Solved

Esim for prepaid android customers

• 6 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Esim for iphones is here for a while (I have pixel 3a, which supports esim)

However,

- there is no esim app for android

- and reps in store can't set it up for me 'because you're in prepaid'

How do I migrate to esim in this case?

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 8 January 2020, 23:14

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

For our prepaid folks, activating an eSIM is only available through select iPhones. eSIM on an Android device is available if you make the switch over to a postpaid account.

Isn't this stupid? Does apple pay for banning other esim phones?

Why does tmobile sell pixels if you don't can't support their capabilities?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We do support eSIM we just have two different options for prepaid and postpaid customers. T-Mobile eSIM has info for postpaid customers and T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM app.

I have a T-Mobile Connect (prepaid) plan on a Google Pixel 4a 5G and am receiving an error trying to switch from physical SIM to eSIM.  I need to do this because my other carrier (SFR in France) does not support eSIM.  A major reason I bought the Pixel was eSIM Support.

For our prepaid folks, activating an eSIM is only available through select iPhones. eSIM on an Android device is available if you make the switch over to a postpaid account.

Your post is more than one year old.  Is that still true?  I read the documentation very carefully and it appears that my device should be eligible:

The page at https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-esim under “What smartphones are compatible with eSIM?” says “Currently, iPhone XS and newer models, Pixel 3 and newer models, Samsung Galaxy Note20 & Note20 Ultra, and Motorola Razr 5G are compatible with the T-Mobile eSIM solution.”, so I’m good there.  The question “I’m a T-Mobile Prepaid customer. Can I activate an eSIM on my compatible phone?” is answered “Prepaid customers using eSIM capable iOS phones can activate a line of service on eSIM in the T-Mobile eSIM app. eSIM for Prepaid customers using Samsung Note20 or Note20 Ultra is not available at this time.”, so that is also ok.

The error message says: “There is an issue with your SIM profile… Subject Code 8.1.1 Reason Code 3.8” and suggests providing the EID number to customer service, but they won’t accept it.

If I must have a postpaid account or iPhone to activate eSIM, could I switch to postpaid, activate eSIM, then switch back to prepaid the following month?

Alternatively, could I activate eSIM on a borrowed iPhone, then immediately transfer the account back to the Pixel, keeping the eSIM capability?

Or, any other suggestions (other than leaving T-Mobile)?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there, @Stewart1!

For a prepaid account, at this time the eSIM application is only available through the App store for iPhone XS or newer.  

You could certainly switch back and forth for your situation, but the easier solution would likely be to just activate the iPhone on a separate prepaid account that can be cancelled when you no longer have need.  Please note that customer care requires an actual SIM card number to activate a new line (the 8901 number) whereas the retail locations can activate a line using your eSIM’s EID (the 8904 number) so that would be your best bet.

Hope this helps!

@magentatechie , many thanks for the prompt reply.  We have two Google Pixel 4a (5G) devices (and two prepaid accounts) that we would like to convert to eSIM.  We would not be using any iOS devices.  I have a few additional questions:

1. At a retail location, can they set up the eSIMs to replace the physical SIMs on the existing accounts (similar to if I lost the physical SIMs)?  If so, what costs (if any) apply?
  2. If not, if I visit the store and open two new prepaid accounts with eSIMs, what costs apply (other than the first month’s service)?  Do I have to buy SIM starter kits?
  3. Once the new eSIM prepaid accounts are open (before the old accounts have expired), can they port the numbers from the old accounts to the new?

I visited a T-Mobile store today and asked about switching to eSIM.  The agent said it could easily be done, but I would lose 5G capability.  Is that correct?  If so, do I lose all 5G or just 5G Standalone?  I can’t find anything on the web that mentioning eSIM limitations.