Can't upgrade my phone online - why?

• 29 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and my husband has a Galaxy S7. We also have an old plan (Simple Choice). We are finally ready to upgrade our phones to the S21, but when I try to do it online, I can’t. Everything starts out fine. The initial screen says both phone are eligible to upgrade; when I get to the screen to pick which phone to upgrade, it still seems fine, but once I select the phone to upgrade the next screen says I’m not eligible to upgrade and need to call or come to the store to finish the order.

This is really frustrating because I am trying to avoid that ridiculous $20 service charge they have now. I should be able to upgrade my phone online, without getting charged a fee. And while I’m ranting, I should also be able to get a deal on a new phone without having to add a line. I don’t need a third line. We just need the two lines and should be able to get the buy one get one, without adding a third line.

Anyone have any insight before I break down and call. Hopefully I won’t go off on the customer service rep too badly.

Thanks for the help.

fireguy_6364 3 years ago

if i were to guess i would either go with theyre wanting to try and upgrade you away from the old plan you are on OR they bumped the security and are wanting to try and get some sort of identification in order to ensure that its in fact you guys…

again im only guessing...you might try contacting TMO via FB or Twitter..have you called in to see what they say?

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if i were to guess i would either go with theyre wanting to try and upgrade you away from the old plan you are on OR they bumped the security and are wanting to try and get some sort of identification in order to ensure that its in fact you guys…

again im only guessing...you might try contacting TMO via FB or Twitter..have you called in to see what they say?

Badge

I can’t get to any screen past the pick of which phone to upgrade. I pick the phone and the screen just goes white.  I called my local TM store. The Guy Rudy said he did not know why. He said maybe they are all sold out of the S21 5G?  They should at least tell you on the home page if they are sold out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@budro6968 That might be an issue with that particular webpage or something going on on the back end. I’d clear out your history and trying signing in again to make the purchase. You could also reach out to our Care team and they can help further with the order.

I had this issue when I went to upgrade wife's apple watch.  I did call the customer service number, in which they did help me get the new watch and got it to me next day at no extra charge.  However, the guy that I was talking to said he would fix this issue and here it is a year later, I am having the same issue when trying to upgrade to the S22 ultra.  I really don't want to call them again to try and get this fixed.  Still wondering why I can't do this.  I had no trouble with Verizon when I upgraded online.  

Cause if you did it yourself they could t charge you the 30$ assistance fee 

Badge

Having the same issue, and only now. A few hours ago I was able to as I was comparing new phones. Now, because it won't let me upgrade online, I can't even see the price as I customize the phone I want and see what I can afford. Nothing has changed in my account, life, financial situation, etc in the past couple hours, so I have no idea what's happening. 

First before I share my recent experience let me just suggest to everyone having issues using the tmobile app to just go sit in tmobiles parking lot or even hang out in the store and THEN use the app to do whatever you need to do. DONT bother talking to any employees though its a waste of time. Also if you need to check order status you will also need to sit in the parking lot or hang out in the store to do so because once you are off tmobile property the app goes back to not working properly.

I tried using the app and website both to upgrade my phone and then yesterday ended up going to the store to get it taken care of and I learned a few things during my 5 minute visit. I explained that their app and their website both gave a white screen when I tried to add the device I wanted to the cart and then explained that I was trying to avoid paying upgrade fees and also mentioned which phone I wanted. 2 different employees both confirmed the phone I wanted was back ordered until July. Then they 1 guy told me that it would also cost me about $250 but he could knock back some fees and get the price down to $150. By this point I was trying to access the app to show that I wouldnt have to pay anything aside from taxes if I was able to do it through the app and this is when I realized I was able to get past that one screen that always refused to load. I even mentioned that the app suddenly seemed to work probably because I was in the store and the guy continued to argue that even if I could now use the app the price would be the same because it has to do with my credit and that the price was personalized based on my account. I was furious at this point and told the guy to forget it and walked out. While in the parking lot I noticed I was still able to access the full app so I ordered my new phone through the app like I orginally wanted to and guess what? Only cost me about $50! I am absolutely furious that I was lied to by not 1 but 2 employees and that 1 of their employees tried to scam me to get more money out of me!