Question

Grandfathered Simple Choice

• 11 February 2021
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been a loyal TMobile customer for years -- have 5 lines.  Just tried adding a sixth line to my grandfathered Simple Choice Plan.  One service representative indicated I could add a line for $10...next representative indicated I couldn’t add lines to that grandfathered plan anymore.

Simple Choice Plan is perfect for me and my family, but don’t feel very important to T-Mobile and the few times I try to do something with my plan...just get hours of wasted time on the phone with customer service to be told they can’t do it.

Any one else on grandfathered plan and feel like a second class citizen and considering other phone providers?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As far as I know.  Adding lines to grandfathered plans is no longer permitted.  You could always update your plan to an 9n-market plan and then add a line to that.  If your current plan was adequate for your needs, then you wouldn’t need another line.  I would contact the T-Force Team via Facebook or Twitter to see if there is some sort of loyalty deal T-Mobile could offer you.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was looking for additional line for my father, but I wasn’t allowed to add a line so I got him a tracfone instead. I’ll continue looking into other carriers for my family. It’s just annoying that I can’t add a line because that was part of the agreement/understanding when I signed up.

I’ve been a loyal TMobile customer for years -- have 5 lines.  Just tried adding a sixth line to my grandfathered Simple Choice Plan.  One service representative indicated I could add a line for $10...next representative indicated I couldn’t add lines to that grandfathered plan anymore.

Simple Choice Plan is perfect for me and my family, but don’t feel very important to T-Mobile and the few times I try to do something with my plan...just get hours of wasted time on the phone with customer service to be told they can’t do it.

Any one else on grandfathered plan and feel like a second class citizen and considering other phone providers?

I have the SC Business 2 lines for $100.  No issues yet.  $40 to add more lines up to 12 lines.  Also have two free data lines with 6GB promo form 11/16, and 20GB data stash which is great when you are travelling, giving you 26GB of data per data promo line, cant beat this deal when others are paying a pretty penny for data only plans. 

I left AT&T in 2013 because TMobile was offering educators a discount. I signed up for the Simple Choice plan for $25 per line so I had a total of 4 lines for $100+10% discount. My total bill was $100.77 a month with unlimited text, voice, and data. To qualify, I had to successfully verify my eligibility through their verification dept. every year. For 7 years I did this until just recently they denied my eligibilty because they claimed the discount was an error. Is that deceitful of TMobile or what? I wish companies would be held accountable for their false claims. I understand if a company needs to make changes but they should take good care of the customers who helped get them off the ground first. I also read an article about a blog from ex TMobile CEO John Legere, saying we would be able to keep our discount but I guess not! I guess that’s the reason why he stepped down….because TMobile is corrupt!

My family and I have been loyal T-Mobile customers and also had a grandfather plan. We have been with them for over 20 years. This was honored as such until the last year or so. Customer service sucks. We had 4 lines for $100. Then they decided to paperless bill us simultaneously to the sprint plan we agreed upon. I have spent hours trying to figure out what in the hell is going on and I’m seriously considering getting rid of them forever. 

Badge

I've been on a classic 1000 minute (though they no longer count minutes afaik) for over 10 years (been with them since they were omnipoint (before voicestream). So they keep telling me that I would save money on a new plan. Online all I'm offered is the essentials plan and I don't like it. Why aren't I being offered one of the more popular plans?!?!. I DEFINITELY feel unappreciated! 

I have Simple Choice North America: Unlimited Talk & Text plan and one line cost me $10. Like to know how much tax I pay on $10 line for a month?

I just got off the phone with Customer service and did a quick search on my "grandfather" plan and found others are having somewhat a problem with my plan as well...here's my deal…

I changed over to T-Mobile and signed up for the 2 line Simple Choice unlimited for $100 in like 2014(ish?). I get a call about 5 years ago. We can offer you two phones or tablets at no charge. It was close to Christmas my kids were young so we got them tablets. When I am doing the process, I ask can I take these lines and turn them into phone lines down the road for the same price? Yes. (Ok, cool when my kids get older, I'll swap them over).

Last year, I get another call able to add another line at no cost...I have since added to our family and my oldest is now old enough for a phone so I add her a phone. 

I have 5 lines (3 phone and 2 tablets) for $100 and in my head when everyone needs a phone, I'll have 5 phones for $100... CAN'T BEAT THAT!!

This month we are having tablet issues, have old phones laying around so I'm like, I'll swap the tablets over…

Customer service is now saying that I can't swap the tablets over to a phone deal without a new plan. I have to add a line $40 and get a free line (some promo they are running)..So $140 for 5 lines...that's not what I was told..

I explained what I was told when I initially added the two tablet lines and said if I knew this I would have added phones instead of tablets...

Anyone able to swap tablet to phone without having to spend more monthly? 

I have been having the same problem with my grandfathered plan that was $10 for each additional line. I have been getting a lot of run around. Each time I call, the representative gives me a new spin. Now they are telling me that they never had a plan where the 1st 2 lines are $80 and each additional line is $10. At one point I had 5 phone lines on my plan but went back down to 2.   I know what I used to pay and they are now basically telling me that I am lying. I have had this plan for 7 years now. Since I added another phone line some months ago they have been charging me $20 for the line! Please let me know if you have gotten a solution to this problem. 

I realise this is an old thread but im going to ask anyways. We are on a grandfathered plan as well for this. My husbands been on for 7 years and i have been on it for about 3. We were under the understanding that all data through this plan was shared and that it would be a cheaper route for us too go. We recently looked at our billing statements because we were wanting to get onto our own plan. By the looks of our bill i can see(not the main account holder) for 4 lines the bill comes too just over 200 and thats fine. All phones are paid off. we noticed that the 2 on there were much cheaper and the main account holder has unlimited with the bill being about 30 dollars a month for each but my husbands bil says its 80 a month with fees and mines 60 or so with fees. so we alone are paying for our 2 lines on this plan 130- 140 of the bill. when i look at our individual accounts with the no access it says we should be paying around 90-100 for ours which would make sense because of the bill total. isnt it shared data on the plan and why are we having to pay extra for our data when the main account holder does not? We are told that its because of our add ons but when i look at our add ons we dont have any extras that would amount to this total cost. now we are trying to figure out why our bills are quite abit higher then everyone elses. i looked and there is only an option to either pay the amount for the plan fees and then pay for 30 dollars for data and have no data? how is that when the others are paying a set fee with such a low amount? no one will give me answers to this question. its like were paying the entire bill basically ourselves. How on earth is everyone else getting such low rates and we seem to be bleeding money on this plan?

Hey K3rb3ar,

I have a Simple Choice plan also, and my plan is the 4 lines for $100 with each additional line being $10. I currently have 6 voice lines, 2 Mobile internet (Tablet) lines, and one wearable (watch) line. Data is not shared. Each line has their own unlimited data. Things have changed since 2005 when I originally started with T-Mobile, especially with Data. Now, it seems you can have a voice plan without data. They used to come bundled in (talk, text and data). My plan used to include 2.5GB of high speed data per line, then T-Mobile surprised us by upgrading our data to 4GB. It was still an unlimited data plan but high speed wasn't unlimited. I know. I normally use more than 2.5 GB, plus I didn't want my video streaming resolution to be capped at 480p, so I opted for a $20 data add on that would give me unlimited 4G high speed internet with 5GB of hotspot data. No other line on my account has this add-on. This means that when I looked at my bill, I wasn't paying $100 but $120 due to the $20 add-on. I think this is what may have happened to you guys. Someone must have opted for a different data plan. With regards to making changes to the data plan, you may need to call customer service directly as the options to select new data add-on are sometimes limited on the T-Mobile app. You can also reach out to T-Force via twitter (hopefully, you use twitter) by sending them a DM (Direct Message). 

NB

My lines have been further upgraded to unlimited high speed thereby removing the 4GB high speed cap.

Im on a Simple Choice Family plan with 3 lines. I wanted to add a 4th line. I went thru the motions fo adding a line from the website. at the end it said it would be extra 25 a month. 10 for the extra line and another 15 for data, even though i never asked for data. I tried to remove the data add-on but it will not remove and forces me to keep it. I cant even change it to the free data option.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The plan is grandfathered where it is at when the plan is removed.  Adding lines are not subject to grandfathering because those lines are NEW lines.  

I am also on a grandfathered plan for over a decade. And recently around 3rd week of July this year we decide to try a Mobile hot spot (kid homework on the go) with 10GB plan and the representative told me I don’t have to worry about which plan I need yet for now just pay for taxes and fee to start my 30 days free trial. She promised to call me back before 30 day period ended (should be 1st week of Aug) but I’ve never received any call back at all but when I talked to the agent last week, they kept saying that someone was calling me and left the voicemail even though I’ve see no any voicemail on the day they’re claiming. And the agent told me that I can’t return the device anymore bc it’s over 20days old (*no one ever told me about the 20days policy at all in the first place) from the day I sign up for the trial, I was trying to explain the situation still no use, they said I have to keep paying for the device bc they can’t accept it back even though I don’t use the service that it didn’t work!
I was told by one of the representative that the company doesn’t offer much to us with grandfathered plan bc we’re not new sources of profit to them so there’s not much room to move at all either switch plan or closing the account, they’re targeting new customers and/or higher rate plan customers only with many promotions and stuffs. Very disappointed… considering different carriers now :(( 

I’m not sure where to even start because we have had numerous issues with our account starting in June, that still have not been completely corrected and resolved, but from reading the various replies here, the issue that I think we just may have inadvertently created for ourselves because we have a Simple Choice North America 6G Family Match account (that my husband has had since joining T-Mobile 12 years ago).  However, last night we had them finally remove 2 of our 4 lines (we had requested this removal in June but it never was completed and our other billing issues took a huge priority over that one.) We had been paying $10/per line per month, plus taxes and fees and we didn’t have a need for them since his daughter is now on her own plan and he didn’t need a plan for his tablet anymore, so they were about $40/month we would save. We were reassured multiple times that we would be able to add back any lines we wanted (up to 6), but said we may not get the same price/month as we currently had, but we noticed our August bill that inexplicably both lines went up to $20/per line and the reps couldn’t tell us the reason for the increase and we didn’t push it since we were removing them anyway.  But YIKES!  Reading all of the posts here makes me worried that they misinformed us BIG TIME, and if that’s the case, I think he will want to leave T-Mobile, considering the very big issues that are still ongoing with our billing invoices. Sorry to hear a lot of you have been told you can’t re-add lines.

Badge

I have a really old plan that is only voice. To get data, we added 3GB of high speed data per line for $5, which got upgraded to unlimited data last year as part of a T-Mobile special upgrade for all existing plans that had caps. My problem is that I want to add a new line of voice service and data, but now T-Mo wants to charge me $20 for 3GB of data. T-Mo reps said that we can’t get the $5 deal on new lines any more. But I’m wondering is there any way to ask them to give us the same $5 data deal that we currently have on all our original lines? If so, who would I talk to? Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The plan codes are no longer in the system. You are grandfathered in to what you have. 

Badge

I am also grandfathered into the simple choice plan. I’ve been with T Mobile for 17 years we have five lines. I called to see if we could add a line and they said sure! After the rep tried, I was told we were not able to add the line. Then I get my bill. I was charged for four days of the magenta military plan and I’m not military so when I called, they said that’s how they add a line they upgraded it, add the line and then downgraded it, they said this is a normal way they add a line to the grandfathered plan. The whole thing was crazy. Why should I pay for the upgrade? I was never informed they were going to do it. They also removed all our data plans and one of them was unlimited high-speed data for $10 another grandfathered plan, of course we can’t get that back! 

I’m having the same problem with grandfathered plans of 4 lines for $100 here. I reduced to 3 lines several years back and my bill remained the same 3 lines for $100. Sadly, TMobile treats new customers better than 20+ year, loyal customer. The fact they merged with sprint and reduced competition in the cell phone market doesn’t help. Now, $100 for 4 lines is only available on prepaid plans or holiday promotion like this for new customers.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers/t-mobile-holiday-offer-4-iphone-15s-and-4-lines-for-100-mo 

Badge

Actually after I last posted to this thread, I called customer service later at night and was able to find a TMo supervisor based overseas who was able to find the right plan codes and add them manually!! (In other words, they were able to allow me to add an additional line for the same fee as our current lines on our Grandfathered plan.) He said that for the agents, the service codes are found under plan options and features, and that the old legacy tool they use (Samsung) can’t do it. I’m not sure exactly what that all means, but perhaps if you tell a customer rep that will help move you in the right direction!