Question

Bait and Switch on Rebates

• 1 October 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

A month ago we talked to a sales agent for over two hours to nail down a deal. We were rolling over 5 lines and swapping one old phone for a new phone. We were responsible to return the old phone and were promised a $200 mastercard gift card per line.

When the new phone and sim cards were delivered there was no information on returning the old phone and no gift cards.

I called today and sent an hour with technical support and then another hour with billing. After walking through our account details the billing representative told me we would get the gift cards if we switched to a higher cost plan.

Clearly a bait and switch. In the original sales call we covered in detail every aspect of the plan we were going to use, the trade-in for the new phone, and the per-line gift cards. Everything was completely clear between us and the sales agent. There was no confusion.

I said “bait and switch” to the customer representative and she hung up.

I’m planning to switch to another carrier as soon as possible.

9 replies

Badge

Here is my post…

I have spoken to T-Mobile many many times regarding their “KEEP and SWITCH” program.  I signed up for T-Mobile on 8/21 after having been with ATT for 16 years.  When I spoke to the rep on the phone regarding their promotions to come over, he informed me of several things.

1. I could go to the local store after paying my $175 “activation” fee to pick up my 5 sim cards for the lines I was bringing over to T-Mobile from ATT.  Upon arriving at the store I was told that this was not accurate and they would come in the mail.  Nice!  wasted an hour driving to and from the store to look like an idiot.  
  2. He also told me that I qualified for 4 of the 5 phones under the “Keep and Switch” program (I am now calling it the bait and switch program).  I told him that I owed $966 for each of the 3 iPhone Pro 13 Max phones and $540 for the Samsung Fold.  He stated that if I paid them off I would get $800 per phone which would more than cover my expense paid to ATT.  I took his word for it and signed up.  Paid ATT $3400+ on my credit card with the expectation that I was going to get most if not all of it back from T-Mobile.  I was told when signing up that I would see my rebate in 6-8 weeks.  
  3. On 9/13 I contacted RCS Solution Center (T-Mobile Rebate Center) to process my rebate.  I was told at this time that I would only get $800 per line and only the 3 iPhones qualified for the “bait and switch” program.  Meaning I paid almost $1000 more than I was to get.  The Samsung Fold, I was told was the wrong generation. Had I been asked by the rep who signed me up about which generation I had I would have happily told him. 
  4. I did call and get a supervisor on the phone and they did provide me with what is called an “insider” discount.  This is good for 20% off my bill forever.  Ok,  Great, there was an attempt to make the misinformation correct.  I didn't ask for this, I just wanted what I was told I would receive.  Nothing more.  
  5. I called again on 9/16 once I saw via the web portal that my “bait and switch” rebate had been denied and explained to another supervisor the situation, He was very polite,  He was able to get me a $500 bill credit to offset the majority of the Samsung Fold rebait that I was not going to get.  We spoke with the rebate center and I was assured by “a T-Mobile Expert” that I would be getting a text within in 5-7 days with my “virtual rebate” card.  and that they would keep an eye on my rebate status and call me personally.  
  6. On 9/23 after having gone a week with NO text or call i called again.  By this time I was starting to get frustrated.  I spoke with a supervisor who connected me to a Supervisor in the rebate center.  I was again assured my rebate would be process quickly and within 5-7 days I would see something.  I did tell the rep’s at T-Mobile that once we reached 60 days after activation of my services and that I had not gotten what I was told I would get that I would be going elsewhere.  Meaning on 10/21, If I haven't gotten what I was told via email and voice that I would leave.  
  7. Today, I called again because on the rebate portal I have had 5 different submissions for my rebate (all of which were processed by the rebate center) “DENIED”.  The latest one dated 9/29.  Again I was conferenced into the rebate team and “assured by yet another “T-MOBILE” expert that I would be getting my rebate.  He stated he would personally watch this and call me.  

I haven't asked for anything more than what I was told.  I have been told that I would receive $800 per line for the 3 iPhones, and also been told that I would get the $966 per iPhone due to the rebate max being increased in June.  I have several emails from the RCS center stating different amounts.  

The latest email I received is below. I changed the numbers to iphone 1 - 3 and the submission ID and Tracking number for privacy reasons. 

From: noreply@salesforce.com <noreply@salesforce.comOn Behalf Of RC Solutions
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 2:59 PM
To: ME
Subject: RE: Keep and Switch [ ref:_00D80ashm._5002E21HCSv:ref ]

Hi,

Thank you for reaching back to us, we checked and there was a new submission created on the same day please dont worry as we checked that the submission has no error's and it's on a Pending status.

Here's the details for reference.

Submission ID: not displayed

Tracking ID: not displayed
Amount :
iphone 1 - $966.61
iphone 2 - $966.61
iphone 3 - $966.61

Best regards,
T-Mobile Business Care
Edmon G
T-Mobile Business Services Group
www.T-Mobile.com

This has been a complete nightmare.  I spent 16 years with ATT and left due to bad service.  I didnt think it could have gotten worse.  Boy was I wrong.  I have spent hours upon hours on hold and speaking to many many folks at T-Mobile.  I have come to the conclusion that its highly unlikely that I will be getting any “rebate”.  I hope I am wrong.  I really do think that T-Mobile has a great line up of services for the price and could be my forever home.  I am cautiously optimistic.  I am not her bashing on T-Mobile, I hope I am wrong.  As of today we are 21 days away from the 60 day date.  I did ask the rep today why it took so long for a “virtual” rebate to be provided?  Apparently its a 3rd party who handles this and us being in the 21st century where everything is digital takes longer.  Not sure I get it.  

I think the staff at T-Mobile is amazing,  I think their extra freebies and phone services are great.  I just dont believe anything I have been told short of the insider and credit I did get.  

I would advise before spending large amounts of money out of your own pocket that you get everything in writing.  I started my services with T-Mobile in July with their home internet service.  It worked ok, but not up to the speeds I really need.  So last week I cancelled that.  I was told I would get a shipping label via email.  After several days it never came.  I was told by the rep that I could take it to the store, so I did that… Waited in line for about 45 minutes to be told they couldnt take the modem that I had to return it via UPS.  I called again to finally get a rep who actually processed the cancelation and did get the label within minutes.  Its been a ride let me tell you!!!  There have been other issues… Its reached the point that when I call in, the reps look over the notes and they just cant believe how crazy this has been.  

Attached is the online portal showing the rebates.. .of which all 5 submissions have been denied.

I hope it works out and others dont have to enjoy the same experience.  Fingers Crossed!!!  I do apologize for the bit of “sarcasm”.  Its the only way I can tell this without blowing a gasket.  

Again, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that this gets sorted out.  I hope I am proved wrong!!!  

The 5 submissions all look like this.  I have yet to get any reimbursements.  Like I said, I did get the bill credit for the fold and the insider discount.  I told the reps that I am happy to give that up in lieu of getting what I was told I would receive.  

Enjoy!!!

•  

wondering if you ever got any resolution on the above issue ? I’m having similar issue bait and switch and deceptive promotion.

Userlevel 1

SAME HERE!!!! They’re terrible. I’ve been waiting since OCTOBER for a rebate card for three lines. Over 2k promised to pay of Verizon phones. Nothing but constant runaround for 6 months straight. They guy that sold me got a promotion and never looked back. Wish we never left ATT. I thought when we switched to Verizon that was terrible but T-Mobile is just as bad. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A JOKE!!!!! ZERO HELP. I’ve waited this long without reporting them. I’m over it. I’m filing a complaint with the FTC. You shop the same. Being nice gets you nowhere with T-Mobile. I only put it off for the hassle of filing the complaint by and to give them an opportunity to fix it. The guy that stuck me got a promotion if that gives you hope….Sarcasm. But what could take longer than waitron T-Mobile? Hate I switched from ATT. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same seems corporate can do whatever they want, why not they get fined and just steal more money from customers to pay the fines. T-mobile loves starving children, putting families in the streets, and ruining peoples credit. Might as well quit wasting my time and start filing with the FCC and the courts.

Userlevel 1
Badge

SAME HERE!!!! They’re terrible. I’ve been waiting since OCTOBER for a rebate card for three lines. Over 2k promised to pay of Verizon phones. Nothing but constant runaround for 6 months straight. They guy that sold me got a promotion and never looked back. Wish we never left ATT. I thought when we switched to Verizon that was terrible but T-Mobile is just as bad. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A JOKE!!!!! ZERO HELP. I’ve waited this long without reporting them. I’m over it. I’m filing a complaint with the FTC. You shop the same. Being nice gets you nowhere with T-Mobile. I only put it off for the hassle of filing the complaint by and to give them an opportunity to fix it. The guy that stuck me got a promotion if that gives you hope….Sarcasm. But what could take longer than waitron T-Mobile? Hate I switched from ATT. 

T-mobile is way worse then Verizon really

Userlevel 1

Shonne Nothen is the guy that stuck me. And he’s done exactly NOTHEN  to help. AND HE GOT A  PROMOTON and handed it off and refuses to take action or responsibility. I’ve been putting it off for the hassle of it but I’m going to go ahead and file my complaint with the FTC. I guess maybe the FCC as well if that makes a difference the federal trade commission as what I hear you need to file a complaint with. They should change the name from keep and  switch to bait and switch because that’s what it feels like for sure. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

been going on a long time, if T-mobile say’s it believe it’s a lie

Userlevel 1
Badge

Shonne Nothen is the guy that stuck me. And he’s done exactly NOTHEN  to help. AND HE GOT A  PROMOTON and handed it off and refuses to take action or responsibility. I’ve been putting it off for the hassle of it but I’m going to go ahead and file my complaint with the FTC. I guess maybe the FCC as well if that makes a difference the federal trade commission as what I hear you need to file a complaint with. They should change the name from keep and  switch to bait and switch because that’s what it feels like for sure. 

Don’t forget your states attorney 

It turns out t-mobile is no better than the other greedy net providers.  We have Hughes net as well as t-mobile.  Just trying to stream programs for around 200 month( rural geography) we unplugged t-mobile when using other.because if left connected, found out that it still drains data. I have had so many go arounds with customer service that I just give up...they always have a reason as to why we don't get enough data. Bottom line.  Live in the city if you don't want caps. I have been in both situations.  Maybe star link will be different. But don't count on anything.