Cancellation dirty tricks

• 18 September 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge

T-Mobile does not allow you to cancel a line online. So I called up and the rep - who I believe was in the Philippines and a little hard to understand - tells me that canceling in the middle of my billing cycle will incur a charge and I needed to wait and cancel on the first day of my next cycle in order to avoid that charge. She also offers to suspend that line (which you can do online and it costs $10 a month). I decline that and hang up thinking I would call back on the first day of my next billing cycle. But after I hung up I felt that didn’t make any sense. So I called back and again got a rep who appeared to be in the Philippines and a little difficult to understand. She also did what the first rep had done - tried to talk me into converting the tablet line that I was canceling into a voice line. She told me that if I canceled I would be ineligible for specials. But she ultimately was willing to cancel and did not mention the charge that the other rep had said would be incurred if I canceled mid month.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile doesn't prorated final billing so if you cancel in the middle ox your plan you will  pay for the whole month.

Also you don't want to cancel the first day of a billing cycle because of above instead you want to cancel the last couple of days of the billing cycle.

Badge

Which just makes what the Phillipines reps were saying dirty tricks. T-Mobile is trying to not just get us to not cancel a line - forcing us to call where they can try and talk us out of it - they are trying to get a little extra money if they can't talk us out of canceling. Suspending a line adds a charge. Cancelling at the start of a month due to a lie about a charge for cancelling in the middle of a month adds another month bill. This is stealing. And EVEN WORSE - THE SECOND REP NEVER CANCELLED THE LINE!

Badge

Called back and the rep looked at my account and said that it showed that I was going to "think about canceling". The first call I said I would wait to cancel at the start of the month since the rep lied and said that would save me money. But then thought that didn't sound right and  I called back and the second rep said she would cancel - and didn't do it. Only after I persisted in saying to this third rep that I had called twice did the rep acknowledge that she saw a cancellation request. And she also tried to talk me out of cancelling and I had to make an issue of getting a refund for the charge I got because if the unfulfilled cancellation request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Canceling a line or account reminds me of the episode of Friends where Chandler was trying to cancel his gym membership and they wouldn’t let him. Finally Chandler took Ross to the gym to cancel and a female instructor talked Chandler is staying and got Ross to sign up for a membership.

These people are crooks. I spent an hour on the phone today trying to get someone to unlock my handy dandy Takeover Protection, which they sell to you as a free service when you buy a phone, saying it will keep people from hijacking your phone number. What it will really do is allow TMobile to hold your phone number hostage not allowing you to switch to a new carrier while they make you jump through all kinds of nonsense hoops in order to turn their wonderful “service” off, sitting on hold for 15 minutes at a time while I get juggled from one customer service agent to the next. I can’t wait to get away from this company. I have been with TMobile for 17 years straight, they should be rolling out the red carpet for me and instead I’m getting this nonsense runaround about removing a simple function from my phone. This is horrid customer service and I will not give these people my money any more. 

Same here. I got a rep I Tampa. I’m ok paying to the end of the period, no issues there but a prorated charge on top is a bad joke. I’ve been a customer for 18 years with seven voice lines and two tablets. I’ve noticed discounts disappear and frankly am getting tired of it. I called to cancel two lines I rarely use and got the run around.I was going to talk about upgrading service but I think I’ll go hunting around for options. John Legere was awesome, Mike Sievert, apparently not so much. Stuck on the phone for a ridiculous amount of time trying to get a simple thing done.

Things like this just make me want to leave them even more.  I have had a 50 first dates scenario while trying to get 5g replacement phones for my old 3g phones.  NO one was able to help, everyone acted like they had never heard of such a thing even though part of their website was dedicated to upgrading to a free 5g phone.  Looking at Verizon

I call T-Mobile to cancel a line they never told me about the prorated charge instead of getting credit that I haven’t use that line they over charge me $25 more of my bill, T-Mobile will never refund money never they rather give you credit T-Mobile  play dirty tricks to customers PERIOD!

I switched to a different carrier 5 days before the end of my billing cycle.  Since I was on autopay I was told that I would get a credit for the remaining days in the cycle.  2 days later I received a letter in the mail saying I have 30 days to return the wireless router or I would be charged $99.  It took me 3 days to get through to someone on the phone after being hung up on twice.  Apparently, the wireless router was ordered the same day I cancelled!!!  When I demanded to know who ordered it and the shipping address the representative said it looks like the order was cancelled the same day it was ordered.  When I asked about my credit they told me I owed 33 cents. After an hour of back and forth I still don’t know if we pay a month in advance or during the billing cycle. I was then told that the 33 cents bill was also a mistake and I will receive a credit for the remaining 5 days.  I was given a refund request number so we will see what happens.  After over 10 years of loyal service on auto pay and this is how I am treated.   

Badge

Switched to another provider on the 9th day of the billing cycle. Had no clue those tricks are possible today. But they are! No refunds. The rep apologized for her company. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Switched to another provider on the 9th day of the billing cycle. Had no clue those tricks are possible today. But they are! No refunds. The rep apologized for her company. 

you should probably avoid looking at the new carriers site then...

T-Mobile does not allow you to cancel a line online. So I called up and the rep - who I believe was in the Philippines and a little hard to understand - tells me that canceling in the middle of my billing cycle will incur a charge and I needed to wait and cancel on the first day of my next cycle in order to avoid that charge. She also offers to suspend that line (which you can do online and it costs $10 a month). I decline that and hang up thinking I would call back on the first day of my next billing cycle. But after I hung up I felt that didn’t make any sense. So I called back and again got a rep who appeared to be in the Philippines and a little difficult to understand. She also did what the first rep had done - tried to talk me into converting the tablet line that I was canceling into a voice line. She told me that if I canceled I would be ineligible for specials. But she ultimately was willing to cancel and did not mention the charge that the other rep had said would be incurred if I canceled mid month.

Lies I had been chatting with a representative on the app and told them what was going on and told me and the end of my billing cycle my phones that I don’t use will be cancelled and removed, but you have chat directly in the T-Mobile app itself!!!!!!!!  As they have to access your account on their end, where as you chat else where’s they won’t have access 

Still up to the same dirty tricks. The rep told me I'd have to pay a full month and 1 day more before canceling. It was on the last day of my billing cycle. I googled TMobiles terms and sure enough they totally tried to scam me. As long as your in your current billing cycle you can cancel. It's hard enough that I was barely able to understand what they were saying. I found my self apologizing for not being able to understand them with out tons of requests to repeat. Seems like it wasn't me that should of been apologizing. Back in the golden years this was a non issue.

But then to also try to scam people who try to leave by sucking them into an extra month they didn't need to pay for!  I'm super glad I left TMobile after all this and after the stress I went through, they guaranteed I will never come back. Been with them since 2008. Lost me for good after that s&#% show. 0 stars TMobile. Does not recommend.