Question

Device Trade in Finance vs. Payoff

• 21 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I’m on the new Magenta Max plan. If I trade in my son’s device it gives me a credit of $400 when it’s financed, however, if I want to pay in full and trade it in, it only offers me $100, why?

Also, If I want to pay off my device, is there any accrued interest or if there is will that be omitted when paying the device off? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Finances are a term that sort of guarantee your service.  Pay it off over 24 months, then T-Mobile gets that 2 years of service out of you.  If you terminate or pay it off early, then those credits for the higher trade-in value stop towards the device you are purchasing.

Badge

Okay, so I called T-Mobile this evening and got the lowdown on payments and early payoff.

If you buy one of the new phones and want to pay it off early, you can, however you need to wait at least two billing cycles for the first credit to show up. Once that hits your account you can pay off your phone and the monthly credits will continue. The T-Mobile rep actually sent me an email following our discussion with her name and badge number and assured me that this is the way the plan works. 

Now, with that being said, she did state that my phone will still remain locked for t24 months and can be unlocked after that. I’m fine with that as the other two options are Verizon and AT&T. Verizon was very expensive and AT&T has the absolute worst customer service I have ever dealt with. 

For the years I have been with T-Mobile, they have treated me right and have answered any concerns I’ve had.

Userlevel 2

Okay, so I called T-Mobile this evening and got the lowdown on payments and early payoff.

If you buy one of the new phones and want to pay it off early, you can, however you need to wait at least two billing cycles for the first credit to show up. Once that hits your account you can pay off your phone and the monthly credits will continue. 

Now, with that being said, she did state that my phone will still remain locked for t24 months and can be unlocked after that.

That’s interesting and different from Verizon, where once you pay off the device, any credits you receive stop.   On the other hand, once you pay off the device early, you only need to wait 60 days for unlocking

I have a question ? So I am trading in my iphone 11 pro and getting 13 pro. They are giving 1000$ for 30month contract. I am currently on Magenta Amplified Plan , but the contract said I should be on Magenta MAX. I am wondering if I have to upgrade the plan to receive credits everymonth. CAN someone explain me how this thing works ?