Solved

Family Account settings not taking effect.

• 13 February 2017
  • 24 replies

Family Account settings not taking effect. I've setup allowed numbers and I've blocked all time access and even tried to disable the phone but data still works. The phone I've set it up on can still access everything can call numbers not on the Allowed list.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 21 February 2017, 01:16

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

That's a shame to hear it's giving you trouble @arsin29. After you've made the changes, have you tried signing back into your Family Allowances to see if they are still saved properly? Just a heads up, the Family Allowances won't take effect if the phone's are connected to Wi-Fi as this connection isn't part of the T-Mobile network.

Yes - the changes were still there. At the time I had changed the wifi password so it wasn't connecting to it. I also had the phone with me and it seemed to take 48 hours for phone numbers to be blocked, however, data still worked. I was still able to access the internet, etc. I had tested by calling a number not on the allowed list and got a message saying something to the effect that this service/number is not allowed at this time but was able to go to a browser game.

On a related note, when I removed a blocked number, the changes took affect within an hour. Blocking the number again didn't work again until the next day (less than 24 hours).

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hmm. That's really interesting. Are you making all the changes from the website? You can also make the changes from the T-Mobile App if you have it. Can you try changing the settings from the app to see if it makes a difference? I'd just like to see if this is stemming from just the site, or the app too.

I originally used the app on my phone which made me sign into a browser version of the portal to make the changes. I've enabled everything, waited until I verified it all worked, then disabled the phone which should have blocked everything. But data was still allowed. I ended up having to buy a flip phone to use interim since I can't seem to use family allowances to block data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hmm. That's interesting it doesn't just keep you within the app when you try to make changes. 😕 I believe we're at a point where we'll need to have you Community-2153 and have our Care team file a Help Desk Ticket. That'll get our web team to take a look at your Family Allowances on the back end.

We are discovering that Family Controls are a Joke, a SLAP IN THE FACE to all Parents! it's useless.  In my opinion T-Mobile should want to be LEADERS in this arena.  You should be able to hire code writers that can handle this BASIC parental need.  If a PRE-TEEN can circumvent your parental controls, you are failing us all.

It is simple really.  If we choose 9PM- 11PM and 11PM to 6AM and click save settings it should effectively render the phone USELESS.  Whatever code you have written to shut ALL ACCESS down when a customer is delinquent in paying you.....CONNECT IT TO THE PARENTAL CONTROLS for the allowable use hours Parents set.

This is RIDICULOUS.  Be the HERO for the Parents, we need one, these SCREENAGERS are out of control.

I agree- not really sure what I'm paying for, as "disabling" the child's phone appears to have no effect whatsoever. This "add-on" seems to be just a donation to T-Mobile that provides no benefit to the customer.

I’ve been experiencing the same thing - very frustrated!  I want to be able to block my child from using the phone overnight and this feature does not work as advertised!

Please help fix this issue.

I am having the same issues. I set up the lines for the time frames I didnt want my kids to use their phone or internet. These settings never went into effect. I contacted tmobile and they suggested I reboot the phones but that didn't help either. Anyone have any other suggestions on why this is not working. 

Userlevel 2

Same issue. This feature is broken and useless.

Badge

I have done it over and over & like a nut, I save it twice in a row to be sure. Sometimes it works great & she’ll be on the phone at 11:00 when it will cut right out. People will get a message saying calls are not allowed on that line. Other times, calls will go on all night no matter what I do. I’ve turned the phone off online & nothing. I’ve spoken to reps & they said “looks good from here.” I don’t know what else to do.

Same issue….WTF TMO????

Badge

I have done it over and over & like a nut, I save it twice in a row to be sure. Sometimes it works great & she’ll be on the phone at 11:00 when it will cut right out. People will get a message saying calls are not allowed on that line. Other times, calls will go on all night no matter what I do. I’ve turned the phone off online & nothing. I’ve spoken to reps & they said “looks good from here.” I don’t know what else to do. There has to be something that can be done about this. I’m tired of relying on the Family Allowances to shut down the phone & then hearing her talking at 1:00 a.m. & not on WIFI either. And no, taking the phone at night isn’t an option as she listens to music to sleep.

Badge

I have the same question or similar issue.  My daughter has a line with her own number.  It is a family account.  I have Family Allowance enable on her line. 

Limit Device Access- The boxes are checked M-F 9-11pm and 11-6am and S-S same time.

Minutes- Uncheck No Allowance

Messages- Uncheck No Allowance

Unless I am missing something this should cut off any data communication on this line regardless if she is on a call or actively texting someone. 

How quickly does the block take effect? 

I would like to completely cut off any data communication at a specific time regardless if she is on a call or not.

Badge

I’ve unchecked No Allowances & put in specific amounts. It worked once. She was on a call & it shut off because of the amount limit-not because it was past 9 p.m. which should have done it anyway & didn’t. It’s never worked again.

I've gotten it to work for the phone only...which is useless!!! DATA has never stopped. Really upsetting! Are all the kids using iPhones? Mine is... Or is anyone having trouble with android, too?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

These features aren’t a replacement for being a parent!  If you don’t want your children using their device between a specific time, you could always take the device away from them.  These blocks are pretty easy to work around, especially for tech savvy kids.  The parents need to up their game here in my opinion.  

Badge

@syaoran-  You must be speaking from experience as you are a parent yourself. Right?

It is easy to offer advice to parents to make the “you could always take the device away” suggestion.  Although that would be the “easy” temporary fix but it comes with a price for the parent attempting to take the device away from their children or teenagers. 

I am sure that some of us have thought of that idea as an option but some of us don’t exercise that plan because we have to weigh the good with the bad as it is not about trying to “up our game” as it is that we want TMO service to work as intended. 

These features aren’t a replacement for being a parent!  If you don’t want your children using their device between a specific time, you could always take the device away from them.  These blocks are pretty easy to work around, especially for tech savvy kids.  The parents need to up their game here in my opinion.  

I didn’t see anyone here asking to have a parent replaced. All I saw is people asking that T-Mobile’s service works properly. Have you ever heard ‘pick your battles’? You can argue with your kids every day...one more minute, 5 more minutes or you can have it automatically turn off and that’s that. Little kids tend to be easier...teenagers not so much. 

Almost 2023 and the family allowances are still false advertising!  

I've gotten it to work for the phone only...which is useless!!! DATA has never stopped. Really upsetting! Are all the kids using iPhones? Mine is... Or is anyone having trouble with android, too?  

Android too!  

I signed up for this useless Add-on-the reps are ok, but tow the company line that “Family Allowances appears to be working from our end”.

It’s a great idea, but for some machiavellian purpose T-Mobile won’t produce a working product.  Maybe it’s for the greater good and they’re teaching us to be parents?  If anyone finds that “Parental Guidance” is billed as an Add-On then time to look for a new carrier.

Device access limitation still not working for me. Any update as for 2024?

This crap doesn't even work to block numbers, they're still able to get through. A rep supposedly fixed it but messed up my phone from dialing out. I called back to get that fixed, yesterday. Today the same number was able to get through again. The fraud spam and texts are all because of tmo to begin with. They need better protection in place, robokiller does a better job. I told her i wasn't paying for it due to tmo being breached. I'm glad i didn't because well it doesn't work anyway.