Solved

Caller ID Not Correct

• 18 August 2017
  • 13 replies

I have a $45 prepay 30-day plan. I am trying before I switch from AT&T. When I call the receiving party Caller ID window reads "Cell Phone IL" and my cell number but not my name as it did under my AT&T Number. I called T-Mobile 5 hours ago and they said it should take an hour or so for the record to update. It still is not listing my name and people are not answering my call since they don;t know the number being displayed.  How can I get the display to show my name?

icon

Best answer by tmo_chris 26 August 2017, 18:15

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I've never had my name displayed. Like most all mobile numbers mine is just the number and supposed city and state. However. When I quizzed a tmo rep about making sure my name did not appear they assured me it was removed. So. Seems both are possible and may take some time.for the system to update.

The whole name-ID system is a kludge. When one company's phone calls a different company's phone, no name information is transferred, just a number. The 2nd company then looks that number up in a database to present it to their customer. There are different name database services run by different providers. Propagating name changes to all the databases and getting the names to stick is an oft problematic exercise. They seem to be doing better now. A couple of years ago wrong names showing up in caller ID was a very common complaint.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Yes. Then you have the caller ID apps. Some don't list a name but Google has the info. Some have the wrong name and still yet there are businesses that call me and the ID shows the personal name of the line owner rather than the name of the business. T-Mobile uses Hiya for Name ID. So yeah. Multiple sources with conflicting info that merge and separate and reorder and just make a mess of it all.

Userlevel 3

Hello, @allenm28!

Welcome to T-Mobile and our Support Community! Any luck on your Caller ID updating?

Userlevel 4

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Just to interject here a bit, with our pay in advance accounts, we do not have the ability to display your name. The only thing that will display on peoples caller IDs is going to be "Wireless Caller" or some other variant like you are seeing such as "Cell Phone".

I've experienced this issue before. Normally it requires a trouble ticket to be filed with a technical support representative over the phone. If you escalate this to the right person it will be resolved. Unfortunately I've only seen it successfully done over the phone, specifically with the Technical Support department. I hope this helps.

I have several lines on my account.   Our caller id names were correct and then one of our numbers was changed (not by us).  Took weeks for TMobile to correct.  Once they did, another number's caller id immediately changed.   Tmobile has been diligent in calling each week and assuring us it is correct in their system but when people and work get a call from him, with the wrong caller id, no one is answering.  He uses this phone for work.  This is a big problem.

We have the same problem. I have multiple lines on my account and all of them except 1 line, displays my name with their phone numbers. People are not picking up when they don't see the correct name with the phone number. I've been told multiple times by 611, that it was escalated and fixed, and that it would take 24 hours for it to appear correct, but each time 24 hours passes and it's not different than before. Very frustrating for my family.

I worked in one city when I began my phone service, the name of that city shows up when I make an outgoing call (shows up on the recipient’s phone).  How do I change the name of the city that shows up as part of my outgoing caller ID?

I have a monthly account , not prepay.  I want to change my caller ID to my new location.  Not my Area Code.  My caller ID currently shows Laguna Beach California (old location), I moved to Frisco Texas.   How can I update this without changing area code (or carrier) ?  19 year customer...

Hello, @allenm28!

Welcome to T-Mobile and our Support Community! Any luck on your Caller ID updating?

No luck, please help me 

Whenever I place a call another company name shows up on their caller ID 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Whenever I place a call another company name shows up on their caller ID 

post paid account or pre paid?