Solved

Data usage and Music Freedom apps

• 18 October 2017
  • 25 replies

I am concerned about the data usage report that I see on my iPhone (refer screenshots) and on the T-Mobile web report.

The two apps in the screenshot are high in the list which are already part of music freedom list.

Why my data usage is already close to 2 GB limit?

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 19 October 2017, 21:09

There's not, unfortunately. 😥

We whitelist the apps that don't count data towards your total, but we don't track specifics for the other data you use on a granular level. It just totals up as "data" for us more or less.

You should be able to figure it out by process of elimination based on the devices tracked usage, although some phones (not all) will include data on WiFi under the apps total which wouldn't be a contributor to what's used and doesn't make that method fail safe.

Hope that helps!

-Lauren

View original

25 replies

App names: Saavn, Spotify

Userlevel 5

Looks like you are using the data usage calculator that is on the phone itself, which won't recognize Carrier Freedom and just shows the totals for your device! You can check your usage through us which will reflect the deduction a number of ways! 😊 DOC-1286

-Lauren

Thanks Lauren for the reply. The data usage on the T-mobile portal does not show which app is consuming high for the current billing period. It all shows as "Internet Access" under the Service column filter.

Is there any way I can figure out which app is consuming high cellular data?

Userlevel 5

There's not, unfortunately. 😥

We whitelist the apps that don't count data towards your total, but we don't track specifics for the other data you use on a granular level. It just totals up as "data" for us more or less.

You should be able to figure it out by process of elimination based on the devices tracked usage, although some phones (not all) will include data on WiFi under the apps total which wouldn't be a contributor to what's used and doesn't make that method fail safe.

Hope that helps!

-Lauren

Both the apps (Saavn and Spotify) that I mentioned in the screenshot consume high usage under cellular data (btw, I use iPhone).

I suspect these are not whitelisted properly and ended up counting under regular data limit?

Userlevel 5

Hmm, Saavn and Spotify should absolutely be whitelisted if you are on a qualifying plan, so we'll start there. Have you already confirmed you are on a plan that is eligible for Music Freedom?

If you have, is the total data usage recorded by your iPhone a match to what is being shown when checking your data through T-Mobile, or is the total by T-Mobile showing as less, and if so, is it roughly what your phone is showing you used for those apps?

Thanks!

-Lauren

Userlevel 5

Whitelisted or not through us, the screen caps you show will still show them as high usage because your device doesn't recognize the whitelist!

-Lauren

yes, already confirmed that I get Music freedom. I am on Simple choice plan.

I still need to total the data usage that is showing up on my phone and compare with what is showing on T-mobile portal. I will let you know.

Userlevel 5

Sounds like a plan. 😊

-Lauren

Userlevel 5

Hey there! Have you had a chance to compare your data usage yet?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi!

Have you had the chance to check your usage? If so, please give us a holler back and let us know the results. Thanks!

Hello Lauren,

I have a new  $50 Simply Prepaid (10GB 4G LTE) plan. I was under the impression that this plan also includes "Music Freedom" as the web page states " NOW AVAILABLE FOR SIMPLY PREPAID PLANS $45 AND UP, STREAMING MUSIC ON INCLUDED SERVICES DOESN'T COUNT AGAINST YOUR DATA".  Does this apply to this new $50 Prepaid plan that just came out?

The reason I ask is that I did a test with 1hr of Slacker radio listening using their app and both the phone and the online account state that 114MB was used in that hour. There was no other app active that I know of during that one hour session.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2

If you login to T-Mobile web site you can review both whitelisted data, total on-network data and detailed data usage this can kind of help gauge which app(s) is using a lot of data, streaming music generally doesn't consume enormous amounts of data.  

Are you referring to the  https://manage.my.t-mobile.com/Plan/Prepaid/Default.aspx page? Only only see one number at 819MB and the phone is showing 842MB. It is understood that non-audio data like ads and pictures that float into the screen in during a listening session count as data, but I would assume that this would be a very small amount. I'm still looking to verify if this newly added plan by Tmobile $50/10GB Prepaid does in fact include the "Music Freedom" like the other plans.

We figured it out ourselves.... Just called customer service and they said, just as I suspected, this $50/10GB plan does not include music unlimited. They also stated that none of the prepaid plans come with the free music anymore.

I did inform them that the current Tmobile web page is then, not correct,as it still states ""NOW AVAILABLE FOR SIMPLY PREPAID PLANS $45 AND UP, STREAMING MUSIC ON INCLUDED SERVICES DOESN'T COUNT AGAINST YOUR DATA"". This is the location of that table >>>>   Prepaid Phone Plans | Find The Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plan | T-Mobile

Kind of upset with this deal, but.... it is what it is.....

Thanks...

Userlevel 2

If it's still being advertised as part of the plan my advice is continue to call back until someone fixes the issue. I've had similar things happen where it required me to call in several times and for my troubles, I was compensated generously for my time. So in the end, I was one happy customer. 

I'm having the same problem with the KCRW app on a new iPhone 8. I didn't have the issue until I got this new phone. On the previous iPhone 6 Plus, I'd stream KCRW for hours and hours and never come close to my data limit.

I have a Simple Choice plan that I know for sure includes Music Freedom, and I'm using a white-listed app (KCRW) and yesterday, ~400MB of data was used by the KCRW app according to my phone, and T-Mobile deducted ~400MB of data from my monthly data bucket. Is this a bait-and-switch? I'm not up on my scam terminology.

Userlevel 5

Definitely not a scam or a bait and switch. We don't do that sort of thing at T-Mobile. The phone is always going to record all data usage but if your usage on my.t-mobile.com is depleting, there is a problem that we will need to address. Please contact us when you have a moment so we can take a closer look at this. 

Having the same issue with Slacker radio.  I have track preloading, mobile network refresh, news and sports updates all turned off.  I even tried with audio quality set down to 64kbps which is the lowest.  Volume normalization and play explicit content is on, but I don't think that would cause any extra data usage. 

Doesn't seem to happen with Spotify.

I had to cancel Slacker Radio since it doesn't work with Music Freedom.

Userlevel 5

Hey @neez  😊 Where specifically are you seeing that Slacker radio is using your data? Slacker is a Music Freedom streaming service and should not be counting against your high speed data allotments.

I play it for a little, then log into my tmobile account and look at the data usage.  It drops like a rock, thumbnails for albums and such can't account for that much usage.

Userlevel 5

You're right, it should not. If it is using that much data, we are going to want to take a closer look at what is going on here. Please contact us when you have a moment so our tech teams can open up a support ticket for you.