Question

Family Mode

• 26 August 2019
  • 10 replies

Our 15 year old appears to be turning off the VPN at will.  Is this possible and if so, can this be prevented?  I checked the FAQs and I was unable to find any similar question, and if true, this program seems to have a large vulnerability.  Thanks for any suggestions.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Here's a thread similar to yours.

When I had family mode , I was able to turn off phones from the app but I don't know if that option is still available.

Disabling FamilyMode

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi there and thanks for posting.

Have you checked out the thread above to see if that helps? Please let us know.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi again.

Did the info in the posts above help? Please keep us posted.

Thank you for your follow up.

This post did NOT resolve our issue. It also supports the apparent fact that my 15 year old is able to turn off the VPN on his cell phone, which then defeats the Family Circle app which we thought would provide us the ability to track his usage & control his ability to access the internet, games, etc.

We would appreciate any suggestions! We are very frustrated

Thank you again for following up!

Sent from my iPhone

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Is your 15 year old using an iPhone or an Android device? I believe that other thread refers to disabling apps only on Apple devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Is there an app or something in the VPN settings to password protect it

from being disabled.

You may have to check on your son's phone.

He has an iPhone 6s.

Sent from my iPhone

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I saw this article on how to lock access to apps that is on the iPhone.

It's called Guided Access.

Go to settings, accessibility and select guided access from there you can set a pin.

It's worth a try.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/tablets/how-password-protect-iphone-apps-folders-3502303/

@gramps28 has a great suggestion. Have you given that a shot? At this time, we don't have any other workarounds for the VPN being disabled.

VPN doesn’t show up in apps and after a couple of hours searching, I haven’t found any way to prevent the user of the child’s phone from disconnecting from the VPN.  It’s the fatal flaw in FamliyMode.  It simply doesn’t work unless the user is not  savvy enough to search Google for a way around the app.