Solved

Data restriction needs to be added to "Family Allowances" package

Data restriction needs to be added to "Family Allowances" package! Although data slows to 2G when used up, that is not enough in today's society where kids use 90% data & 10% talk/text. We would love to be able to "cyber-ground" our teenager by limiting data during certain times of the day or taking away/shutting off her data when necessary. But we still want her to to be able to call & text on her phone to reach us if necessary. I talked to a person in T-Mobile's tech division today who also had a teenager and is facing the same problem where her teenager used 30GB in a month!! She said she was surprised T-Mobile hasn't done this yet. But there is no way to shut off or limit data on a phone line - other than physically taking away the phone. Granted it doesn't cost parents anything if teens use up data or go over, but what kind of lesson is that teaching kids? We need better parental controls accessible to us as parents. Data is the problem with kids now a days & we need assistance being able to control it as parents.  AT&T, Sprint & Verizon all include parental controls (including Data control) for FREE! Granted to me it was worth $5 for the Family Allowance but it's only for call, text,& purchases. So it does us no good since our teenager barley talks or texts on her phone. It's all data usage with her. All we can do it put the 'id, teenager, young adult restrictions on our lines for "Surfing".

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 6 June 2017, 16:59

This is feedback we see pretty often and are always happy to pass along. I'll be sure to pass along the post and comments in here, as well as any additional ones. 😊 From the responses we have received, there is some limitation as to the way our network reads data but they are looking at options. That said, the more of a need for it they see, hopefully that can expedite whatever research is being done so we appreciate the comments. 😊

Thanks for taking the time to share and we will get it passed on as we couldn't agree more!

-Lauren

View original

115 replies

Userlevel 3

If I'm being honest, I already can't stand being throttled. The speeds are so low it's almost unusable, which for me would be punishment enough.

I totally see the appeal of this and I agree that it should be an option!

HTGHTG

Hi @htghtg​ Just a heads up.

I posted a reply to @shannonspetsitting  @ 5:32 suggesting that the post be made as a thread of its own in Plans& Services.

@tmo_laurenalready liked the reply, but it is being delayed for moderation. I just didn't want you to think I walked on your reply.

Art

Userlevel 3

Oh, lord. I appreciate the heads up!

Userlevel 5

This is feedback we see pretty often and are always happy to pass along. I'll be sure to pass along the post and comments in here, as well as any additional ones. 😊 From the responses we have received, there is some limitation as to the way our network reads data but they are looking at options. That said, the more of a need for it they see, hopefully that can expedite whatever research is being done so we appreciate the comments. 😊

Thanks for taking the time to share and we will get it passed on as we couldn't agree more!

-Lauren

I'm another victim (I've read many) of customer care promising features that don't exist.  I had one kid with a 2GB limit - which I loved.  I added another kid this month and found the only plan option to be unlimited everything.  I don't want to give unlimited data access for an immature, first-time phone user.  I was told something like, don't worry, you can put limits on their data usage and everything else, like calls & texts on our website.  I thought that sounded great, so not only put the new line on unlimited, but the first kid's line as well.  Not only does the "Family Allowances" feature come with a cost (not mentioned by customer care), but it doesn't do the one thing I wanted it for....allow me to limit data usage.  Apparently, I can't switch back to the 2GB limit plan, and there are no features for me to control.  Looks like I'll be shopping for a new carrier.

Wait a sec, it did have a way to limited data usage(unless T-mobile finally updated it). I took it off due that I needed a bit more control. Now there are 3rd party apps that may fit your needs. If you're more into parental controls  then may I suggest family link from Google.

I am really surprised that Family Allowances requires you to pay 5$ a month and you cannot disable data to a particular line.

A quick check online shows me AT&T does (GSM like Tmobile)

Sprint does

Verizon does

If this is feedback that is seen pretty often, what is holding Tmobile up from adding the feature. TMobile is spending 8 Billion dollars to upgrade their network (which seems awesome) https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/13/15291496/tmobile-fcc-incentive-auction-results-8-billion-airwaves-lte

but they cannot add what seems to be a basic feature to a service that claims to allow you set family allowances.

And with no real feedback or updates they are really dropping the ball when it comes to families abilities to give phones to their kids and try to manage what they do.

Google Family Link is limited to invite only at the time. I just tried.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

A smartphone with no data is best replaced with a flip phone. And with ONE being the only available plan now there's no use limiting data since its unlimited. Older plans could use that feature perhaps but with those plans being legacy plans the feature probably wouldn't be offered. Smartphones require data and even VZW required a data plan on fliphones even though they didn't use data in a traditional way. Even finding a flip phone is a challenge nowadays. Limiting data is one thing. Disabling totally, is another.

@c0011j​ You can request for one, that is how I did it. Got the it within 12 hours.

here is the link:

https://families.google.com/familylink-earlyaccess/start

I am aware of the differences in 'limiting data' and 'disabling data.' You obviously do not have any young children with a phone, if so you may have understood what my point was. But I will make it a little bit clearer for you.

My 11 year is on the phone constantly. There are time when I would like to disable the data COMPLETELY. Again, sometimes I would like to allow her the full use of her smarthpone and the ability to use apps such as Netflix... youtube etc.... Sometime I would like to disable her abiltiy to do so. Without taking her phone completely OR purchasing a flip phones for the times when she is grounded.

And like I mentioned, all the other major carriers offer the ability to disable data to a specific line when wanted. I like Tmobile after using the other carriers I chose TMobile. But I also have two young girls who I need to limit their access at times.

Also.. smarthpone do not require data. If that was the case how comeyou can go into a phone and disable it? And still message and make calls. A smartphone is severely limited in it's functions that make it 'smart' by doing that. But there is nothing that says data is actually required to be used.

@c0011j​ the only other way is to go to the setting of the device and turn off data. I can't  think of another way, and the child can just go back and removed it. I have not crossed an app that is prefect. Most of them can be disable/uninstalled with little effort or don't really do what you want.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You can still make calls and send texts because those do not require data unless you are on volte for voice. Those functions use a voice stream not data. That is why you can turn data off yet still make phone calls and send text messages. Hopefully that helps makes things a little clearer for you.

And even still with wifi calling capabilities you can send a text message and you can make a phone call while on Wi-Fi.

Well..... I just looked at Volte briefly. That makes technical sense to what you are saying.

I know Tmobile can develop some method to do this, they just choose not to at this moment.

Thanks.

Upvote all the way! Data is everything with kids these days -- they're not making phone calls and they hardly use text anymore when they can just use Snapchat. Please find a way to make this work, T-Mobile! We need to be able to limit data access during school and bedtime hours. Please make this a priority! Thanks!

Not only does the "Family Allowances" feature come with a cost (not mentioned by customer care), but it doesn't do the one thing I wanted it for....allow me to limit data usage.  Apparently, I can't switch back to the 2GB limit plan, for a particular reason.  This is something we as the consumer should be able to choose if we want to limit it or not.  We are paying for the option to choose , so let us choose.  I have been with Tmobile for 18 years for a reason, don't let me start second guessing them now.

Totally agree. Would love the ability to control access for my 12 yr old.

For the most part it would be as someone else suggested : limit data at certain times (homework to be done!) but allow phone calls for emergency etc.

Also, @tmobile-admin​, we (the users) need to be able to set our own schedules for blocking services. Guess why? Because if you're a parent, then you're not looking to block your child's access Monday - Friday nights. You're looking to block services Sunday - Thursday, because those are SCHOOL NIGHTS!

Please @tmobile-admin help us by requesting that your network engineers add firewall filters to block data traffic on phone numbers specified in the Family Allowances plans, on a schedule that's determined by those customers (parents) granted the necessary permissions? I've worked in network engineering for many years, and seriously, it's not that hard.

Definitely a need for this on Family Allowance.  Please add data restrictions soon. Thank you

I would pay money to restrict data while at school or in church.   Or any time.    I would also like to very easily toggle data on and off.   Kids do not talk on the phone they use data.

We switched from Verizon and this was a great feature.  I asked this question before I switched T-mobile and was told it was possible.  We will not be staying with T-mobile very long if this feature is not added to Family Allowances.  I will be canceling Family Allowances for now since there is no way to block data!

I would like to chime in with all the others who are commenting about how we cannot limit or disable DATA in Parental Control. This needs to be done. Your competitors can.

Not having robust controls as a parent will be the number one reason to move the whole family to another carrier.

iFon

I agree completely with this post.  What's the point of T-Mobile gimmick giving Family Allowances for FREE if data restrictions don't come with it?  Family Allowances is quite an old plan (introduced 9 years ago).  In the modern world of unlimited data, without data restrictions a parental controls service is worth nothing.  Not many people would want to pay $4.99/mo for such, that's probably why the plan was given away.  Unfortunately, without data restrictions the plan feels cheap and toothless - T-Mobile needs to fix it, soon.

Agreed. I want to toggle it off and on like I did with ATT. I paid 10 per month to do this and I was happy to pay. I would also like to set the hours instead of having just a few choices. Why will you not let me turn off data when my kids are at school or church.

iFon