Developer, respond. LG V30 H932 Android Pie/Updates, sigifnicant delay?

• 28 September 2019
  • 31 replies

I am trying to reach a developer from tmobile's software team. The ones responsible for deciding on breaking enterprise regulation i.e enterprise devices such as the LG V30 are to be updated at least once every 3 months. Updates via carrier cycle distribute such that LG --> Carrier --> Customer/Users via OTA. However, our updates have been stuck on "carrier" for 6 months as confirmed by LG representative via LG support. Other threads from tmobile support have stated Pie has been received however no time frame. We have been very patient. But now, its become ridiculous.

I would like to kindly ask a developer, not tech support, not LG support, not customer support, but a TMOBILE DEVELOPER (NOT LG) to respond since they are the individuals directly relevant to software updates. I spoke to everyone but the developer already via phone call however they do not have any information. If i cannot reach a developer, while the developer decides to block/hold our updates, how in the world can us customers receive ANY information?? I would like an articulate no BS answer, you guys are seriously late. Most of H932 users are beyond frustrated. We are using a $800 2017 flagship. This is absolutely unacceptable

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You won't find one of those on this board.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Your issue is ultimately with LG.  Carriers have very little to contribute to updates and have no control over when those updates are released.  LG in general though is very slow for releasing updates for all devices, regardless of the carrier.  The only common factor is, because T-Mobile is a smaller carrier than AT&T and Verizon, that those carriers are priorities for manufacturers because they purchase more devices in bulk.  A good business model is to take care of your biggest customers first. 

"have no control over when those updates

are released"

That is false. I spoke to a LG rep already.

And here is an article that basically describes exactly what was said:

Why Do Carriers Delay Updates for Android But Not iPhone?

"Your carrier exercises control over your device even after you buy it, preventing it from working on other cellular networks (by locking it to their network). They are the ones in control of the phone and the software it comes with, and they are the ones in charge of approving and rolling out updates. You generally can’t get these updates from the manufacturer directly — only from the carrier."

Yes its a good business model since tmobile dont have to spend development budget on people that don't use samsung. However extremely anti consumer on everyone else.

You dont seem to know much about this topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I would take what the LG rep says as half full/half empty because all the rep wants to do

is push the blame off of them.

Seen this with the Moto Z Force pie update. Moto reps said it was Tmobile's fault but then it comes

out as Moto's decision to not update to Pie unless you were on Verizon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That is really old information that is no longer accurate.  OEM's blaming the carrier and vice versa is a long old bit of banter where neither want to take any responsibility for the software.  Approval is one thing but T-Mobile can't approve something and offer up their bloat if LG hasn't finished it.  The updates come from the manufacturer so you can still get updates for your device, even if you aren't with that carrier any longer.  T-Mobile has no control over LG's software updater software. 

"Approval is one thing but T-Mobile can't approve something and offer up their bloat if LG hasn't finished it"

September patch Android pie has rolled out to Canada and overseas. So obviously, its complete. And Verizon and the smaller US cellular have rolled out August patch Pie.

"The updates come from the manufacturer so you can still get updates for your device, even if you aren't with that carrier any longer."

Lol no you cant flash any image onto any variant. There is US998, H932, H931, H933 etc all of them have different KDZ. Although you may not get OTA updates without Tmo sim card, once tmobile publically pushes update, the KDZ will become available to flash via LG UP anyway.

"T-Mobile has no control over LG's software updater software."

Above should explain what is reality

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Actually, you can flash a US998, H931, Sprint version, and H933 and the unlocked version to any of those.  The hardware is the same, the only thing with the T-Mobile firmware is, the RSA key is different.  There is an incredibly tricky way to do it, but I never thought it was worth the effort.  My girlfriend uses my T-Mobile version for a camera and MP3 player.  It has no SIM in it and it still gets updates.  Why?  Because those updates come from LG through the LG Update software and not the carrier.  Feel free to check the XDA Developers forum for instructions on how to convert one to another as there are plenty of threads and instructions. 

You cant covert H932 like you can for others. I wish you could. And again, the updates have been pushed to other NA carrier. All odds are against tmobile now that even US cellular has gotten it. AND REMEMBER MARCH 2019 was the last patch we got. 6 whole months. They skipped April, and July patches (pushed on the other variants)

I think we can officially stop the LG/TMO blame game because the H932 20a source code was released on 8/27, just over a month ago.

At this point, it actually IS T-Mobile who would need to provide information regarding the release of Pie on this phone.

OpenSource Code Distribution  - H932/H933

Lol nice to see you from XDA. I have never thought twice about tmo updates being slow and $hitty. Pretty patient. But this time they are absolutely infuriating.

😀 lol yeah.  This update is really what is going to make me decide whether or not to keep this phone. I keep checking in, and I see more and more people asking what the hold up is.  I work in development, and there is always a goal/deadline date for releases like this.  T-Mobile really needs to stop ignoring customers with this device and give us an ETR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

ishsmobile wrote:

"have no control over when those updates

are released"

That is false. I spoke to a LG rep already.

And here is an article that basically describes exactly what was said:

Why Do Carriers Delay Updates for Android But Not iPhone?

"Your carrier exercises control over your device even after you buy it, preventing it from working on other cellular networks (by locking it to their network). They are the ones in control of the phone and the software it comes with, and they are the ones in charge of approving and rolling out updates. You generally can’t get these updates from the manufacturer directly — only from the carrier."

Yes its a good business model since tmobile dont have to spend development budget on people that don't use samsung. However extremely anti consumer on everyone else.

You dont seem to know much about this topic.

regurgitated false information.  Google found out it was not the delay a long time ago when they did an open source project with Sony.  It has ALWAYS been 1. OEMs then 2. Regulatory bodies.  They found out carriers only do testing and that's it.  They don't even touch the code.  Even OEMs brought out timelines showing how little carriers are involved when it comes to the update.  Google made the PDK to shorten the time regulatory bodies got involved.  They are also currently in the process to make Android even more and more modular so shorten the time OEM's take to write code.  Carriers one they get the update for testing they generally take no longer than 2 weeks to 1 month to test before they sign off on it.  If they find something broken through their testing it goes back to the OEM.  They know you'll blame thing when things go wrong instead of the manufacturer much like how you blame them for not getting an update.

The main reason devices are locked is because well $$$.  Carriers subsidize these phones(they pay up front, and in turn sign contracts, or loan/lease).  They also have to pay OEM's to add features or even pay for OEM specific features and either eat the cost for it or add it to the cost of the device.

To date no OEM has made an update for a specific device and a carrier has not delivered it.  Motorola has not made an update for the Z2 Force and people blame the carriers but Motorola making the update for the Z2 Force Verizon so they can sell the 5G mod to Verizon customers.  They are not even bothering with the other carrier models because the 5G mod wasn't made for other carriers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

weaknpcdotcom wrote:

I think we can officially stop the LG/TMO blame game because the H932 20a source code was released on 8/27, just over a month ago.

At this point, it actually IS T-Mobile who would need to provide information regarding the release of Pie on this phone.

OpenSource Code Distribution - H932/H933

Kernel Source is not indicative of LG finishing the update.   Being a developer you should know this.

RIGHT? Thank you for not sounding like some tmobile lawyer lol, fact of the matter is tmobile is playing dirty. Unless we display frustration, how the fuq do we get any feed back

"date no OEM has made an update for a specific device and a carrier has not delivered it.  "

Lmaooooo

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

ishsmobile wrote:

"date no OEM has made an update for a specific device and a carrier has not delivered it. "

Lmaooooo

Show me one if you are laughing about it.  I have yet to see one to date.  Where has the OEM representative went out and said a carrier stopped them from updating a device?  A CSR is not high enough to know.  I used to work for Sony, and also Samsung.  I know exactly what was in front of them...  I wrote the code...  They will not know anything that is being in a different country let alone a different building.

The kernel source was created by LG's engineer in June, and released in August. Regardless, T-Mobile is responsible for supporting and informing their customers.  LG does not list the official update on their end until T-Mobile does.

Maybe i am miss understanding. Do you mean major updates i.e android 8, 9 etc? Or security? Because tmobile has missed a ton of security lol. Not only on V30 but many other phones. Im sure pie will be out soon, but again, we havent seen anything since March 2019.

Yes, we are the consumers. In the end, we are left in the dark. Tmobile need to provide a status since they are dead last on updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I just want to add...  Europe goes through carrier testing too just like here.  They also get updates faster than we do for various reasons. 

1. Exynos vs Qualcomm

Ones in house and the other is 3rd party.  Qualcomm needs to update their stuff then give to manufacturers.  This is where the PDK comes in as an example.  If Google doesn't give it out then that could delay easy 6 months as shown through the Open Source Project.  Then you have wifi and bluetooth consortiums.  If you can give out the PDK within 2 months of developing the next major update that gives at least 6 months free time while Google is writing the code instead of after release said code.

2.  By going modular you only have to replace parts instead of rewriting when you talk about OEM "skins" go.  Samsung and LG being the worst "offenders" in terms of skins.  You can release parts of the AOS code going modular to OEMs where they can continue on.  If the site page is true where Note 10+ Android Q update is testing for T-Mobile it means Samsung followed what Google wanted by going modular.  A quicker update process.  Previous versions won't have the same luxury as Google isn't enforcing it on older devices(like encryption out of the box).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

ishsmobile wrote:

Maybe i am miss understanding. Do you mean major updates i.e android 8, 9 etc? Or security? Because tmobile has missed a ton of security lol. Not only on V30 but many other phones. Im sure pie will be out soon, but again, we havent seen anything since March 2019.

Samsung said carrier specific(aka Qualcomm versions) ones due to testing nature of devices may go on a 3 month cycle.  Also keep in mind Samsung updates the QC versions a lot later than their Exynos versions as if they only started working on it after the fact.  Been known for a while now.  Let me see if I can find the press release which most people glossed over and forgotten. HTC said it will almost be impossible to release an security update on a monthly cycle, and even then it will not at times the same security patches due to code being different and they have to do in house testing.  One of the reasons Google going modular and making OEM's not touching that code.  Remember Google said at some point Google is going to handle all the backend, security updating without relying on OEM's?  The only way they can do that is by going Modular which Google has been working on.

LG sucks at support.  The last product I bought from LG is G4.  Had the same problem as the G2 did and left me under the bus with a handset that stopped working within 4 months.  Mind you this is when I lived in Korea.  Personally not a real big fan of Samsung and LG phones.  I like the Note series because I like taking notes, and they is 0 competition outside of that series.    If some other OEM made an actual competitor and leaned out the skinning I would be all over it. 

"Remember Google said at some point Google is going to handle all the backend, security updating without relying on OEM's? "

I do recall that vaguely but brushed it off because i didnt think it would happen anytime soon. I respect all the development work samsung, LG and other manufacturer do. V30's kernel seems to be really good. The software is reliable, fast, and efficient. So yeah they are slow but their software feels polished. I am not going make comparisons but i definitely like LG software a lot.

However, the hell is tmobile development team doing? Yeah they test and put their own software in but why in the world are they taking forever? I remember having my hopes up when tmobile pushed march 2019 patch....IN MARCH but now, V30 is a lost cause to them lol?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

ishsmobile wrote:

"Remember Google said at some point Google is going to handle all the backend, security updating without relying on OEM's? "

I do recall that vaguely but brushed it off because i didnt think it would happen anytime soon. I respect all the development work samsung, LG and other manufacturer do. V30's kernel seems to be really good. The software is reliable, fast, and efficient. So yeah they are slow but their software feels polished. I am not going make comparisons but i definitely like LG software a lot.

However, the hell is tmobile development team doing? Yeah they test and put their own software in but why in the world are they taking forever? I remember having my hopes up when tmobile pushed march 2019 patch....IN MARCH but now, V30 is a lost cause to them lol?

Carriers don't touch code like you think they do.  As I said earlier they only test the code, and their development team on deals with apps and not the whole OS.  They give these apps to OEMs early into the process so they can be incorporated by the OEM.  Honestly if carriers touched code like people think they do there would be a HUGE source code leak by now.  There is no way OEMs would be able to stop it from being leaked as we are talking about 10K+ developers around the world touch source code.  Yet we have never seen any source code from any OEM in Androids 12 year history dealing with OEMs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Awesome Infographic: HTC Shows Us “The Anatomy of an Android OS Update” From PDK to OTA | Droid Life

If you see this graph.  Parts manufacturers have more control than people consider.  For example :

Why isn’t your old phone getting Nougat? There’s blame enough to go around | Ars Technica

No update for devices if parts manufacturers drop support to update drivers for example

If you look at Step 7.  This is where carriers often PAY OEMs to incorporate their code.  As you see in step 8 it says they(HTC) incorporate carrier code.

I can't find the Sony one from when I worked there it's nearly identical, but we broke it down on the governing bodies like Wifi, and such in our process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

weaknpcdotcom wrote:

The kernel source was created by LG's engineer in June, and released in August. Regardless, T-Mobile is responsible for supporting and informing their customers. LG does not list the official update on their end until T-Mobile does.

I don't believe you are a developer with that comment.  If carriers don't touch code how are they going to know anything about the update?  If LG gives them a basic generic response like "soon" then what can they tell you?  OEM's don't need carriers, but carriers need OEMs.  Imagine if Apple or Samsung said officially and not from some low level rep that T-Mobile was not allowing them to update their devices and suggested going to another carrier if they want full support.  What will you think happen?  We already know what happens when the carrier says devices not getting updates because of the OEM.  People blamed carriers regardless and expected the carrier to bail them out.