Solved

Being told I'll lose Jump 1.0 (grandfathered) if I upgrade? Is this True?

• 25 September 2018
  • 8 replies

So I went to T-Mobile tonight in an attempt to upgrade my Note 8 to a Note 9. I've had the original Jump 1.0 since 2013 and have been grandfathered this entire time.

The online portal shows that I would owe $110 down and owe 31.67 per month (price was recently discounted to $870). When I went through it, right at the last step it took away the down payment and instead just charged me tax on the total purchase price. It upped the monthly amount to $36.xx and changed my insurance/tmobile Jump fee from $12 to $15 for the new 360 insurance plan. That concerned me a bit, so we did the same process with the rep at the store. It resulted in the same thing.

I didn't think it was a big deal, they've increased the insurance price before (from $10 > $12), but then I read the details of the new 360 plan. Apparently, under its terms, the phone is a LEASE and you cannot trade it in until 50% is paid off. This is completely different than the original terms of Jump 1.0, so the Rep called in to talk to someone at T-Mobile.

Their explanation was priceless. They explained that while I was grandfathered in Jump 1.0 and could keep it as long as I wanted, as soon as I executed an upgrade I would be converted to the new 360 plan and no longer on Jump 1.0. She explained this wasn't wrong because they technically weren't forcing me out of my grandfathered plan and I could keep it as long as I wanted... as long as I didn't upgrade. I spoke to her "manager" who explained the same thing and said things are always changing and I couldn't expect to stay on Jump 1.0. He argued that the 50% thing was in fact a benefit and that it didn't matter that the phone was now a LEASE because that's basically how I was treating it before.

Needless to say, I hung up and left the store. However, prior to leaving, I was shown an internal knowledge base article for Reps stating that as of a certain date in 2014, anyone who had Jump 1.0 was grandfathered. She also showed me my account and it still showed me as a Jump 1.0 customer.

So here's my question: If I choose to upgrade and they simply change the name but my account still shows as Jump 1.0 on their internal system, I don't care. Is that the case? Or am I screwed and there's no way to keep Jump? If the latter is true, I'm just going to dump T-Mobile altogether. I've given them over $7500 in the last 5 years and may as well give AT&T my money if I'm going to be treated like crap regardless (better coverage).

I have a feeling that most Jump 1.0 customers are losing it by simply going through the "standard" process and not reading the fine print, so I figured I'd ask it here.

icon

Best answer by magentatechie 26 September 2018, 17:41

View original

8 replies

Yeah I'm truely upset about not being "grandfathered" in to the jump 1.0 but for me that switched me when moved my line from one account to another on T-Mobile which I had done before and kept my Jump 1.0 and I  didn't even switch phones. This is crap. I have to pay $18 a month for insurance which doesn't even include jump where as jump 1.0 included insurance and was $12 a month. My deductables are NOT cheaper. It went from $150 or so where around there to now $250 and now I have to pay off my remaining device to 50% to have them pay off the remaining balance before I can jump instead of just being able to jump twice a year whenever I wanted without having to be at 50%.

When upgrading my phone I has to pay over $300 to pay off my remaining device plus pay another for the taxes and fees for the new device and now my monthly payment is like $55 dollars a Noth instead of the $31.67

Just realized this happened when I was thinking I could upgrade to S10 today and noticed that the site said I have to wait 99 more days. The funny thing is that when I noticed I had been switched to Protect-360 at a higher price (saw the change on my bill), I called customer support and was assured that it didn't affect my upgrade dates, it just gave me the better accident protection with lower deductibles. They assured me I would still have the Jump 1.0 upgrade capability. I'll give the customer rep the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't understand - probably saw the Jump 1.0 on the computer and assumed. I do blame TMobile, though, for breaking their agreement to make some more money at the expense of customer satisfaction. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I used to think Verizon had great customer service, then they started pulling stuff like this. After a couple incidents, I left Verizon. Hopefully, screwing over loyal customers is only going to happen this once with T-Mobile.

I had the same issue.  I went to jump from the S9 to the OnePlus 6T phone and was told it required a higher level of protection.  There was no way around this.  Went to the store and they told me the same thing.  So, it is either you choose to switch to another plan or never upgrade.  I have enjoyed being with T-Mobile because honestly, they were putting customers first.  Then at some point within the last couple of years they started being more about money like most businesses.  They tend to shift to one side or the other depending on how their business was doing.  I guess they are doing great and can focus on money at this point.

Here is the tricky part of it though. I had noticed "Protection 360" was put on my account for my phone.  I called about it and was curious about the Oneplus 6T upgrade anyways. I was being told i had to pay off half the device before I could jump.  Argued with the person on the phone about the original jump program and how I never authorized any changes on my account, this was mid-November. They put "Jump 1.0" on my phone line and the rest of the phones on my account now showed as "Jump 2.0". I was told I could jump my phone December 5th of this year without having to pay off the device since they realized I had Jump 1.0. They neglected to tell me I would be forced to get rid of Jump 1.0 when doing so.

Why is this a problem?  Well, the only purpose of having Jump 1.0 over Jump 2.0 is because of the fact you don't have to pay off half of the device before upgrading your phone.  Everything else is still the same pretty much.  They changed it because they were losing money which is understandable. Just never thought I would see them giving their customers an ultimatum.  It's a loop hole they get to use and remain saying they are the good guys here and not forcing anyone to do anything.  Which technically they are not forcing you, unless you are wanting to upgrade your phone, but the whole purpose was to upgrade the phone with Jump.

Bur wasn't the point of the jump 1.0 program supposed to be that you could upgrade? That is why we purchased jump 1.0 to begin with! I know the original terms of the jump program didn't state the prohibition of future upgrades. But did it state that TMobile had the discretion to change the terms to such a degree that it negated the purpose of the program?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I'm so sorry but unfortunately, everything that you've experienced is correct.  Your current coverage will remain intact until your next qualifying event, such as an upgrade or major account change.  How this works is that you'd be moved over to Protect<360> (if you opt for 360 instead of a standard PHP, which does not include upgrade benefits) and encompassed is the ability to upgrade a device after 50% of the phone is paid off (typically after 12 months).  This is still a traditional 24-month EIP that you've always utilized, only the ability to upgrade twice yearly is no longer available.

If you decide to go with a JUMP! on Demand lease, you will have the ability to upgrade every 30 days and you can choose a basic PHP or Protect<360> to cover your phone.  The major difference between the two (aside from the JUMP! 2 benefits) is that with 360, you are alloted an extra claim per year, Apple Care for eligible devices, free Screen Protector replacements for life if purchased at a retail location and applied by an employee during a new purchase or upgrade, access to Tech PHD app features, and McAfee Security for T-Mobile with ID Theft Protection.  They both include an extended warranty as well as a lower deductible for device damage.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I can look into this with more detail tomorrow, but my understanding is that 360 is the new insurance plan name but it's separate from the financing of the device.  When you said it makes it a lease, this isn't the case. Only if you opt for JUMP! on Demand as your payment option does it become a "lease," which has its own set of pros and cons.  With a lease, you can upgrade your device every 30 days, but there may still be down payments involved depending on what phone is chosen.  I'm not aware as of right now that the JUMP! 1.0 ability has gone away, perhaps the mods can look at this in the mean time as I don't have access to all of my resources right now.

I'm trying to use my Jump 1.0 for a new EIP, but it appears as though it may no longer exist as an option. I'm currently at a second t-mobile store and they're calling in as well. They have not heard of any changes but their computer shows the same.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

When you put in for the upgrade, did you opt to use your JUMP! for a new EIP, or did you change to a JUMP! on Demand? I was confused because you mentioned a lease...