Solved

Fraudulent activity by a TMobile employee switching my SIM # to a new device to steal funds

• 22 January 2020
  • 24 replies

Badge

Hello,

Sorry for the long post to follow.

Here is what happened to me recently. On Sunday 1/19/2020 around 2:30pm, I noticed that I lost T-Mobile network connection. Everybody around me, including those with T-Mobile network were fine, with 4-5 signal bars. I assumed it was a phone/setting issue, rebooted the phone, reset the network setting, but nothing. Removing the SIM and re-entering did nothing either. I decided to turn off my phone for a little bit then an hour later, when I turned it on, I still had the same issue, WIFI was working though. I decided to try my friend’s SIM to see if it was a phone issue or SIM and network connection came back so it was a SIM issue. I decided to call TMobile with my friend’s phone that evening and they were able to reactivate my phone. I asked them what happened and they said that they were not sure, most likely a glitch.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning 1/21/2020 at 4am (I wake up early), I checked my bank account and see that there was a unauthorized transfer from my bank to my coinbase (a site where you trade cryptocurrency). I immediately tried to logon to coinbase but my logon and pw were not working. I set up a 2steps verification for coinbase where you also need to receive a text to your phone and enter the code before you can successfully login to the site.

It was at that point that I realized what happened. Someone had taken over my SIM that Sunday so that they could receive the text verification. After I called my bank to dispute the charge, after I called coinbase to lock my account, I started to do some research online which confirmed that the SIM hacking was a real thing but they said that someone would have to call the phone company and impersonate me, and know my 6 digit password in order to make any change to the account. I immediately called Tmobile to find out if that was the case. The rep told me that she only saw my calls requesting to reactivate my phone and that no one else called. She then said that there was only a “Follow-up” showing on my account that day. I asked what a “Follow-up” was and she said it was when the customer opens a case and that a rep goes back into the account later to follow-up. It was at that point that she realized that the rep switch my SIM to another device. She immediately raised the issue of fraud, asked me to hold then went to talk to a supervisor. She came back saying that a fraud case has been opened and that they will investigate. As for me, I had nothing to worry about and that they added some extra protection on my account so that it never happens again. But that that was it and I would have to deal with the banks to get my money back.

I spend the rest of the day checking my credit, changing all my passwords, adding a red flag to my 3 credit reports, then this morning, found out that another $2500 has been transferred out of one of my account. The banks were fine to deal with and said they will dispute the charges but I have to wait for the inquiry and a determination will be made after. On the other hand, the crypto website coinbase, told me that I was on my own and that they only insured the lost money if their entire site was hacked and said that I should have protected my account better.

I called TMobile right after to inquire if they had a fraud team or legal team I could talk to but the only thing I received was the following address: Tmobile wireless legal department

12920 South East 38th street

Bellevue Washington  98006

It has been a nightmare for the last 2 days, the level of stress is out of control and all I get from T-Mobile is a sorry but that’s all we can do.

So the question is, isn’t T-Mobile responsible for this given that it was an employee who did this?

Note: I am assuming only an employee would have access to their system unless their whole system got hacked and that would be a bigger issue…

I only know it was someone with access to the Tmobile system because the rep on the phone told me.

But even if it was someone impersonating me without my 6 digit code (unique password that I use for TMobile by the way, not written down anywhere and that nobody knows), how would they be able to request to move my SIM info to a new device without a misstep from someone given that they don’t have the password to the account?

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone from Tmobile will read this and can provide me assistance.

Thanks,

Khoi

Note: If your phone suddenly loses cellular network and everybody around you on the same network are fine, remember to call your cell phone provided immediately to avoid what happened to me.

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 27 January 2020, 16:47

View original

24 replies

Badge

Update:

I also posted on the Tmobile facebook page and received a response. I responded as well (edited to remove the rep last name. Not sure if he would want me to post his name).

TMobile rep:

"Hello. Thanks for reaching out to T-Force. You depend on your cellphone to stay connected to all that is important to you. At T-Mobile we take account security and privacy very seriously. You did all the right things by contacting your bank, credit agencies, and us to let tell us what happened. When this type of thing happens with a T-Mobile account there are a number of possibilities or causes. The good thing is that a fraud case has been opened with your account. Our fraud team will be able to investigate the changes made on your account to determine exactly what happened and take the necessary steps for anyone involved. We're not able to discuss the exact details like names or locations found on the account as it's an internal process. Our fraud team will contact you if they need any additional information directly. From here you'll want to continue working with your bank and other accounts to get things back to normal and keep them secured. If you would like to speak with someone in our fraud team or have more questions I would encourage you to send a written response to the address you were given. Be sure to include your full name, phone number and any relevant account details so they can respond correctly. Here in T-Force we're your total one stop shop for all things Magenta. We have access to the same information and details as our Customer Care team does, but you can work with us at your own pace instead of having to be on the phone. Give me a holler if you have any other questions we can assist with. T-Force is always standing by! "

Me:

"The problem is Nathan is I barely slept for the last 2 days, my coinbase asset are most likely gone since they are not insured. All I got from tmobile was what you just said. "Sorry and work with your bank".Given that it was an internal issue and that my account was compromised because of tmobile, I would hope that tmobile would step up and help me retrieve the funds that I lost."

TMobile rep:

"I completely understand where you're coming from. These types of situations can take up a lot of your time getting everything straightened out. T-Mobile does everything possible to keep your account and connection secured. We also recommend setting up 2-step authentication with your account and using a strong My T-Mobile password that is different from any of your other accounts. I hear you that this has caused stress and caused you to lose money from your bank accounts. I'm truly sorry that this happened and I hope that none of our customers have to go through this. To be transparent, T-Mobile would not be able to help you retrieve or replace the funds that were lost. We can only recommend that you continue working with your bank to file this as a fraud claim and have them investigate. If you have any additional questions or concerns about your fraud case I would strongly encourage you to make a submission in writing to the fraud address you were provided. They will be better able to explain any details and provide you guidance on next steps or information."

I am just hoping to read some opinion/advice because I really don't know what else to do at this point.

Userlevel 3

Gosh, that's a nightmare of a situation especially considering you may not be able to get those funds back from coinbase. I know that with every day passing you need more answers. Unfortunately, this is a situation that only our fraud team can handle. I hate to repeat the same info you've been given multiple times, but we have to allow the fraud department to research what exactly happened which will determine the outcome.

Hey Aznfrenchboyca, this just happen to me 2 days ago. I lost network for about 10-15 minutes and got my signal back. I didn't know what happen till the next day after I did some more searching. Look in your deleted emails and restore any deleted emails. You will find all the details password being changed and transactions from CoinBase. They hacked by switching SIM and getting the text to reset your email account. Once the got in, they were able to reset your password for CoinBase and get pass the 2FA when they had your cellphone number.

I also called Tmobile to verify my SIM was switched and was switched back after 10-15minutes. They also told me it was a glitch. I have a PIN Setup too but they were able to bypass that somehow. I asked how did they switch it and they said it was in store and a tech may have accidently switched it. Seems like this is very well coordinated scheme by a Tmobile employee or someone with Tmobile account access. It took them less than 15minutes to switch SIM, reset/change my email password with phone number, reset/change CoinBase password. Then get money out from CoinBase. I removed my banking info from CoinBase. It is not secure enough to keep it on there.

the IP address logged to change my password is 141.98.25.168 and it's from the United Kingdom. I wonder if it's the same people since I got hacked only a few weeks from yours.

Badge

Hi K-T,

Sorry it happened to you too. I tracked the IP down and mine was from Toronto Canada. I'm sure they used a VPN to reroute and hide their IP though. The case is still open with my bank. They temporarily credited my account the $2500 I lost but have not made a final determination yet. As for the money I lost from coinbase, coinbase told me I was out of luck, that they did not get hacked so the money would not be insured. I hope you didn't lose too much from coinbase.

I spoke to some FBI cybercrime office and the guy told me straight forward that nobody would do anything unless I lost thousands of dollars.

Luckily I kept most of my crypot assets elswhere and only lost a few hundreds from coinbase. T-Mobile eventually covered that lost for me.

Same happened  to me last night but i was able to stop the attack before they got the funds. this is really bad for tmobile since I just traded my phone for a new one and this happened. this is an inside job for sure since have access to change the sim.

Thanks,

AM

dragon1562 is trying to keep up the discussion, via the link posted below.. There’s several different threads regarding SIM swap attacks.. I feel it’s kind of clear that scammers are either taking advantage of the pandemic or taking the risks because of it. 
https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/sim-swap-vulnerabilities-2fa-risks-31971

I’m thinking of starting a kind of survey where users could share their experiences and perhaps see if there’s a bigger picture or more common denominators. I’m a web developer so form applications and charts are my thing.

Hello,

I am one of the employees at T-mobile (joined last month on 12/7/2020), Today (1/19/2021) while I was working in the store I got a call from a guy who claimed that He is speaking from the T-Mobile service department and that they are just checking if the system is working properly, The guy knew everything about T-Mobile systems (REMO, Tapestry, Quikview, etc) and so I thought that he’s really someone who is calling from T-Mobile, He told me to go to Tapestry and gave me some numbers and asked me to swap the sim number on those accounts, I did around 4 accounts (he gave me the sim numbers) and after that when I told the manager about it He told me that it was a fraud call and asked me to hang up. We have already reported to higher officials at T-Mobile but now I am scared that I might get fired for this mistake. I know we are not supposed to do any changes to the account over the phone but the guy on the phone knew everything about T-Mobile and I really thought that he is someone calling from the T-Mobile service department when I searched it on Google I found out that many employees have been fooled by this team of scammers and today I also became their victim, also costumers who got affected or whose sim was swapped it was not done intentionally but because new employees like me were tricked into doing this.

I just wanted to deal with T-Mobile and they already gave me hard time before I start! a guy his name John , who I couldn’t understand his accent! got all of my information including social security, we talked 2 days before trying to activate prepaid esim on Apple Watch but it didn’t work out then he advised me to switch to postpaid and to create Apple Watch account for me and pay monthly $20 I accepted that, then he started to ask about my information and when we got to the social security number I told him I don’t feel comfortable to do so online, let me think about it and you can call me in 2 days, he called today and I gave him all the information and the credit card information then for some reason we got disconnected, he never called back And I tried 10 times so far with customer service to know what happened or at least to transfer me to any supervisor but it likes talking in well, you hear yourself and the other side doesn’t understand you and you don’t understand him, I believe the customer service is not on USA it’s in India and communication sometimes goes to dead end, ending up for the customer service representative to pretend that he is not online and them disconnect you, it’s very frustrating! all what they know is to keep transferring you from one to one and no one can help 

really sad !!!!!

Hello, I have somehow stumbled upon this thread after only being affected by the same crime as I read above. Yesterday on 12/21/21 around 4 pm I received a “verification” text about changing my coinbase password AND my T-Mobile password. And I dial the number for T-Mobile customer service my cell service drops. I’m still connected to wifi but my wifi calling was disabled. I turn my phone on and off, then in a panic I realize I’ve probably just been hacked. I use the wifi to access my online banking only to see that $750 has been transferred to my coinbase account. Now I’m losing my mind and the only thing I think to do is physically go to a T-Mobile store to get my service restored as I have no way of calling anyone for help. The employees were able to get my service on but didn’t know what to do to stop the people from hacking me. They did ask if I knew anyone who worked for the phone company or if anyone had access to my SIM card/old sims, all of which the answer is no. I end up closing my checking account, canceling all of my cards and changing my phone number. Today, 12/22/21 I wake up to yet again another text confirming that I changed my T-Mobile password. They’re literally trying to do this again! After hours on the phone with T-Mobile “experts” and my bank. When I called T-Mobile today they told me they’d put “extra protection” in place for my account and that now my account would be under investigation for fraud. Not sure why it wasn’t under investigation since yesterday. I’m now awaiting a call back from the “higher ups” at T-Mobile. Hopefully my phone will remain in service so I can access the call and not someone else impersonating me. If this issue persists I plan on closing my T-Mobile account and going else where. This has been such a pain to deal with, all while battle what I thought was COVID (I tested negative today!) and trying to prepare for the holiday season. Stay safe everybody. Just know that this scam is far from over or “solved” as the green icon at the top of this thread indicates. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I’m just throwing this out there but something else to consider is that the e-mail address associated with your T-Mobile account could have been compromised.  I encourage everyone to add 2 step authentication to their e-mail account because someone could log in to your e-mail to receive the one time pin that is sent out when performing a SIM update.  If you’re getting notifications that your password on T-Mobile.com has changed, it could be because of the e-mail address access.  

This exact thing just happened to me today

Hello others affected, 

I have been investigating this exact same issue for over a year. Exact same thing, passwords changes, account PIN number changed, multiple emails from T-Mobile with different phone numbers to call, all in the name of some Magenta Marketing Platform? (Google it) ? I just called in and spoke with a representative about 2 months ago. Thought I secured my account with a new PIN number. Yet when I log into my account, it states my PIN number hasn't been changed in almost 10 months. Monthly stats don't even come close to what my phone states, compared to the amount of texts, data reflected in T-Mobile sure. 
Unlike most here I do not have Coinbase nor Crypto currency, however analytics have shown multiple, almost nightly, account/network switches and sure enough Crypto currency transfers / data transmission. I have see it link to household IOT such as my first alert smoke alarm, chamberlain garage door hub, and my vehicle 4G. For the sake of transparency, I think this is a much bigger issue involving/starting when I activated my vehicle online app that connects to my car for remote start, parking location, maintenance and service, etc. I believe they are using random customers SIM. I noticed my text messages went up by over 400%, not a concern for T-Mobile as they investigate and said nothing found out of the ordinary. My bill is a constant 70$/month, I would have never noticed unless I pressed to view the pdf image of the monthly bill. For the past 10 months, my bill is almost comical. It's a text message to numbers, followed my hundreds of short codes, followed  by a certain friends number, then hundreds of short codes again. It goes on for 50 to 100 pages monthly. All with zero concern to T-Mobile, I'm the only crazy one I guess, but I thought I'd share my experience from the other side of this possible fraudulent activity. 

The traces connecting to my home network, IOT, and vehicle all have to do with dealerships and their access to your vehicle 4G remotely. Possibly via the software X-Time? (Google it) They all state a name XXX...Garage. So with everyone having a cellular phone number with a SIM, and a 4G connected vehicle. I can only imagine how much fraud is occurring. I can't deactivate my Vehicle 4G network according to the Dealership. 

Userlevel 1

Update:

I also posted on the Tmobile facebook page and received a response. I responded as well (edited to remove the rep last name. Not sure if he would want me to post his name).

TMobile rep:

"Hello. Thanks for reaching out to T-Force. You depend on your cellphone to stay connected to all that is important to you. At T-Mobile we take account security and privacy very seriously. You did all the right things by contacting your bank, credit agencies, and us to let tell us what happened. When this type of thing happens with a T-Mobile account there are a number of possibilities or causes. The good thing is that a fraud case has been opened with your account. Our fraud team will be able to investigate the changes made on your account to determine exactly what happened and take the necessary steps for anyone involved. We're not able to discuss the exact details like names or locations found on the account as it's an internal process. Our fraud team will contact you if they need any additional information directly. From here you'll want to continue working with your bank and other accounts to get things back to normal and keep them secured. If you would like to speak with someone in our fraud team or have more questions I would encourage you to send a written response to the address you were given. Be sure to include your full name, phone number and any relevant account details so they can respond correctly. Here in T-Force we're your total one stop shop for all things Magenta. We have access to the same information and details as our Customer Care team does, but you can work with us at your own pace instead of having to be on the phone. Give me a holler if you have any other questions we can assist with. T-Force is always standing by! "

Me:

"The problem is Nathan is I barely slept for the last 2 days, my coinbase asset are most likely gone since they are not insured. All I got from tmobile was what you just said. "Sorry and work with your bank".Given that it was an internal issue and that my account was compromised because of tmobile, I would hope that tmobile would step up and help me retrieve the funds that I lost."

TMobile rep:

"I completely understand where you're coming from. These types of situations can take up a lot of your time getting everything straightened out. T-Mobile does everything possible to keep your account and connection secured. We also recommend setting up 2-step authentication with your account and using a strong My T-Mobile password that is different from any of your other accounts. I hear you that this has caused stress and caused you to lose money from your bank accounts. I'm truly sorry that this happened and I hope that none of our customers have to go through this. To be transparent, T-Mobile would not be able to help you retrieve or replace the funds that were lost. We can only recommend that you continue working with your bank to file this as a fraud claim and have them investigate. If you have any additional questions or concerns about your fraud case I would strongly encourage you to make a submission in writing to the fraud address you were provided. They will be better able to explain any details and provide you guidance on next steps or information."

I am just hoping to read some opinion/advice because I really don't know what else to do at this point.

I understand your frustration with the whole crypto shiz. I have a rather large portfolio with both Coinbase and my Cashapp balance. Here is what I do since I am paranoid. 1) You need to just accept the Crypto loss (trust me I know, I’ve been there. It’s hard but there’s virtually nothing anyone can do since Crypto is not FDIC Insured.) accept the loss, and 2) Get a 2nd Line and phone. This is what I did, I bought 2 iPhone 12 Pro Max’s that were identical! I set up the accounts where I keep my Crypto and extra cash up on my main phone, and on the 2nd, I set up 2FA (2Factor Authentication) on the secondary phone. Yes it costs more, but it was well worth the added protection. I ALSO 3) WOULD PIN LOCK YOUR SIM, that’s another safeguard I did, so if SOMEONE should steal my sim, once inserted they’d have to unlock the actual sim to use it. 4) I also use google Authenticator for both apps, meaning I have 4FA essentially. You MUST safeguard you uninsured Crypto like that. One other thing I was thinking of getting once my Crypto Wallet hits a certain threshold is I’m looking to purchase the Ledger Nano X. It’s an external “Thumbdrive” with its OWN Authentication safeguards. So if someone steals it you can track em and they won’t even know nor be able to even see what on the Drive 😂 hope this helps.. and I’m sincerely sorry for that Loss of yours. 

This same thing happened to me last night except for Tmobile confirmed to me when I went into the store to get my Sim straightened out that the Sim switch was in fact done by a T-Mobile employee. I am filing a police report with my local PD and will be contacting an attorney to try and get my money back from Tmobile due to their negligent employee. This is terrible. I also have a contact to our local news and since it’s in LA it’s not a small new station. After I get my attorneys involved I am going to contact the local station so that they can make this known to all. I will be searching for a new company soon. T-Mobile offered NOTHING but to lock up my SIM. Pretty sad. They don’t care about us, just our $$.

This happened to me a month ago, T-Mobile said it could of been a mistake. Then happened 2 days ago. IT seems everyone at T-Mobile is incompetent when it comes to security controls to prevent this from happening.. I was assured a “flag” was on my account to prevent this from happening. That was a lie as this happened less than 30 days after the first incident. I’m ready to start legal action and question their compliance whether is is GDPR/PCI-DSS/SOX/GLBA. 

If T-Mobile employees are falling to social engineering attacks that results in fraudulent changing of someone’s SIM card. T-Mobile is at fault for a lack of policy and training.

This same thing happened to me last night except for Tmobile confirmed to me when I went into the store to get my Sim straightened out that the Sim switch was in fact done by a T-Mobile employee. I am filing a police report with my local PD and will be contacting an attorney to try and get my money back from Tmobile due to their negligent employee. This is terrible. I also have a contact to our local news and since it’s in LA it’s not a small new station. After I get my attorneys involved I am going to contact the local station so that they can make this known to all. I will be searching for a new company soon. T-Mobile offered NOTHING but to lock up my SIM. Pretty sad. They don’t care about us, just our $$.

This is crazy. Ive been wondering if someone is calling in and convincing an employee to do the sim swap or if its the t mobile employee doing it and stealing my crypto.

I'd deal with a lawyer with all of this and get out of TMobile, They should be able to figure out who's doing what? An employee (probably} but to me it seems like they blowing this all off. Get rid of them and don't do the crypto thing. Look at how muchoney people have lost just on this thread!

I'm leaving and it's the best choice for me at this time.

Badge

I don’t have coinbase, but is there provision for 2fa other than sms? Using SMS for 2Fa is a bad idea if you have something vital. I would suggest using at least TOTP instead of sms. With TOTP, even if someone SMS hijack your phone, they won’t have the TOTP. I would recommend going further and  use a hardware key.

Userlevel 1

I have the same fraud with my mobile phone on Oct 3rd.  I received the text from T-Mobile that my phone SIM has been assigned to a different phone.  This compromised the two factor authentication I have set on emails, Venmo, Robinhood and all financial accounts. Since hacker had control of my phone, they were able to change passwords and start financial transactions and transfers on various accounts.  Luckily I saw this on time and was able to reverse and get SIM assigned back to me.  This seems to be an insider in TMobile job otherwise how does SIM get transferred without approval though it needs PIN and text to Mobile phone to make any changes.  This is terrible.  I have written to Federal Communications Commission, for investigation in TMobile practices.  This is a broader issue at TMobile.  

I have the same fraud with my mobile phone on Oct 3rd.  I received the text from T-Mobile that my phone SIM has been assigned to a different phone.  This compromised the two factor authentication I have set on emails, Venmo, Robinhood and all financial accounts. Since hacker had control of my phone, they were able to change passwords and start financial transactions and transfers on various accounts.  Luckily I saw this on time and was able to reverse and get SIM assigned back to me.  This seems to be an insider in TMobile job otherwise how does SIM get transferred without approval though it needs PIN and text to Mobile phone to make any changes.  This is terrible.  I have written to Federal Communications Commission, for investigation in TMobile practices.  This is a broader issue at TMobile.  

The same thing happened to me on the same day!   All I had from them was home internet.  I made a payment two days later my device was canceled for non payment I called customer service to see what was going on and they said they couldn’t help me because I was not the primary account holder and pin code was wrong!  By the 18th I was able to see lines were added and new phone equipment was purchased under my account in my behalf.  I was able to see the receipts and the employees names one from Brooklyn New York and belluve Washington.  I also submitted to the FCC and with T-Mobiles fraud dept.  as of now the fraudulent charges are still in my account and have not been removed. Wondering if I should get a lawyer and what happens to the corrupt employees 

Like so many others the same exact thing happened to me. Tmobile let an unauthorized user who didnt have my device, or my pin, or a valid matching picture ID (all of which Tmobile had on file to use to verify the port request) and still approved the port being requested from 2500 miles away from where I live. Imagine all those red flags and they still let it go through. After the fact they blamed the thief, Coinbase who the thief reset my psswd using device they gave them before converting and transferring all the assets in the account, and even me, and they still do to this day as we sit in arbitration 18 months later. 

Researching my case they have known this was an issue for many years, proven by what I mention below, and the fact they have something in their eula specifically about it and crypto. Rather than address it they would prefer to pass the losses on to their customers which is proven by their actions. What modern feat of technology was needed to stop my sim swap? Something that should be right up a phone companies alley, a 2 min phone call to me before approving.

It gets even worse. As you can see in this article

https://www.androidpolice.com/t-mobiles-finally-taking-sim-swap-fraud-seriously-with-new-transfer-pins/

they have had a feature in place that would have protected all their customers that went through this. For the years they have known about this scam, they have had an interal setting called NOPORT. It prevents ports from going through and is only made available to their own internal employees to protect them from this scam.

At first I did tremendous amounts of research into tracking down the thief and providing it to Tmobile. They refused to provide any to me whatsoever, including those of their own internal investigation telling me I would need a court order. It became apparent to me and the detectives involved that pursuing the thief was simply not something Tmobile even tries to do, its all about debt mitigation and you instantly become their opponent instead of both of you pursuing the thief.

Media is finally starting to catch on and I have done two separate interviews for MSNBC and Yahoo finance and after all the dealing with FCC last year they passed legislation that forces companies like this to properly verify identity before a swap.

This forced Tmobile to finally change policy enough to try to contact customer first and eliminate the lone wolf employees involved by making 2 necessary to do one. Again, all that is really needed is to simply call the account holder and ask if he approves the port, it takes 2 minutes and protects your customers from years of stress and financial losses.

If this happens to you take them to arbitration. They will do nothing but lie to you, try to shift blame and intentionally waste as much of your time as possible with multiple legal firms burying you in information requests then refusing to do anything once they get them. Transferring accounts like that is gross negligence and they can not hide behind an EULA to shield them from this negligence.

Badge

So, the nightmare continues but this time it is because of the SIM lock I added to the account.

I purchased 2 new iphones and have not been able to transfer the SIM to the new eSIM on the new phones for the past 24 hours.

I called tmobile, called the store, and this is something I can only do on the phone. The phone reps told me they needed to send a request to specific team to remove the lock before I can do the SIM swap. It has been 24 hours and I am still unable to do anything.

I am sure it will eventually get resolved but having to go through this every time I get a new phone is frustrating. I told them I needed the SIM block to be re-added once the SIM swap has been completed just to be safe.

Badge +1

Screen shots don’t lie Hello to whom it may concern. My name is Karl Veal. I have a very small podcast on all apps and I have come across a story regarding Tmobile and their operations when it comes to closing customer accounts. I have a gentleman with screen shots from as low as messaging agents all the way up to high up managers at tmobile displaying absolutely disgusting behavior towards this individual concerning very eye opening dealings with his account personally. The genteman has everything including agents adding phone lines with promised equipment limit doubling and taking the phone orders for these new lines and then sending him SIM cards and a message saying hie equipment limit actually was not doubled but the request was denied. Same account has screen shots of conversations regarding a security breach on his account in 2022. A scam artist had actually put in a claim through assurant their phone insurance company and had his phone turned off and a new phone shipped to him in Nyc with the customers own credit card on file with Tmobile. Months later the gentleman had a security breach on his account with Bay and he had reached out to both companies for any information to provide his bank. Just in case it may have been the same account intruder and both companies refused his repeated requests for any information on the name the phone was sent to or the address it was sent to. Any information to help his banks investigation. Really refused any information about even if his account was refunded for this incident because his bank could not confirm. Requests for a formal investigation have still to this day gone unanswered. As recently as today after a months long investigation into missing phones on his account, the gentleman was promised credit on his account that again is acknowledged through screenshots and notes on his account for the time spent on the phone with said company and the inconvenence of an investigation that was promised to last 24 to 48 hours. Giving a little more detail about this specific incident, he reported a delivery marked delivered that he actually had not received. This was reported January 5th and a ticket to start an investigation was not filed until January 9th. Let the company informed him this 4 days tickets had been filed and the company was hard at work. Spending as much as five hours a day those four days calling and messaging the company and the delivery service UPS. On January 17th the customer had to reach out to UPS for a completely different shipment and informed them of his disapproval of damaging his current package through amazon and the wait on their investigation with tmobile a couple weeks prior. The manager in charge of lost packages informed him he was unaware the customers order had not gone as planned and nothing had been filed or notified with UPS. Just today after getting enough of their behavior for the 2nd time. First time ending with a $1600 bill that was refused to be lowered for all the mistakes on the account and forced to come back or erase the bill if he didn’t port back. Only this time the gentleman got a port code and informed the company of his intentions to leave. Listed all grounds to leave on his account and then ported the same number and device he had done so on November 10th of 2023 and returned November 24th. Looking at the behavior of every agent he came in contact with this morning im sure any current and future customers mind would be blown. Harrassment and bullying has been shown before but never in this manner. He is denied access back into his account after giving the necessary information to gain access to the account with agents even confirming his account has been confirmed. The minute he asked why his device won’t let Verizons sim on the phone and confirm he would like to close the account and pay it off right away suddenly the very same agents can’t confirm his account when they are shown to be the department to handle this issue. Tell him he can only call when they are aware his phone will no longer make calls,  will not send email confirmation to his email on the account after they repeatedly say the account is closed but will not show hime the final bill until he gives his credit card information in the same secure form 3 agents in a row insisted they don’t use to verify account can suddenly be used for credit card information.  Information provided to the company include his name, address on file, email on file, account pin, account number, birthdate and verification emails he could have easily accepted. All of this information was provided for the agents to gain access but was continually denied to the customer when he asked about the decrepency of being aloud to transfer his same number and same device in November exactly 11 days after receiving the device on a brand new payment plan and why suddenly his phone is blocked and the the phone itselfs balance is $200 plus down from before and actually on the exact payment plan that was never paid on late and actually his account bills never have once been paid late without ooutsideinterference from tmobille mistakes and his own accounts hacking. Suddenly that same phone needs to be paid off in full before they will allow Verizons sim to be put on it. This same phone that almost at full price was aloud to port from tmobile into Verizon along with 2 other almost full priced newly put on financing device plans devices. Not only that all received new Verizon SIM cards and when ported back all had to be shipped back to tmobile SIM cards. Suddenly this said to be policy on every single account with a device on a payment plan on tmobile. They will not send said policy after multiple requests or let him see the changes they claim to have made on his account. I can’t help but wonder how many times this has happened to guests all over the world and unaware agents would verify the account and transfer to correct department to get  the issues taken care of and once he asks for the account to be closed and access to said confirmation info he is told numerous times his account count be validated. One agent was asked for a manager I counted ten times and the agent refused and before he ended the talk abruptly the agent deleted every word spoke between them. Two agents actually did this after displaying behavior that I know is illegal and can be proven as illegal. I want to get other victims of this behavior to tell their stories and their cases to interested parties and be able to be heard and compensated fully for the and im sure worse experiences that haven’t been reported. This same customer has reached out to the fcc, and etc, and his states attorney generals office and is still waiting on results of their investigation and all tmobile agent made aware of this do not seem to be intimidated by their consequences. So I want this to get as big as possible with what exactly happens when this behavior can be proven in screenshot form and from simply gaining a  attorney and demanding those chats in fully. If any go the chats differ in missing sentences or in any way from the screenshots. What has their consequences been? And is this taught behavior through the company and agents in charge. How far up the company is this behavior known and not changed. When do they admit responsibility or how far does it actually have to go. If any of your reporters are willing to help me help you get this story investigated I do have all necessary information in screenshots and the comer is ready to take this to court or advice me off reporters who they know are willing to do this story please email me back at karlveal@gmail.comand please give the first episode of my podcast a listen again caller Live To Tell Podcast with Karl Veal for an idea of how I tell stories and like them to come across. Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing back………Karl