Solved

External IP address registered to VPN proxy company?

• 17 April 2020
  • 5 replies

I use my TMO Prepaid Data plan in a LTE router for backup Internet service at my home. It connects to the same cell on the same tower every time. Recently, when doing a Speedtest, the service provider shows as DataCamp Limited or Web2Objects LLC instead of T-Mobile. AFAIK, these are VPN proxy IP addresses. The Datacamp IP shows up as downtown Manhattan, the Web2Objects in Brooklyn, NY. My LTE connection is to T-Mobile Cell ID 13034502 on LTE Band 12

T-Mobile Cell ID 13034502, LTE Band 1. The Tower eNB ID= 50916, [310, 260, 23022] Latitude: 40.759268, Longitude: -74.695283. DataCamp Limited is a UK company. I have had no success attempting to contact them. I wouldn't think they would want me using their resources and I don't want to either. What to do?

icon

Best answer by magenta10616297 21 April 2020, 23:39

View original

5 replies

I can assure you that your phone is not on LTE band 1 in the USA. Maybe your diagnostic software is not providing good information.

T-Mobile used to have data plans with real ipv4 addresses. I had one. AFAIK, today all the consumer plans are NATed and firewalled seven ways from Sunday.

It's Band 12 (see end of the first paragraph). I inadvertently overwrote the "2" in "Band 12" on the second line. So, You are quite correct I am not connecting tp And 1 in the US. The rest of the information is all correct. When the service provider is DataCamp Limited, it appears on at least 3 different IP addresses that I have been able to catch.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

What if you do a manual network selection on your phone, then do the speedtest again? Does it show T-Mobile?

@tmo_mike_c In the original post, I indicated that I used my T-Mobile Data SIM in an LTE Router for backup Internet. I connect to that router via WiFi from an old AirPort Extreme, NOT a direct connection to a T-Mobile cell from my iPhone 11 Pro. In trying to figure out how to do what you suggested, I dragged a laptop up to the loft where the LTE router and AirPort are installed and plugged inn ethernet cable instead of using WiFI. First Speedtest over WiFi from my iPhone showed me the problem, but the first Speedtest from the laptop did not.  So, same cellular connection, two different results. Then the issue became clear. I use the Encrypt.me app on both our iOS and macOS devices. The way I have Encrypt configured, wired connections are assumed to be Trusted. WiFi connections are considered to be Untrusted unless the SSID is listed in the Encrypt whitelist of trusted networks. Turns out that about three weeks ago I changed the name of the WiFi network connected to my cellular router to make it appear last in priority to keep a MacBook Air and an iPad from connecting to it automatically. Before I noticed that problem, I was regularly using up most of my Data. What I failed to do was adjust the Encrypt whitelist of Trusted Networks so when my iPhone 11 connected via the cellular router, it assumed the network was Untrusted and secured it with a VPN. It happened so fast that I never noticed. Anyway, correcting the whitelist fixed the problem. Now every connection shows the service Provider properly as T-Mobile. The IP addresses I have been seeing have to be the VPN tunnels that Encrypt uses.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Wow, awesome job with process of elimination! So glad that you figured it out and things are working. Thanks for posting the solution. I'm sure this can be helpful other folks that find it.