Question

Death Disconnect Policy

Userlevel 1
Badge

How is it that you do bundle pricing and encourage people to be on the same account but you don’t honor death disconnect for a line on the account but only if the account is in that users name? It lacks compassion and proves that you don’t believe in the customer first mentality. As we all know, losing a family member isn’t easy and when you are finally able to muster up the strength to deal with some affairs it would be nice if a company that claims to set the standards for customer care in wireless wasn’t far behind the times on this. You should be able to cancel a line of a deceased love one off of your account and get the same care and respect that you would at Verizon or AT&T. This is not the case and it is why I am considering moving my entire account. T-Mobile isn’t only behind the pace for Voice networks but they are well off the curve of compassion and simply understanding people.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I know when my dad passed away we had to do the same with Verizon as Tmobile.

I'm having an extremely tough time transferring me to the account holder after the sudden passing of my father. One day my phone is here next day the account is deleted. I'm trying to transfer it into my name and can't even log in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm having an extremely tough time transferring me to the account holder after the sudden passing of my father. One day my phone is here next day the account is deleted. I'm trying to transfer it into my name and can't even log in. 

Do you have the information in the link below?

Cancel an account of a deceased family member | T-Mobile Support

Looks like a different family member cancelled my line accidentally supposedly. I went into the store physically and just found out. Thank you though

@Tmobile and Macarb02 (even though it was a posted question 7 months ago, my condolences to all who replied to this post)

The Tmobile website: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/cancel-an-account-of-a-deceased-family-member

HOWEVER, after speaking with a representative this is NOT the case. It seems that it would be easy to cancel a deceased loved one’s account based on what it says on the website. After speaking with a representative: Apparently they need 3 business day for Zeus only knows what. To keep racking up money on the plan? The person is gone, he/she isn’t going to be using their phone.

After 3 days….Someone from Tmobile is supposed to call you on your or a number that you have to provide. Why???? What if you miss the call? 

Credit card companies cancel an account at the time you call. Why then in this day of technological advancement, does it take 3 days for you to wait for a call? What kind of policy is this? Why doesn’t Tmobile mention anything about waiting for 3 days for a call? It’s already hard enough to make a call and say so and so is gone. 

This is where the customer, especially a deceased one (because Tmobile, you probably don’t care) DOES NOT come first. 

Epic fail. 

My Mother in Law passed away in Aug.  I called in Oct I beleive once we got things settled to cancel her line, they said I had to pay out the contract.  Needless to say I am still paying on that phone and I have been with Sprint/T mobile for at least 10+ years.  Very disappointed.

Sandy

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The EIP is like a loan and won't get canceled but the line can be canceled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/cancel-an-account-of-a-deceased-family-member

didnt see this posted in here anywhere..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The link was posted a few posts ago.

Badge

When someone dies, obviously a contract is no longer binding. 

I am not on a multi-person line and have no knowledge of them. However if everyone has to sign a document, then I figure language is included that everyone is liable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

When someone dies, obviously a contract is no longer binding. 

I am not on a multi-person line and have no knowledge of them. However if everyone has to sign a document, then I figure language is included that everyone is liable.

The estate of the deceased is still obligated to pay any outstanding bills whether credit cards or personal loans.

When my Dad passed a few years ago we still had to pay any bill he accrued.

How is it that you do bundle pricing and encourage people to be on the same account but you don’t honor death disconnect for a line on the account but only if the account is in that users name? It lacks compassion and proves that you don’t believe in the customer first mentality. As we all know, losing a family member isn’t easy and when you are finally able to muster up the strength to deal with some affairs it would be nice if a company that claims to set the standards for customer care in wireless wasn’t far behind the times on this. You should be able to cancel a line of a deceased love one off of your account and get the same care and respect that you would at Verizon or AT&T. This is not the case and it is why I am considering moving my entire account. T-Mobile isn’t only behind the pace for Voice networks but they are well off the curve of compassion and simply understanding people.

I agree and will be moving both of our TMobile accounts especially because the Customer Service people were so rude.  They talked over me, and wouldn’t let me talk, and when I paused for them to speak they wouldn’t say anything.  Terrible insensitive customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you should probably avoid doing a site search on any of those carriers sites then...and especially dont search for “family death”..

Still not acceptable for any person to be treated this way and TMobile should be ashamed to have multiple people that can’t handle these situations.  I’ve have more than 5 rude customer service people….