Solved

Being charged for phone after returning back to Assurant...

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I'm having a really stressful time right now getting the run around from T-Mobile and Assurant regarding a phone claim I have. The Merchant Return Labal states: PERMIT NO. 395 LANCASTER, PA Assurant YORK PA, 17402 625 WILLOW SPRINGS LANE STE A; RMA # 405-32835102-3.

I've been charged 300$ on my phone bill, despite returning this phone almost a month ago. When I call up Assurant they state the warehouse still hasn't recieved it. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of for a mistake on Assurant's end, and T Mobile says they can't refund the money on my bill. I'm literally at a loss for words, I sent it and feel like it's 100% their responsibility for not receiving it, what should I do?

icon

Best answer by snn_555 8 July 2017, 12:39

View original

60 replies

Badge

I was told the same thing by Assurant, that the package was delivered but they were unable to locate the device.  I pointed out the insurance policy states the device must be delivered and the tracking info proves it was delivered and I am not responsible for what happens to it after delivery. Assurant lost it or someone at Assurant has taken the device.  Not my problem.  I had a 3 way call going and this was stated and recorded.  

You need to get T mobile on the phone when you speak with Assurant, many of the Assurant customer service reps hung up on me or lied and stated they had no record of my numerous calls. Terrible company and they are recommended by T mobile.  

Userlevel 1

I was told the same thing by Assurant, that the package was delivered but they were unable to locate the device.  I pointed out the insurance policy states the device must be delivered and the tracking info proves it was delivered and I am not responsible for what happens to it after delivery. Assurant lost it or someone at Assurant has taken the device.  Not my problem.  I had a 3 way call going and this was stated and recorded.  

You need to get T mobile on the phone when you speak with Assurant, many of the Assurant customer service reps hung up on me or lied and stated they had no record of my numerous calls. Terrible company and they are recommended by T mobile.  

Yes they are. I had today T-Mobile rep and Assurant on the line. The rep stated the charges are valid and they could not do anything to adjust the charges. I have the USPS tracking info stating it was hand delivered. They are claim package was empty. I have been with T-Mobile for over 10 years and paying the policy for the same amount of time, which they seem to go up every year $18 a month on 5 different devices. The Tmobile rep said he was going to take care of it. To give him 10 days. Let see what happens.

So this post is 4 years old and there are still replies from days ago with dozens of people experiencing the same problem, yet only 1 or 2 have posted their resolutions. I just went through the same thing, so I want to share how my situation was resolved. I don’t want to repeat the same story that we see in all these posts; claim with assurant, receive new phone, ship damaged phone, get non-return fee on bill, contact tmobile/assurant, check tracking number, assurant claims they received an empty envelope. 

After that, I went through multiple calls with assurant and tmobile, they each ran their “investigations” to find the phone, to no avail. Assurant pretty much cornered me stating that they received an empty package and that all I could do was file a claim with USPS.

Though the whole ordeal is so ridiculous, it was only at this point that I decided it was too much; why would i have to waste my time, trying to find a phone that I did my part with and shipped out? So instead of a claim with USPS, I went on the assurant website where they have a form that you can fill out to request information. I filled out my info, my claim number, and I asked for the name, phone number, and other contact info of the person who is in charge of my claim, so that I could properly list them as the defendant in a small claims court case that I would open up. NOT 2 HOURS later I received a phone call from assurant “corporate offices”. This lady said she could help me and that all she needed to do was track down the shipping info and see what the weight of the package was when I shipped it. So I told her I have the receipt and that it shows the weight was 8oz. She asked me to email a copy of the receipt, I did that within a few minutes, and that same night she emailed me back saying that she applied the credit for the non-return fee to my account.

I hope this helps others!!

TL;DR just contact assurant and say that you will sue… they’ll resolve your issue right away. 

Userlevel 1

So this post is 4 years old and there are still replies from days ago with dozens of people experiencing the same problem, yet only 1 or 2 have posted their resolutions. I just went through the same thing, so I want to share how my situation was resolved. I don’t want to repeat the same story that we see in all these posts; claim with assurant, receive new phone, ship damaged phone, get non-return fee on bill, contact tmobile/assurant, check tracking number, assurant claims they received an empty envelope. 

After that, I went through multiple calls with assurant and tmobile, they each ran their “investigations” to find the phone, to no avail. Assurant pretty much cornered me stating that they received an empty package and that all I could do was file a claim with USPS.

Though the whole ordeal is so ridiculous, it was only at this point that I decided it was too much; why would i have to waste my time, trying to find a phone that I did my part with and shipped out? So instead of a claim with USPS, I went on the assurant website where they have a form that you can fill out to request information. I filled out my info, my claim number, and I asked for the name, phone number, and other contact info of the person who is in charge of my claim, so that I could properly list them as the defendant in a small claims court case that I would open up. NOT 2 HOURS later I received a phone call from assurant “corporate offices”. This lady said she could help me and that all she needed to do was track down the shipping info and see what the weight of the package was when I shipped it. So I told her I have the receipt and that it shows the weight was 8oz. She asked me to email a copy of the receipt, I did that within a few minutes, and that same night she emailed me back saying that she applied the credit for the non-return fee to my account.

TL;DR just contact assurant and say that you will sue… they’ll resolve your issue right away. 

Thank god you got it cleared up. I ended up filing a BBB complaint and Assurant called me back the next day. They issued the credit. My next step was to file a claim at small claims court I was even looking at how to open class action suit with all the complaints I was seeing around on the internet. But it has been resolved. Thanks for your reply

This same thing has happened to my family. We sent the phone with the pre posted envelope they provided and then now I finally hear that they never got it. This makes me so upset they are trying to charge me the whole price of my device that I returned just the exact same way I have always sent it and never had a problem. This is a huge problem! Not cool at all that this is happening to so many people! Not cool at all! I can't believe this to say the least...we have been with tmobile since before they were tmobile and never ever had a problem like this. I really hope they can find it because this is such a head ache and so un fair can't believe this. If this isn't fixed by them my family and our 8 lines will for sure switch up company's for a company who will be more responsible for their mistakes. My next step will be small claims court tho I really don't want to but I also feel that they need to be held responsible. Saving all of these same complaints in my records as well. Might help in the future especially if this goes to court.

This nightmare is happening to me. I have auto pay and they took 885.00 dollars out of my account. I have been nonstop calling saying it will be resolved and it never does. I feel robbed and have no rights. I can not miss anymore work over this. I believe this is their plan to wear you down so you give up. This amount has hurt me in so many ways. I just don't even know what to do anymore.

I’m going through the same issue, returned a phone on July 1, 2021 with receipt that it was delivered at the warehouse but T mobile charged me $506 plus the $99 deductible for insurance anyway stating they can’t find it.  I have spent 20 hours on the phone and talked with numerous customer service reps, they always promise to get back to Me or credit my account but it never happens.  None have every followed up with me. T mobile and Assurant are terrible companies and are running a scam and getting away with it.  Spread the word to not use T mobile and not to let them talk you into their insurance.  I was on autopay and disputed the charge and my credit card co agreed with me but T mobile is now threatening  collections.  So frustrating.  

I am going thru this same issue, since July.  I am going to file a complaint with BBB. I think we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit. 

I completely agree! Class action 👍 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I completely agree! Class action 👍 

Not a possibility, unless you opted out of T-Mobile Terms & Conditions within 30 days of first service.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

HOW DO I RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH T-MOBILE?

By accepting these T&Cs, you are agreeing to resolve any dispute with us through binding arbitration or small claims dispute procedures (unless you opt out), and to waive your rights to a jury trial and to participate in any class action suit.

YOU MAY CHOOSE TO PURSUE YOUR CLAIM IN COURT AND NOT BY ARBITRATION IF YOU OPT OUT OF THESE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE EARLIER OF THE DATE YOU PURCHASED A DEVICE FROM US OR THE DATE YOU ACTIVATED A NEW LINE OF SERVICE (the “Opt Out Deadline”).

Userlevel 1

This same thing has happened to my family. We sent the phone with the pre posted envelope they provided and then now I finally hear that they never got it. This makes me so upset they are trying to charge me the whole price of my device that I returned just the exact same way I have always sent it and never had a problem. This is a huge problem! Not cool at all that this is happening to so many people! Not cool at all! I can't believe this to say the least...we have been with tmobile since before they were tmobile and never ever had a problem like this. I really hope they can find it because this is such a head ache and so un fair can't believe this. If this isn't fixed by them my family and our 8 lines will for sure switch up company's for a company who will be more responsible for their mistakes. My next step will be small claims court tho I really don't want to but I also feel that they need to be held responsible. Saving all of these same complaints in my records as well. Might help in the future especially if this goes to court.

Go online and file BBB complaint. They called me the next day and it was resolved. Best of luck. I do believe a class action lawsuit would be good. They are doing this to many people.

Person asked my phone to call. She just dialed two numbers and did not say a word. In an hour I found that my phone balance became 1400. Is there something I can do with that? Please help!!!

it’s looking like we will have to get our lawyer involved, i have never been treated so unfairly, i have a voice mail massage on my phone of the rep. telling me they received my phone and will be removing the charge, and now i speak to someone else and he says no they can not remove the charge, but they have the phone and still wants to charge me, I don't see me or my husband paying for something we do not have. i just pray she can hold them responsible for paying our lawyer fees also 

Oh my God. I cannot believe this is happening to a lot of people. I returned their phone a month ago and I was sent a mail saying I didn't return the phone. I called Tmobile and was transferred to assurant. The agent said they have received the phone and that it wasn't scanned by the warehouse. They said the issue will be resolved in few days but nothing was resolved. Then I received another mail, called Tmobile spoke to them, I was transferred to assurant and the rep said they have the phone but now I'm being charged 568 dollars. I am beyond upset. They can't be doing this to their customers. 

I returned a phone Google PIXEL Pro on 12/02/21. T Mobile said they never received it.  The USPS said it was LOST.  Now, TMobile said they will NOT reimburse me.  TMobile said there is NOTHING they can do.  T Mobile service SUCKS.  T Mobile always end their call saying they always give their personal assurance...they LIE!!! WORST CELL PHONE COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!!  DO NOT USE T MOBILE!!!

file complaint to Better Business Bureau!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I returned a phone Google PIXEL Pro on 12/02/21. T Mobile said they never received it.  The USPS said it was LOST.  Now, TMobile said they will NOT reimburse me.  TMobile said there is NOTHING they can do.  T Mobile service SUCKS.  T Mobile always end their call saying they always give their personal assurance...they LIE!!! WORST CELL PHONE COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!!  DO NOT USE T MOBILE!!!

youre missing the biggest part of this..if USPS said it was lost.(theyre the ones that were supposed to ship it to TMO correct?).whos hands were on it last..USPS. then it isnt on TMO for losing it. this would be something you need to hammer down on USPS about..

This is funny I’m going through sale situation sent the phone now they saying box was empty this is bullshitt

well, same here, USPS tracking stop since Jan 10 and now they are charging me and said that i need to call usps to see what happens to the package but they cannot remove charges

thanks for the advice, i filled the form at 925pm last night, today at 3am i received an email “thanks for return your device” even when USPS still show package on transit.

Userlevel 1

It is astounding to see all the people with the same "empty envelope" issue. I had the exact same thing happen in October 2020.

The first Assurant rep told me they had the device in the warehouse after a long hold. A subsequent rep and manager told me they assumed the device was there but the envelope was open and empty. They told me I should have paid for shipping and insurance myself, which I will do if I ever have to deal with Assurant again.

One rep told me they don't verify the IMEI number, another said they did. One said they weighed the envelope but refused to tell me what it weighed. The manager at Assurant told me I was going to pay the fee even though the first rep noted in my account they had the device (not just the envelope). The manager said the notes weren't mine and that I am going to pay. Basically, Assurant obviously has some serious theft or serious operational issues, and it's clear we end users are not their customers.

TMobile took care of it on the first call. It may be because I've been there over 20 years or I just got the right representative. I am going to file a complaint against Assurant with the Washington state insurance commissioner and I suggest others do the same.

I'm glad some people had luck with the BBB but it too is a private company and has enforcement mechanism other than publishing a bad score. Many companies don't even care about their BBB rating.

I hope TMobile finds a different insurance company to partner with.

I'm going through a similar bad dream. I changed 2 telephones from Sprint to TMobile in April 2020. I took care of the 700 I owed on my old telephones and sent them back utilizing their USPS mark. I didn't discover until August that the telephones had not shown up and presently need to charge me 1500 for the new TMobile telephones. I have called them relentless, they verified whether my old telephones are being utilized however it was resolved that they have not been turned on since April. The two telephones should be sitting some place however nobody can track down them. Issue is they are charging me and will destroy my credit on the off chance that I don't pay. Exceptionally disappointing!!!

Isn't it great how T-Mobile makes you sign into the account to leave a message. Nothing sus about that at all.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since 2001. I started on a different ban (think account) than I have today, but only because I outgrew the first ban with too many lines and needed a second ban to accommodate. To say I didn't like T-Mobile after 21 years would be a lie. And during that time I have always purchased and maintained Insurance on my phone's. I currently have eight phones. AND- until one day ago, I had Insurance on all of them, or so I thought. Over the past 18 months, three of the screens got cracked. I was busy homeschooling my daughter and working full time and such due to Covid, and a cracked screen simply wasn't a priority. But - I wasn't worried because I was covered, right? I was certainly making the payment each month. So two days ago I decided to use the insurance to get the screens fixed. I didn't want new phones, just to get the screens fixed. So I called support and was directed to MyTmoClaim dot com and began the claims process. I was asked to provide the date of the incident. I didn't know the exact date, but I wasn't worried. THE PHONES HAD NEVER NOT BEEN INSURED,  so I put 1/1 2022 - just to have an easy to remember date. The result? Claim Denied. Hmm... Odd. So the calls to both T-Mobile and Assurant began. It was a nightmare. Six or seven calls and multiple hold scenarios. In the end I got no new screen and was so pissed off, I removed insurance from all my phone's. Here's what I discovered at the end of the day:

In order for the insurance I paid for for all those years to be valid, the "incident date" had to occur within sixty (60) days of the claim date. So by not entering an incident date of say, last week, I disqualified the claim. This is the dirty secret they couch in all kinds of weird verbiage. It took me until THE VERY LAST CALL OF THE DAY to finally get this out of them, and even then it took a while because of the language they used. 

Then T-Mobile used the old, "Well, they're a different company than us..." ploy. Well, you know what? YOU'RE selling it to YOUR customers. You are one of the biggest carriers worldwide. Don't act like you don't own that relationship. They would do anything not to lose your business. You should demand better coverage for your customers. 

I decided to type this here as a means to keep my word to T-Mobile to share this bad experience everywhere I am able, and I request that you do the same. Copy, Paste. If you choose to keep the coverage, the incident date should ALWAYS be, "last week." Pick a day - any day last week, and use that. Unless and until a class action lawsuit gets filed, you and I were not covered 61 days ago. Enter 61 days ago as your incident date and your claim will be denied, so always use last week.

Or better yet, do what I did: say goodbye to the coverage that would penalize a customer of 21 years who always bought insurance. That's evil AF. And every time I look at my screen and see the cracks they didn't cover, I will post something similar to this message somewhere. Copy, Paste 

T-Mobile: shame on you. You lost the right to talk to me about Customer Experience ever again. 

And Assurant: may Karma find you at home. Not just for me, but for the millions you are stealing from. 

It's a cute little scam you have going there. Sixty days. Really? Come on Karma!

And now I have to copy this for later. 

You let me down, T-Mobile. You're better than this. Fix it. 

If I have to  do all that  I'm leaving T-mobile  and I'm spreading the word about this. This seems like Sprint BS.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do Not Purchase the Assurant Insurance (DBA American Security Insurance Company). It is a waste of money and time. They charge a certain fee for Each Line Every Month. Then, when you have a claim, they charge an Additional Large Premium cost for each Claim. It is not worth the money. Then, the Customer Service is the Absolute Worst. They make it hard to receive a replacement device. 

To report a claim over the phone, you will get hung up on alot. They will lie about the 'reason' for your claim. The replacement devices were full of malware and defective upon arrival.

They do not like to honor their 180 day warranty. They just sent me back my old phone. The only way to submit a warranty claim is to call and they will give you a hard time over the phone.

I will be removing this service. It is not needed when they take your money easily but do not want you to use their service.

I am so disappointed in this company. T-Mobile try a different insurance company. I am thinking about leaving T-Mobile as well because their service is lacking and then, having to deal with a fraudulent insurance company as well is too exhausting.

Save Yourself the headache, the reviews are here for you to really choose wisely. You do not want to deak with companies that do not have Integrity

Yeah, T-Mobile has gone way down hill.  I’ll be doing everything I can to find a better carrier.  The fact that they don’t back up their customer for an insurance service they market under their name is disgusting.  I spent at leas 5 hours on the phone being ping ponged back and fourth after being denied a claim because I was swapping my sim from my damaged phone to an older backup phone.  Even though I had the sim back in my phone on the date I filed my claim I was told repeatedly by Assurant and T-Mobile that my account didn’t show the covered phone on my account on the date of the claim.  A supervisor at T-Mobile tried to sell me a new phone at the full cost and said their was nothing they could do.  Literally they were willing to do nothing.  No credit, no new deal on a phone.  Total B.S.  Finally, only by chance, I got a floor manager at Assurant who was able to dig deeper into my t-mobile account and verify that I in fact had my phone active and covered when I filed my claim and immediately approved my denied claim.  The only company I can give some credit to is Assurant for finally coming through.  T-Mobile is useless.  The only reason I stick with them is the Netflix and Free international  roaming.  I’ll be looking at other options now.  Any loyalty I had as a t-mobile customer is gone!

Kind of having a similar problem except I got a text and an email saying my unit has been received and then about month later they are charging me 900 bucks for another phone , very frustrating they say they have all the required info to remove the mistake but feels like a run around

Going through this right now! Assurant accidentally sent me 2 phones after my phone was stolen back in Nov 2022, i sent the extra phone back and it was delivered Dec 5th, but I’m being charged $900 for the phone by T Mobile because Assurant is saying the phone hasn’t been scanned in. I’m exhausted it’s now April!!! And the charge remains on my account. I’ve spoken to countless reps both at T mobile and Assurant month after month with no resolution. Every month my service is threatened to be disconnected and i have to call in and explain this story over and over and a T-Mobile rep has to push my account out until Assurant credits my account. Assurant is such a scam! They’ve confirmed the package was delivered but still won’t credit my account. Now i wake up this morning and my service is disconnected and i have to call in to explain this whole story over again to restore my service!