Assurant robbed me for my money.

Userlevel 2

I have about 3 devices under assurant protection with t mobile.  I ended up damaging a screen on one and filed a claim.  while waiting for them to send me one in the mail.  I had an unfortunate event and got the device stolen, being cracked and damaged it doesn't hold any value anymore.  I called assurant to see if they could help me out since I didn't have the original device no longer and pay a higher deductible since I wouldn't be able to return the old one.  They declined to help me and stated if i wasn't able to return the original device they would charge me full price for the replacement..  Note they had already charged me $100 for the deductible and now they were also going to charge me the price of a new galaxy note 8 when its not even new ( its refurbished) which doesn't have the same value as a brand new note 8.  They declined to help knowing I still owe $400 on my original.  I paid over $500 just on insurance this year and the one time i decide to use their service, I end up in a dilemma where its either I use my insurance and end up with my original phone balance and pay on top another $600 for a refurbished note 8 when all assurant has or had to do was cancel my claim or change it from broken to stolen claim.  I am more than glad to pay the deductible of a stolen device but assurant has also declined to do so.  I am not happy with the way management dealt with my claim.  I angry and frustrated with assurant.  I will most likely end my insurance plan on my devices because if I couldn't event get my first claim done right. They didnt seem to care at all and now I have to get a new device because I cannot afford to file a claim with assurant because instead of giving me piece of mind and having me proctected all they way instead I'm being robbed out of my money.  Thanks for everything assurant!!!

20 replies

It is my duty as a human being to warn another person of ASSurant. They are the WORST experience I have had as a 13 year customer. Until now I’ve never had a problem with TMobile, but you are judged by the company you keep. Although not the same company, they are affiliates and it shows bad practice by keeping in partnership of providing insurance to their clients.

I put in a claim two days before Christmas expecting some delay (despite promise of two day shipping), but my package was lost in transit after waiting 5 days. Ok, not a huge deal you’d think, just send a replacement. They tell me I have to wait for a 10-12 business day wait period for an investigation. OK (angrily) I have no choice so I suck it up and wait. On the tenth day I call to see if theres any headway in the big case. They say “no you have to wait the 12 days then its sent to you automatically, you’ll get an email.” 12th day. No email. No contact. I call and told “its actually 10-15 business days.” 15th day arrives (today). I call and then was told “we’re waiting to hear back from UPS its gonna be another 2-3 days”. ...I don’t want to be that guy but . I liked TMobile but this prevents me from ever loving them. This is a bad relationship and I’m eyeing divorce. 

I am so upset after being a customer for ten years and paying for insurance on four phones a month my brother broke his phone. I only owed 150 on it so I decided to utilize the insurance. Since I stay out of state my elderly mother put the phone in her building locked outgoing mail which only the post office has the key. Her security guard whom is 24 hrs saw the postal worker obtain the package but somehow it has not been scanned at the post office and assurant does not have it. Now mind you it was placed in the packaging they sent.  I call the post office I get a email stating that they have had issues with assurant about bar codes scanning differently from the number that is viewable by humans and for me to contact assurant. Which I did and was told there is nothing we can do. I have proof of the locked box and a witness it was picked up. Still both the post office is saying oh well we can’t locate it and there is nothing you can do. Assurant is saying oh well we don’t have it and T-Mobile is like we have nothing to do with it. I even asked if I could send their phone back and just take the lost on my phone and was told no you will be charged 1000.00. They didn’t even put nothing but 100 insurance on the package. Then the 1000 will be added to your bill. If I purchased the phone over a 24 month period how do they think I can afford to pay 1000.00 on top of my bill. Still they not even trying to work with me knowing 1. I never utilized the insurance as long as I been a customer 2 I have paid for this insurance for years 3 that I don’t have that type of money. It seem like they are just trying to get money. At this point I don’t know what I’m going to do I did cancel all my insurance from each phone because I will never used them again. And I am really considering going to another phone carrier after this. I have filed a missing package with the post office, contacted postmaster and attorney general for my state.  This is just crazy and no one cares because they don’t have to pay for it.

I filed a claim with Assurant over a lost iPhone 13. While my issue was being resolved I was using an old iPhone 8 as a temporary solution. My claim got kicked back three times. Each time it did they kept saying that my phone was not covered during the time of the claim. I didn't understand why they said that since I did not miss a single payment on my bill and the insurance charge was included in my bill. They claimed that the IMEI number did not match the number they currently had on file. Which is why they said that the iPhone 13 wasn't covered during the time of my claim. I kept arguing that indeed I had insurance and that I could prove it to them by sending pictures of my bills for the past 28 months. They were not interested in that. Long story short, the real problem was that my iPhone 13 wasn't showing as covered was because my iPhone 8 was the one showing as active currently. Thats why the IMEI number wasn't matching. The real sad part is they would not tell me this because there is a 90 day window that you have to report the incident by. They wanted me to run out of time so I wouldn't be able to make a claim period. They succeeded. It took a fourth call with a T-Mobile rep to finally get the information out that the reason why the IMEI number wasn't matching was because of the current replacement iPhone 8 that I was using took over the coverage and the iPhone 13 was left out. Even if we wanted to do anything further we were past the 90 day window.

I'm super mad about this to say the least and very disappointed in the way this was handled. I have three personal lines with T-Mobile and four lines for my business I'm for sure going to Verizon and avoiding any kind of phone insurance all together. its a total scam. 

You have done nothing wrong T-Mobile other than I would have liked more support from you since the beginning. Seems like the only way to get answers from Assurant is by having someone from T-Mobile that is competent hold the customers hand and call together. Otherwise if the Assurant rep says “no” the customer has really no grounds to argue with them. All they really say is if you don't like what we are telling you call T-Mobile. 

I really hope that someone from T-Mobile sees this and sends it up the chain to someone that really cares about customer retention. As for me and my lousy 7 lines are going elsewhere because of this. I feel too disappointed to stick around. Been paying $18 each for insurance on seven phones for 28 months and they couldn’t help me out. Makes me wonder if they really do care about customer satisfaction. 

I have filed a number of claims in the past. T- Mobile should be ashamed be held responsible for allowing Assurant to be as bad as they are. Consistently dropping phone calls after hours of holding and have to call back over and over. I had filed a claim and Assurant made a mistake and sent me 2 phones. I returned both of them and the are now saying it will be 1-2 business cycles. My original claim as filed in April and approved. I called 7/19/23 and they said it will be 2 billing cycles. No refund sent.. I called again today, 9/1/23. They said it will be another one to two business cycles. $549.48 owed to me and months later they continue to a apologize to the point I had to tell them “stop apologizing if you are not going to actually fix the problem” Clearly the problem is the Assurant and T-moblie needs to be held responsible for the company THEY hired to insure peoples phones. THIS COMPANY IS A JOKE AND SO IS T - MOBILE. SHAME ON THEM BOTH. 14 YEARS AS A T - MOBILE CUSTOMER AND I AM READY TO SWITCH TO ANYONE BUT T-MOBILE DUE TO ASSURANT AND T- MOBILE NOT HOLDING THEM RESPONSIBLE. - Chris in Minnesota. 😡😡😡  

I have been with T mobile for about 5 years now technically 6 with Sprint. I've always had protection on all my devices but have never had to use it. Until last week, I had the worst luck dropped my Samsung 22ultra and the whole screen cracked. It was glitching really bad and I couldn't even use it. My husband put in a claim for me on my phone Thursday and got one email saying it was in progress. I ended up going to T mobile to switch my phone to my son's because I use my phone for work. They told me it would be two days for my new phone to show up. Oh how wrong they were. 3 days latter I called them and talked to 3 different people about my claim and got a different answer from each of them "oh give it 24 hours it will go threw" or "it should be 3-5days before it gets approved" fine I guess I have to wait. The 6th day emailed them twice no answer called them. Now all of the sudden I need an ID picture of the account holder so it can get approved! Are you kidding me?! So I send my ID and my husband's send another email no response......until the next day.....it will be 24-48 hours before being approved. We spend so much money on insurance and have never used it until now and this is what happens....it's been a mess and I'm definitely ready to cancel T mobile and this crap Insurance that does absolutely nothing to resolve problems and just takes money. 

Came over to Tmobile from Sprint, so not sure WTH Assurant is, but paid for insurance for 2 years, screen cracks and I can tell it just a matter of time before I lose all visuals. I file claim, pay another 100$, and within minutes I get confirmation that new phone is on its way. I am pleased. Next day, email that phone out of stock and will email when it comes in. Week later I email and call, bo response. A few weeks later, my screen is definitely working hard to stay together, but it's days are numbered. I email and call, again, no response. 5 weeks later, it is now gone. I email that after all the money I have spent, I now have no phone and they refuse to treat me like a customer worthy of responding to, so I will be removing myself as customer of both them and Tmobile. Lo and behold, next day I get an email that, surprise, the phone is magically back in stock and will be sent within a week. So, I guess I am now working in their warehouse, because I will not accept that it came I  on the same night I threatened to leave. I was probably paying for protection plan while I was waiting those 5 weeks as well. They strung me along. They did not treat me like a customer they cared to keep, and as far as I'm concerned they have stolen my money and would have continued to steal it if I hadnt threatened to leave. I will get my replacement eventually and live without a phone for probably another 2 weeks because of their ineptitude to run a business that keeps track of their inventory, I will cancel any plan I have with them for insurance, and will definitely be looking at switching carriers. If this is the insurance company they have saddled up with, then what other choices are they making that are detrimental to their customers. 

Badge

I have been waiting for over 3 weeks...and counting, for a replacement phone. Both T-Mobile & Asurion claim it's the other’s responsibility to ship the phone. Asurion took the deductible, promised to ship a phone & a week later said T-Mobile should ship me the phone. Its disgraceful and pathetic after being a customer for 16 years, T-Mobile can’t even honor a promise to cover a device. Lost for words. Consider class action to end this scam.

Assurant is terrible! I lost my iphone 11 over the weekend. I made a claim and my replacement showed up in 2 days. I thought all was good untill I noticed scratches around the camera lens and the bottom speakers are muffled and sound terrible. My old phone was in better shape than this POS replacement they sent me. I called hoping the could send me another replacement and I return the damaged phone but no. They expect me to send the damaged replacement phone first and be phone less untill they send me another. Completely ridiculous..I pay these assholes $20 a month and they cant work with people? if I didn't need my phone for work I wouldn't mind. Ill never make a claim with these scam artist ever again. I should've just payed a little more and got a brand new phone. Now im stuck with this POS.

I have about 3 devices under assurant protection with t mobile.  I ended up damaging a screen on one and filed a claim.  while waiting for them to send me one in the mail.  I had an unfortunate event and got the device stolen, being cracked and damaged it doesn't hold any value anymore.  I called assurant to see if they could help me out since I didn't have the original device no longer and pay a higher deductible since I wouldn't be able to return the old one.  They declined to help me and stated if i wasn't able to return the original device they would charge me full price for the replacement..  Note they had already charged me $100 for the deductible and now they were also going to charge me the price of a new galaxy note 8 when its not even new ( its refurbished) which doesn't have the same value as a brand new note 8.  They declined to help knowing I still owe $400 on my original.  I paid over $500 just on insurance this year and the one time i decide to use their service, I end up in a dilemma where its either I use my insurance and end up with my original phone balance and pay on top another $600 for a refurbished note 8 when all assurant has or had to do was cancel my claim or change it from broken to stolen claim.  I am more than glad to pay the deductible of a stolen device but assurant has also declined to do so.  I am not happy with the way management dealt with my claim.  I angry and frustrated with assurant.  I will most likely end my insurance plan on my devices because if I couldn't event get my first claim done right. They didnt seem to care at all and now I have to get a new device because I cannot afford to file a claim with assurant because instead of giving me piece of mind and having me proctected all they way instead I'm being robbed out of my money.  Thanks for everything assurant!!!

I’m basically in the same boat!! Then all they do is send me to apple care who wants to hold 1300$ on my card 1 I don’t even have that 2 that’s outrageous! Between the two they are financially screwing me, for what I have paid for their bull*** I could have bought a bran new car. I’m beyond furious. Can’t even get a upgrade cause they won’t take a broke device. Soo my friend you’re not alone I’m being robbed too!  Hope they get sued.

I personally believe insurance for a phone is a scam.

The money you pay in insurance will pay for a brand new device over time.

Im sad this has happened to you.

There are some other alternatives for phones.... Apple are selling clearance refurbished iphone se for approximately $249.

I know it won’t compare to the phone that was stolen.... but it cost only $249😉.

Only if the assurant company were able to send you a refurbished iphone for all of the troubles you have had.

They did it to me too delivered phone where I asked to be I'd or signed left note anyway it was stolen now after a month there claiming they refunded me cuz I disputed with bank and they said they refunded the card which has been deactivated since the day after it was stolen but can't provide can't provide with any documents showing they refunded me my banks on the phone telling them they haven't gotten it nor have no indication of them initiating it and they called my bank liars lmao now since we have them on recording claiming they refunded a card yhats not active which would kick funds back to them and they failed to provide proof my banks going forward with the dispute and  I'm still out a phone a month later 

They start charging me more after I claim amd now they saying because I was not able to to finish my claim in 90 day they not covering my iPhone 6s back after years I paid them money ,we need to talk about this to government or law office ,this not right at all

just for info purposes Assurant (Assurion) is NOT a TMO company...its a insurance company that pretty much all carriers use here in the U.S...

I'm not sure if you know this, but Assurant and Assurion are two different companies. TMobile being the only company out 3 (Verizon and ATT use Assurion) to use the former. OP is correct about the high deductible and continuous monthly payments on a refurbished device being ridiculous. Insurance is for things you want to have repaired and keep, not replaced with "almost new" devices. Imagine that same ridiculous principal being applying to vehicles.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

just for info purposes Assurant (Assurion) is NOT a TMO company...its a insurance company that pretty much all carriers use here in the U.S...

and if your screen name is also your phone number you might want to change that since this is a fully public forum and everyone and their mom can see it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Userlevel 1
Badge

Assurant T Mobile is a ripoff company.  When you try to claim one of their advertised benefits you are met with lies, stall tactics and then you finally give up.  RIPOFF do not buy T Mobiles “insurance” it is a fraud.  Believe me I learned the hard way.  File a claim T Mobile threatens to discontinue your service.  Hey FTC when will you stop this mess?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I would file a complaint with the better business bureau and the state attorney general

Userlevel 1

When will tmobile resolve this on going issue with assurant?

Userlevel 4

I personally believe insurance for a phone is a scam.

The money you pay in insurance will pay for a brand new device over time.

Im sad this has happened to you.

There are some other alternatives for phones.... Apple are selling clearance refurbished iphone se for approximately $249.

I know it won’t compare to the phone that was stolen.... but it cost only $249😉.

Only if the assurant company were able to send you a refurbished iphone for all of the troubles you have had.