Question

Assurant Claim Denied - Say i did not have an Iphone

Badge

I have been going back and forth with T-Mobile an Assurant for days now.  I established 360 protection on May 11th by taking my iPhone 11 Pro Max into the local store for them to verify before insured.  On May 25the the phone was lost and I filed a claim.  During the filing process it was not showing my iPhone, it was only listing a Motorola phone.  I called Assurant and said I had never owned a Motorola phone, he said “oh, is it the iphone11 Pro Max?”.  I said yes and thought all was fine.  No, they denied the claim for an iPhone saying I had a Motorola.  About this time I realized that I had put my SIM card in a friends phone to get a phone number because my phone was dead and it was urgent I made this call.  Turns out my friends phone was the Motorola.  T-Mobile took it upon themselves to change the device on my account from the iPhone to the Motorola.  I have talked to a T-Mobile store manager who said this has happened and to call customer service, they can resolve.  I have called them about 6 times, each time they say they understand and have taken care of the issue but each time I get the same result of a denied claim because I’m not claiming a Motorola.

Hopefully, someone knows how I can resolve this so it does not result in me having to sue both T-Mobile and Assurant.  

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried putting your sim in an iPhone  and then filing a claim?

Badge

No, but I would assume i would get the same response as the IMEI numbers would not match.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to take a look into the terms of the insurance.   I do recall seeing other threads stating that the last imei that shows on the usage is the phone that will be insured.

Badge

i have glanced at the terms and did not see that specifically but read some general statements that made me think they were somewhat implying that.  But that is just wrong on the part of T-Mobile.  I gave them my phone so they could verify it and it’s condition.  They cant just then change it to a different phone.  Nobody at T-moile has indicated i could not do that, they all seem to say it’s okay but Assurant still denies the claim.  I had a store manager tell me it happens and can be resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's probably to stop insurance fraud.

Reach out to Tforce using messenger on Tmobile's Twitter page to see if they can help.

Badge

Thank you, I will try that..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I use to go to a Tmobile kiosk at a local mall and the rep once told me how long I used a phone on a imei number. So if you just used the Motorola imei for a short time they should know.

Badge

good to know, thank you.

This happened to me one time when I was helping a customer file a claim for stolen Galaxy S10. I had to put the IMEI of the S10 into the claim (mytmoclaim.com) and had the customer enter all their information and pay the deductible only to find out they canceled the claim because he put the sim card into a different phone to use until he got the replacement. It was a whole mess, and the poor customer had to refile three times, and finally got his replacement phone after pushing his claim through to the supervisor. It was a nightmare experience for the techs working for Assurant and the customer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so was the issue on the TMO side or Assurants? are they needing to report the device lost/stolen/broken BEFORE putting their sim card into a different device? or would that still more than likely end up with the same results?