Solved

Bait and switch pricing, is this the new T-mobile?

• 29 January 2020
  • 19 replies

I was seeing this is a trend with prior post. I recently split from my family plan and was promised a $55 unlimited plan. Then I upgraded my phone and today (while trying to sleep because I work nights) multiple calls back to back. I finally answer, I was told I had no choice and T-Mobile did not care what phone plan I was promise. I will now be put on a 75$ phone plan. Clearly a bait and switch company, I wonder how many other patrons this has happed to and why t-mobil feels it’s ok to strong arm and lie to their clients.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 4 February 2020, 19:43

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Do you know what plan it was because the only 1 line postpaid plans I see are the $60,$70 and $85 plans.

Also you said you upgraded your phone. Did you get special pricing on the phone because sometimes you need a

certain plan for to get the pricing for the phone.

Just a thought.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

gramps28 asked some great questions. I also haven't seen a $55 plan. Are you talking about our 55 Senior plan on our Magenta® Cell Phone Plans for Seniors | Age 55+ Discounts | T-Mobile page?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Were you able to look into gramps' and mike's suggestions? If so, let us know!

Badge

I was seeing this is a trend with prior post. I recently split from my family plan and was promised a $55 unlimited plan. Then I upgraded my phone and today (while trying to sleep because I work nights) multiple calls back to back. I finally answer, I was told I had no choice and T-Mobile did not care what phone plan I was promise. I will now be put on a 75$ phone plan. Clearly a bait and switch company, I wonder how many other patrons this has happed to and why t-mobil feels it’s ok to strong arm and lie to their clients.

I got the bait and switch as well. 

I was a T-Mobile customer for 10+ years. 2 years ago switched to Sprint. I was happy with the T-Mobile service, but I was sick and tired of all of these great promotions for new customers while the old, consistent, always-pay-on-time for 120+ months customers got crapped all over. 

After 18 months with Sprint I was unhappy with their service. Dropped calls, constant network problems, etc. Called T-Mobile and was told I could change back to T-Mobile. Was told I would get the Magenta+ plan with 3 lines for $140 a month including all taxes and fees. Paid off the devices I had with Sprint to change carriers. Called T-Mobile again, they reiterated the deal I would be getting but told me I had to go to a store to make the change because I was a Sprint customer. Went to a store and the store said they couldn’t do it. Came back home, called T-Mobile, they told me it HAD to be done in a store. T-Mobile rep called the store with me on the phone, the store said they just didn’t do it at that location because they had “had problems with it in the past.”

T-Mobile phone rep was very nice, found a store that was about 12 miles away that could do it. Drove to that store. Spent several hours while the rep there learned how to make the “migration.” Confirmed with this rep that I was getting such a better deal than with Sprint at $140 a month and better service. When the migration was finally over (more than an hour past store closing time) I asked how to pay for my setup fees and my receipt. She told there were no setup fees and that she didn’t have a receipt because I was a Sprint customer (now owned by TMobile), but that I would be getting a bill in 3 weeks. She confirmed that I would get the “line on us” promotion (again, $140 for 3 lines @ Magenta+, all taxes and fees included). 

When I got my first bill it was nearly $200. I called T-Mobile and they had notes on my account that states that they would give me this promotion, but they said their system wouldn’t allow it to be applied because it was a migration from Sprint. They gave me $35 off my bill (less than what I should have received to meet the promised price) and told me they would attempt to apply the promotion for the following month. 

Right now it’s the following month and I still don’t have the promotion on my account. Called again, rep was very nice but unable to really help. She again applied a $35 discount. She offered that I go to a lower plan to get the price to what I was promised. I don’t want that - I want the plan I was promised at the price I was promised. She then offered to increase my plan to the next level for the same price. The next level provides more data use and hotspot bandwidth, which I don’t really have a need for. 

I am very disappointed in this dishonest practice. If multiple representatives are promising a deal that cannot be provided, T-Mobile needs to work on it’s training and ensure that associates are properly communicating the plans and pricing. I’m a pretty capable person - I did not at any point misunderstand what I was being told. I was just given bad information. 

T-Mobile - you really need to fix this for me. Please give me the pricing you promised by multiple T-Mobile associates. 

Badge

Same thing happened to me unfortunately. I’m not sure why we are promised rates and then told since we migrated from Sprint this can’t be done. I don’t know if it is poor training at this point so since there are so many folks with the same issue--I think it is just dishonesty, which is disappointing. 

And the same thing happened to me.  On Sunday, November 14, 2021 i saw the $35 offer for Magenta 55+ for two lines but nowhere on the website did it mention what the price is for a single line.  Once I was in the store I found out that it would be $45 per month with taxes and fees included for a single line.  OK...I get that that the total deal for two lines is $70...$35 each.  But it ought to clearly state that and what the price is for a single line.    

I just received my first bill and was it for $45?  NO, it is $55!  I called customer service and Scott, the nice guy on the line started launching into why i might have misunderstood what the deal is and tried to explain it to me.   I tuned him out because I know BS when i hear it.  So I guess I am supposed to be ok with this, by the way, because I signed up for auto pay and get a $5 discount.  Most busy people would just let it go because now we are ONLY TALKING ABOUT A $5 DIFFERENCE PER MONTH since I thought it would be $45, but it is the principal of the thing that galls me.  With the discount I now ought to be paying $40 per month.

Also, I told him that I wanted to send an email with my specific complaint to customer service, but nowhere on the website is there an email address.  HE COULDN’T EVEN FIND IT!   I don’t know how the employees can be ok with working for a company like this.  The store manager is off today but will be in tomorrow.  He will be getting a visit from me.  If I don’t get some sort of restitution for this, I will be on the hunt for a new mobile service. 

I am about to retire and will have more time to spend complaining to and about these companies about their bait and switch tactics.  This is a time when social media will come in handy, too.  Hell hath no fury as a customer scorned. 

Userlevel 1

Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit? I was also promised one thing and delivered another. After numerous attempts, I have no resolution.  This is unlawful manipulation.

Userlevel 2

Same thing happened to me unfortunately. I’m not sure why we are promised rates and then told since we migrated from Sprint this can’t be done. I don’t know if it is poor training at this point so since there are so many folks with the same issue--I think it is just dishonesty, which is disappointing. 

They lie about EVERTHING!!!!

Userlevel 2

They lie about EVERYTHING. I AM STARTING A T MOBILE BLOG. PEOPLE MUST BE WARNED!!!!

Userlevel 2

I have 3 FB Pages, 2 Insta accounts, and I tweet like a flock of birds. I have over 18,000 followers on one accout. EVERYONE WILL KNOW!!!

I had to speak with 6 different agents before I was finally successfully at getting my bill lowered from $55 to $45. I then discovered I was signed up for paramount plus and charged $4.99...even though it's supposed to be free even IF I signed up? Tmobile sent out a phone after my pos phone screen cracked when I dropped it...with a screen protector. Mind you, it's a significant down grade. But on my bill they show it as part of their "jump" program? They sent to an address I'd not lived at in over 2 years, charged me anyway. Tmobile seems to doing things similar to wells Fargo. Signing customers up for things they don't know about, promising refunds and don't. .I filed a complaint with my local bbb, told they didn't handle the particular office I'd filed against in sandy ut and gave an address in a different state? Next thing I know I'm getting an email from a Bellevue bbb with a response from Jessica with tmobile stating I'm not authorized on MY ACCOUNT AND REQUESTED the bbb close my complaint....and without any inquiry the bbb did!! My next step is the CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY, THEN MY STATE'S ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE. PERHAPS IF ENOUGH CUSTOMERS CONTINUE CONTACTING THESE OFFICES IN THEIR STATES WITH SIMILAR EXPERIENCES,  EVENTUALLY THEYLL HAVE TO LISTEN. 

Please, Tmobiles hubris seems to be similar to wells Fargo before the bank was taken down by employees. I too was subject to ridiculous payment amounts if almost $70. I filed a complaint with the BBB, tmobile rep said I wasn't authorized on my own account and requested the complaint closed. I've since discovered that the FCC will take complaints and forward to the merchant.  Maybe if enough of us file complaints, we can get results.  

Report bait and switch issues to the Attorney General in the state of the store that you bought your your phone in. If you made your purchase online, then report them to the Attorney General of the state that you live in. Keep all the documentation that provides support of the bait and switch. 

I have spent hours literally hours on the phone with customer service over the past year I was a sprint customer and migrated to T-Mobile against better judgment and being that I’m 55 and my parents are as well we all went on the same plan because in theory it is going to be less expensive. at the store in Memphis Tennessee unhewn Avenue we were told that since I was migrating from Sprint to T-Mobile that they had an end of month special that two lines at regular cost of 45 each and the third line would be free. I have had numerous people at customer service say yes they say that that’s how it supposed to be they’re going to fix it right now and nothing gets fixed I’ve had people in the store tell me yes that was what was supposed to be but it didn’t apply to that plan yet the sales associates are the one who put us on the plan they have refused to make a correction stating that it just can’t happen because that’s already discounted. Well it’s odd that’s already discounted because the 55+ plan now is less than $55 a month so T-Mobile is this another lie another bait and switch how many people have you screwed over and chase off you’ve gotten so big that you don’t care about your individual customers it’s only the volume that you were interested you shame on you I would love to join a class action suit against T-Mobile when you make a promise to customer follow through with it even if it’s wrong you have to follow through with it don’t get them to sign up for it and then after the fact say oh sorry we can’t do that. Train your associate train your managers this was a manager that quoted these prices to all three of us. And I know I’m not the only one that has the same complaint shame on you T-Mobile taking advantage of senior citizens veterans first responders do you know when you can for a dollar.

Badge

I had same problem but T-mobile solution was to change what rebate they were going to use. Then after they change it and had me send in multiple documents they told me it was not valid. Think they told me a bunch of bull to get me to switch from Verizon. I regret being with T-Mobile They made it seem so easy to switch told me all about how they take care of first responders and had a deal for us yeah still waiting to see that. I am completely discussed with t-moblie there customer service is completely aweful !! T-Mobile keep the $1200.00 I know you need it so bad. 

T-Mobile is definitely a BAIT & SWITCH company - Recently we were told we could no longer pay our bill on a credit card and receive the $10 discount we were promised in the store earlier this year.   They want to do a bank account or a debit card. Talked to their customer service and they really have not excuse for the change - I am going to start looking for another carrier.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It’s gonna get even worse in November.  Hope you do not have a financed phone.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-is-forcibly-moving-those-on-older-plans-to-some-of-its-newer-ones-in-november/

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It’s gonna get even worse in November.  Hope you do not have a financed phone.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-is-forcibly-moving-those-on-older-plans-to-some-of-its-newer-ones-in-november/

it also says how you can opt out

I have 3 FB Pages, 2 Insta accounts, and I tweet like a flock of birds. I have over 18,000 followers on one accout. EVERYONE WILL KNOW!!!

And they still do it.... we are doomed as a society