraid of what could happen... I look forward to hearing stories of this new adventure you've embarked on!

Maybe Apple ties each phone shipped to a phone number to prevent theft during transport. Basically, you'll have to activate the phone using your friend's account first, then swap the sims. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but who knows...