Solved

Bringing Sprint iPhone 6s to T-Mobile/Porting Number to Existing T-mobile SIM

• 26 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi there.  I'm just looking for some advice here.  Hopefully someone here can tell me how to best proceed.

A while back I purchased a second line to take advantage of the 2 lines for $100 promotion with the intent that once my girlfriend paid off her account with sprint she would join my account as the second line.  T-mobile assured me this is possible, we'd just have to get the device and number unlocked after paying off Sprint.

We are finally getting around to it and I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this is.  Tell me if this sounds correct...

1.  Pay off the device/account with Sprint and ask that they fully unlock the device. (Does this take a while to get unlocked?)

2.  Place existing T-mobile sim card from second (unused) line in the iPhone and ensure it has full functionality on the T-mobile network.

3.  Cancel account with Sprint and ask them to release her existing phone number.

4. Contact T-mobile to have them port her existing number over to the existing SIM card from my unused second line.

5. Make sure that no changes are made to my T-mobile account structure to maintain my same rate.

Does that sound about right?  How long does this process typically take?  And should I do this in store or over the phone?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by snn555 26 January 2018, 22:02

Pay off Sprint phone.

Get unlock requested.

Verify it is unlocked with Sprint.

Make sure all debt is paid.

TMobile will port the number for you.

(You can give Sprint a heads up, but that'll lead to sales tactics.

Use another carrier sim to make sure unlocked.

Use phone.

You can also use iTunes to unlock after Sprint sends request. 24-48+ hours after request.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6

Pay off Sprint phone.

Get unlock requested.

Verify it is unlocked with Sprint.

Make sure all debt is paid.

TMobile will port the number for you.

(You can give Sprint a heads up, but that'll lead to sales tactics.

Use another carrier sim to make sure unlocked.

Use phone.

You can also use iTunes to unlock after Sprint sends request. 24-48+ hours after request.

Thanks for the assistance.

Funny you should mention sales tactics... when we've gone into the Sprint store before they didn't even try. Were not overly concerned with retaining her business or unhelpful. More had a "lost another one again today" feel to it.

Userlevel 6

I should probably differentiate because a sales tactic would be one that leads to more sales but a caring customer attitude would lead to customer retention.

Userlevel 6

I think @snn555​ covered the order of operations pretty darn well here, but I just wanted to suggest that once you've completed the unlock request with your girlfriend's current carrier, I'd try placing an active SIM for another carrier in the phone to make sure the unlock's complete before you do the port process. Unlocks -- at least on our end -- can take 24 - 48 hours for a standard process (read: no hiccups), so double checking before you complete the rest of the steps is the better-safe-than-sorry route. 😊
You also might want to take a look at these how-tos for bringing a non T-Mobile device over: Bring your own device setup guide​. Hope everything goes well, please let us know if you have any more questions!

Userlevel 7

I'd like to just mention that you need to make sure that Sprint unlocks the phone fully for domestic reuse. They are famous (infamous) for just unlocking for international use and leaving the domestic side locked. I've heard obtaining an unlock from Sprint described as "like pulling teeth". The actual unlock is accomplished by syncing the phone in iTunes. If you have a SIM from another carrier, you can use it to verify the unlock.

How do I go about making sure that Sprint does a full unlock of the device?  Is there some tactic for dealing with them?

I read somewhere that by law any iphone after x date must be fully unlockable and that by law the carrier must comply provided the account is settled. 

By SIM from another carrier you mean a carrier other than Sprint yes?  I have another sim in my old phone that is tied to my second line.  She actually used it in Mexico a few months back, but otherwise it is totally unused.  Funny enough, as long as I stay below 2 gigs on my line its cheaper to have the two lines on this plan than with only my single line on simple choice or whatever the last plan was called.

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 6

While that law maybe in effect that doesn't stop a carrier from making it as difficult as possible while if you jump through enough Hoops you get the same result you just get the headache in between as well.

Userlevel 7

You need to be very explicit about what you are asking for and make sure that you get the name of the rep and ask them how they spell their name, so that they know that you are making notes. You need a compatible non-Sprint domestic SIM that you can insert in the phone to confirm that it is actually unlocked.