Solved

Data speed throttled on iPad

• 16 November 2019
  • 9 replies

I am on T-Mobile ONE plan with 3 lines.

2 of those lines are in phones and get about 150 mbps in my location.

3rd line was just put into an iPad Pro with Cellular but is only getting 0.5 mbps in the same location.

That same sim card is getting 150 mbps when installed into one of the phones.

Just to clarify, the iPad is NOT on a hotspot, it has a physical sim card installed directly into it.

Is this throttling normal? Do I need to switch the iPad's line to some special "tablet" plan and if yes, how would I do it?

icon

Best answer by Trialnterror 1 July 2023, 20:13

View original

9 replies

Similar problem. ipad LTE speed is less than 0.5Mbps. Same SIM in the iphone: 80Mbps.

Same here with iPad Pro 12.9 LTE at 0.5Mbps.  But, it’s working fine with my iPad mini LTE.

Same. Since multiple people have tried this with the same result, and there has been no answer provided, I’m guessing this is something that T-Mobile doesn’t want us doing.

still no answer to this? same thing happening to me in dec 2022

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Personally I would try a new sim card that's provisioned to mobile data not cellular data because in theory you can't swap out a phone sim to a iPad sim since the data is read differently.

I have a 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9” recently I’ve noticed my speed is the same VERY SLOW .5 mbps I’m being throttled! 

1- will the issue fix if I have them put me on the electronic sim?

2- has anyone figured this out? 
3- I’m ready to change iPads!

4- my wife has the new iPad Air and she gets very fast speeds in the same area

SOLVED

I have a 3rd gen iPad Pro , I signed up for the tablet plan online thru T-Mobile. I was sent a SIM card. As soon as I put it in I had .5 mbps. I was absolutely being throttled! I called in to a tech to ask if I could at least switch to a Esim and see if that’d fix my issue. As the tech was trying that ( I never got the esim to work by the way)he noticed that my SIM card was activated as a VOICE PLAN NOT A TABLET PLAN!  As soon as the tech switched me to a tablet plan I got 68 mbps!!!!!! He said since I was on a voice it was thinking I was tethered to a data device and was being throttled! So there you are a fix!

Personally I would try a new sim card that's provisioned to mobile data not cellular data because in theory you can't swap out a phone sim to a iPad sim since the data is read differently.

still no answer to this? same thing happening to me in dec 2022

Have T-Mobile switch you to a tablet plan on your sim not Voice!

This has been happening to me on my iPad Air 4th Generation.  I just got off a very frustrating chat with Charmaine at T-mobile who said I'm throttled after 5gb and offered to sell me a 10 or 20gb plan.  My understanding is the limit is 50 gb.  I also think throttling to 0.12 mbits (which is what I'm seeing) isn't "throttling" it's effectively disconnection.  Nothing modern is usable at that speed.  I could understand 2 mbits or 3 so you can't stream video... I'm waiting for my usage cycle to reset next week and see if things get better.

BTW this chat was AFTER stopping at a T-Mobile store and getting a new sim put in to no effect.  The guy at the store said nothing about throttling.... He basically threw up his hands after that didn't work.