Question

Are T-mobile and Sprint accounts merged yet?

• 15 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

I am trying to buy a new Note 20 Ultra from Best Buy, and they are actually cheaper if you unlock them now.  They have no option for T-mobile, so I select Sprint (which shows the T-mobile icon) but then it says: “Phone_Number_Discrepancy; The cell phone number provided is not associated with any Sprint Nextel account.”
I had thought Sprint and T-mobile where the same now, but even Best Buy support said they could not activate for T-mobile.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You should return it and ask for the U1 non-carrier version.  The Sprint merger is still a bit of a mess.  The U1 non-carrier version is fully compatible with T-Mobile, it remains SIM unlocked regardless of the SIM you put in it, and gets faster updates usually.  

Badge

You should return it and ask for the U1 non-carrier version.  The Sprint merger is still a bit of a mess.  The U1 non-carrier version is fully compatible with T-Mobile, it remains SIM unlocked regardless of the SIM you put in it, and gets faster updates usually.  

I am already looking at an “unlocked” phone, but haven’t bought anything yet.
They charge $50-100 less to “activate” it immediately, and they have an option for Sprint but not T-mobile.
So yes I can buy an unlocked, non-activated phone but it costs $100 more.  I am trying to avoid that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

By “activate” do you mean “set up a line of service”? This whole “activate” a phone business is a foreign concept to GSM.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

By “activate” do you mean “set up a line of service”? This whole “activate” a phone business is a foreign concept to GSM.

Sprint does require the devices IMEI to be in their system and linked to the account for the phone to be usable by the number on the account. 

Badge

Activate is Best Buys term, but yes I assume its pairing the phone with a service/number.

Badge

So I called T-mobile and their solution was to switch service providers to Sprint.  I think this is hilarious since they are supposed to be the same, and it’s just not a good solution.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

So I called T-mobile and their solution was to switch service providers to Sprint.  I think this is hilarious since they are supposed to be the same, and it’s just not a good solution.

I would consider contacting the T-Force Team via Twitter or Facebook and asking for a $100 credit for buying the U1 device or at the very least, having T-Mobile price match the device via a bill credit.  I don’t know if they will give it to you but it doesn’t hurt to ask.  Especially if the request isn’t unreasonable.