Solved

Has T-Mobile lied to you as a customer?

• 8 February 2020
  • 11 replies

I've been a T-Mobile customer for about 5 years and in the past few days I have been lied to on two desperate occasions.

1. I pay for phones for my parents but they do not get any signal at their house even though it's BRIGHT PINK on the T-Mobile coverage map. I've gone through the process of working with the tech department and a signal booster mailed to my parents. The booster seemed to work alright for a few months with an indicator showing "5" or "6" most of the time (Guessing it goes 1-9 or 1-10 depending on signal strength?). The booster stopped working and just showed a light circling in the booster apparently scanning for a signal to boost. I once again called the tech department and they sent a new signal booster in case the first one had gone bad. The booster didn't help as it also showed a light circling looking for a signal as well. I called T-Mobile for a third time about possible solutions since paying for phones that didn't have signals for retired parents who tend to be at home 99% of the time seemed like a waste of money. Once again I was transferred to the tech department and I was told the reason they were in the bright pink was due to the 5G coverage and once they stripped that layer of coverage away it actually showed my parents lived in area not covered by T-Mobile and the suggestion was made to upgrade their phones to new 5G to see if that helped with coverage since T-Mobile 5G was able to go around and through objects and provided better coverage (As opposed to switching to Verizon as their 5G signal is blocked once you go inside a house or close a sliding glass door as it's unable to penetrate objects? I'm not sure if that's true, but if not, that would be a 3rd lie by T-Moble). Anyway, I looked at the T-Mobile website and it has BIG ad for 5G. I looked at the map and 5G is not even in our area. So how did the tech strip away the 5G coverage and state my parents lived in an area not covered? Upon further investigation I found their 4G map and it shows my parents area completely surrounded in bright pink coverage for 4G? Why did the tech guy lie to me and say the reason for the bright pink coverage was due to 5G when 1. It's not even available in my area. 2. Even if you strip away the 5G area the entire area is still bright pink for 4G? Where is the dead zone?

2. I visited my local T-Mobile store (before I realized #1 was a lie) to inquire about upgrading to 5G phones as the T-Mobile tech had advised to see if it helped with coverage at my parents home. After our discussion the employee helping me whispered if I wanted the 5G phones I should grab two now because the other person in the store was looking at the same phone and the employee wanted to grab them before the other person to ensure I got them. I took this as he was implying they only had two left in stock. I didn't want to be rushed in my decision because it was through talking with this employee that I learned 5G wasn't available in this area which made me decide to leave and research the 4G and 4G coverage before making a decision. When I realized the answer to #1 and 5G was in fact NOT in my area I once again called T-Mobile to inquire about why I either mislead about the 5G coverage or outright lied to about it they stated the techs have different software in which to look at coverage areas more in depth (lie #4?). Anyway, baited the phone representative with the question that I wanted to upgrade to Samsung Note 10+ with 5G but I heard my local store may be out of the phones. The phone rep either researched the inventory or called the store and informed me that they had "plenty" in stock. I'm not sure what the definition of "plenty" is but it raised another red flag as to why the T-Mobile employee would want to make me think they were almost out of stock? Do they work commission? Is there incentive for them to upgrade current subscribers? In hindsight, it did seem a little shady whispering it to me and it was in fact one of the reasons I decided not to upgrade. It made me feel like I was trying to scam the other customer by grabbing the phones first even though he had been in their before me.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced these slippery tactics? As I mentioned before, I have been with T-Mobile for 5 years and love the company.

P.S. Why do they offer new customers deals that aren't available to current customers? If my phones are paid for and my plan is over why can't they just view me as a new customer and give me the deal? I was told the only way they could do it was to issue me new phone numbers? What a pain....not only for me but my parents are retired with doctors, pharmacies and everyone else having their current number. Changing numbers for them would be a nightmare.

Signed,

Disgruntled?

icon

Best answer by tmo_ian 13 February 2020, 17:06

I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience working with our Experts. I've sent you a DM requesting some additional information so we can get that reviewed by the appropriate teams.

For your signal booster concerns, the only thing I can think of is that we shuffled some of our networks around in preparation for a 5G launch that impacted the signal you were getting but we're not ready to launch yet. Depending on where you're at, you can have different networks running on the same frequency. For example, band 2 1900 MHz could be either 2G, 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE in your area, if that band is even in your area.

The offers question is also complicated. It's possible the offer only works for new customers. Like our Carrier Freedom™️ | T-MOBILE SUPPORT offer; we can't credit your previous carrier's balance if you're not leaving one 😊 And our deals are changing all the time, so it's possible there was a similar deal that you just missed. That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye on Our Best Deals & Promotions on Cell Phones, Devices & Plans | T-Mobile! And don't forget about our T-Mobile Tuesdays - Get Free Stuff & Great Deals | T-Mobile which you can only get as a T-Mobile customer.

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Simple. Excuses to get you off of the phone are common, sadly.  So are store employees trying to sell you whatever they can for some extra commission on top of their regular pay. 

If you have had two signal boosters and they both don't work.  If they have internet at their place, devices with WiFi Calling or a Cell Spot that uses the internet to deliver a band 4 cellular signal should work for them. 

Sadly my parents only option for internet is Hughes.net which is like old school AOL dial-up. I think it runs like 128kb download and costs them $130 a month. I have to take their computers and laptops home with me to do any updates because it literally takes all day at their house.

My goal was to give them a T-Mobile phone to plug in and just constantly have it tether for their Ipads, laptop and kindle thinking that would have to be faster than the 128kb they are currently getting and then have them cancel Hughes.net all together.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 4:51:10 PM PST, syaoran <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

|

T-Mobile Support

|

reply from syaoran in Account & services - View the full discussion

Simple. Excuses to get you off of the phone are common, sadly.  So are store employees trying to sell you whatever they can for some extra commission on top of their regular pay. 

If you have had two signal boosters and they both don't work.  If they have internet at their place, devices with WiFi Calling or a Cell Spot that uses the internet to deliver a band 4 cellular signal should work for them. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Account & services by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following Has T-Mobile lied to you as a customer? in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience working with our Experts. I've sent you a DM requesting some additional information so we can get that reviewed by the appropriate teams.

For your signal booster concerns, the only thing I can think of is that we shuffled some of our networks around in preparation for a 5G launch that impacted the signal you were getting but we're not ready to launch yet. Depending on where you're at, you can have different networks running on the same frequency. For example, band 2 1900 MHz could be either 2G, 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE in your area, if that band is even in your area.

The offers question is also complicated. It's possible the offer only works for new customers. Like our Carrier Freedom™️ | T-MOBILE SUPPORT offer; we can't credit your previous carrier's balance if you're not leaving one 😊 And our deals are changing all the time, so it's possible there was a similar deal that you just missed. That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye on Our Best Deals & Promotions on Cell Phones, Devices & Plans | T-Mobile! And don't forget about our T-Mobile Tuesdays - Get Free Stuff & Great Deals | T-Mobile which you can only get as a T-Mobile customer.

I'm a current T-mobile customer and have been for about 5 years. I currently pay for a phone for myself (S-7 Edge) and one for each of my parents (Old i-phone 5 and K10) for a total of three phones. My fathers phone (K10) stopped working and won't charge or even turn on anymore. I have tried a two different power cords so it's either a bad battery or a bad phone. Also, they live in Bow, WA which shows great coverage over the entire area on the T-Mobile 4G map but neither receive cell service at their house so worked with T-Mobile and they used a booster that worked for a few months but apparently T-Mobile may be getting ready to launch 5G so something got upgraded which dropped service to their booster so they no longer get a phone signal. The T-Mobile tech told me to get a 5G phone and see if that works since 5G is designed to go through and around objects. However, when I look at the T-Mobile map it doesn't show 5G has made it that far north.

Based on the above information I decided to stop by the T-mobile in the Cascade Mall and talked to two gentlemen about suggestions for both getting phones that actually work in the Bow, WA area and suggestions for replacing my fathers phone that is no longer working. According to the store employees I could pay one phone to replace my fathers or cancel my account and start a new account and receive a buy one get one offer. The two problems I have with that is why wouldn't the same offer be extended to current customers? Two, I was told to get the buy one get one free offer it would mean getting new phone numbers and I would not be able to port my old numbers over. My parents are retired and changing phone numbers would be a huge hassle for them considering all their doctor, prescription, home medical supply, etc..all use their current number.

I ended up leaving frustrated and more confused than before I had walked into the T-Mobile store. A couple days later I stopped by my local T-Mobile to see if they possibly had any other ideas. By the end of our conversation it seemed like the best option would be to go to a competitor like Verizon and sign up for new service with them because they would be able to port our current phone numbers over since we were coming from a different company (T-Mobile).

As a current T-Mobile customer and previous Verizon customer I don't like how I feel like I have to keep swapping back and forth in order to qualify for promotions and upgrade phones.

Thanks

On Thursday, February 13, 2020, 8:07:08 AM PST, tmo_ian <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

|

T-Mobile Support

|

reply from tmo_ian in Account & services - View the full discussion

The offers question is also complicated. It's possible the offer only works for new customers. Like our Carrier Freedom™️ | T-MOBILE SUPPORT offer; we can't credit your previous carrier's balance if you're not leaving one And our deals are changing all the time, so it's possible there was a similar deal that you just missed. That's why it's a good idea to keep an eye on Our Best Deals & Promotions on Cell Phones, Devices & Plans | T-Mobile! And don't forget about our T-Mobile Tuesdays - Get Free Stuff & Great Deals | T-Mobile which you can only get as a T-Mobile customer.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Account & services by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following Has T-Mobile lied to you as a customer? in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Yes.   They quoted a price to add netflix and then billed it out double.    They said my phone was 5g capable and then wanted me to a new 5g phone.   They said they could have wifi in my new car but now want me to buy SyncUP.   They lie about anything they can.   In person some guy tried to give me a "Free Tablet" for being such a good customer!!!   Free....let that sync in.

1. They told my cousin his S9 would be 5G capable now they are telling him it's not. 2. I had the SyncUp for a few months but it never really got used so now I just use the "Tether" feature on my phone if the kids want to use internet. (P.S. I tried to give my SyncUp away for free on Craigslist but no replies in two months...tells you something.) 3. I also fell for the free tablet scan when I signed up it was a four phone plan and I only needed three lines so they gave me some Alcatel tablet free to use as the fourth device. That thing was pure JUNK....on Day 1 I tried to update the preinstalled apps and the tablet ran out of disk space...WTF? How are you supposed to use the tablet when it doesn't even have the hard drive space to update preinstalled apps?

Such a similar experience.   Wow.  What a bunch of deceivers

First if you aren't getting tmobile 5g than you wont get Verizon ,that signal is in a few major cities. They aren't lying to you about that, verizon uses high frequency signals, kinda similar to a vive wireless vr, which is 60ghz, that cant even go through human skin. The higher the frequency basically the less it goes through.

As for the people at the store, I don't know why you expected them to know anything, they never do at any store. Verizon, atnt, or any of them. It is like thinking a car salesman knows how the car works, they are salesman. Never talk to people in a store, Walmart best buy any of them, they have no clue what they are talking about ever. I have never been in a store and got a answer to my questions from a store clerk, other than where is something. When I asked them about something, most of them just do what the majority of people do talk out thier butts, and pretend they know, so they don't feel bad. Never talk to people at the store if you want to know the truth, thier only goal is to sell you something. I stopped talking to people at stores a long time ago when I went to training for a corporation as a salesman haha. There is only one way to get accurate information, and that is to read. Then figure it out your self.

I am not sure what booster it is you are using, but a booster is only as good as the antenna you use. They sell 5g boosters but they are like a grand. I have used many of boosters in my day, and they all got me what I wanted. It took me 100s of hours to get them set up right though,  you basically are guess where the tower is , and trying to point the antenna in the right direction. Then since you are boosting the signal you gotta realize if your inside antenna is not set up right its gonna interfere with the outside one, and make a loop of trying to boost it's own signal. If you mean a booster that takes your internet and turns it into cell service that is only as good as your internet.

So what you want is a outside directional antenna usually looks like a triangle, and a inside omnidirectional antenna, and you want it lower than your directional. The best way I found to mount on is on a OLD satellite dish. I used this way with Verizon when thier lying nonsense about unlimited first came out, thier tower is over 15 miles from me through a mountain and I got about 10mbps.

Verizon banned my phone, and disconnected my usb modem, because I used like 600gb, they swore to me it was unlimited to get me to change from my 30gb plan.

Tmobile hasn't lied to me yet, though thier coverage map is off by alot I will give you that. It tells you though it is not a 100 percent accurate map, and they even offer you a free usb modem to try thier service for 30 days.

On to thier 5g, I have only had service with them for I dono like a week. I cannot get service in my house, I have to go about a mile on my hill. If you get 5g you get 4g LTE from my experience here. So just buy a Wilson or sure cell signal booster that supports t mobile frequency,  which cost like 500 bucks. Stick the antenna on the roof block the back, point it at the tower or as close as you can, and put the inside antenna low. You will get cell phone service.

Yes. We left AT&T because of issues not being resolved. We have been with T-Mobile since the S7 came out. We have ran into some bumps and resolved our issues with T-Mobile in the past. But ya, T-Mobile was very manipulative about these tablets they ran on promotion. You can get them free is you add a line and we will charge you $10 dollars a month for the line and the tablets will be credited to your account. Making them free, So we got 2 of them. But then within a few months they quit working. A couple of moths apart from each other. So I called a couple of times in the past. Just got off of the phone looking for resolution and they shut me down. I canceled my bank card today. Am going into T-Mobile with 2 tablets with sim cards inserted with an additional 6 phone sim cards. For a total of 8 lines. I've had it. I've bought S7's and S9 plus' IPhone 11 and another junk phone J3-Prime from them. Spent thousands with them. And they won't remove the tablet lines from my account and / or take them back. They are running a scam on people.  I couldn't get 2 years of usage out of them and they still want me to pay them off. Well they are a scamming company and they'll do enough scamming that at some point it will catch up to them. That's bad business. I still get promotions from AT&T. Not that I would ever go back to them. Just like I will at some point be getting stuff from T-Mobile...... I won't look back. They can send me the remaining balance for the tablets. Unlike the thousands I've spent with them, they won't ever see the $182 left for the 2 tablets that cost them thousands.  Far as I'm concerned. T-Mobile let 2 trash tablets they tricked me into getting cost them the thousands I would of spent on lines and newer phones as I went along. Who ever made that call got them set out for being money hungry. They shouldn't of  let the small stuff stop them from making the money they set out to make. Every person is a consumer of something. They just lost one and I'm sure there will at some point be more to follow. If you use T-Mobile beware of everything they do. Google everything before you buy it. Like the 5G phones they tried to promote to me. Would of gotten a couple of the newer ones. But they spent some much time searching for the 5G they bog down and the battery drains fast because they can't find the 5G signal that doesn't exist like they say it does. Be careful what you buy from these people. They lie and scam...... I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. I can't pull a 5G signal anywhere. Why? Cause despite what they say I can't catch a 5G signal. I live 6 blocks from a T-Mobile tower. So to answer your question. YES. They have not only lied to me... They have also manipulated me as well. They are selling 5G phones that they don't even supply 5G to. The tablets is what taught me to review anything I do with electronics before I purchase them. Thanks for the lesson in humility and trickery. My eyes have been opened wide when it comes to purchasing  the high dollar consumables now. If it's bad or good. Someone else has done it before you, no matter how new something is. And google is a solution to the learning lesson. Pay attention to what people say. Might save  you a head ache and some money in the long run. No longer a T-Mobile customer. Take that to the bank. Where I'll be getting my new card to replace the one I just cancelled.

I too have had experiences with T-Mobile lying to me, giving me the run around, and treating as if they’d prefer I wasn’t a customer.  I’ve been with T-Mobile for over 16 years, I pay them around 400 dollars a month, not to mention all the customers I’ve sent their way over the years, and they treat me so incredibly disrespectful. I really am considering going to At &T, or one of the new start up companies. I’m sure there are other mobile companies that would like my mone.

Multiple times just recently since I’ve only been a customer for a few months. I am leaving T-Mobile because of those lies.

• In-Store Lies
  1. Was told the monthly price would be $122 (after monthly financing of phone) minus the 3 lines of $10 for a grand total of $100 a month, after taxes (this was not suppose to include the line on us). Actually $150. (Am being charged $120 for 2 lines, that’s $60 a line and yet they are only giving me a $25 discount on the third line)
  2. Was told no bill for 30 days from activation. Received full $150 bill 10 days later, after just paying $100 for taxes and sim cards.
  3. Was told would have perfect signal. Never have signal. Text messages take hours to send. Visual Voicemail can almost never connect to the voicemail service. Calls constantly drop. Never see 4G LTE symbol on phone.
  4. Was told there was a 5G tower in Neah Bay, one between Port Angeles and Sequim, and one going up in Port Townsend. There are no T-Mobile 5G towers anywhere near by.
  5. Was told I had to choose between a free phone or 3rd line on us. Could have picked both so I owe $170 ($227 total) on a phone that should have been free.
  6. Was told that a in-home signal booster would be completely free if I call into customer service. (EDIT: The booster is the internet one and my internet is 1 gbps down/ 30 mbps up. My internet is not the reason for the failure)
  7. When covid first started happening, went into store for assistance and was told to leave the store because I am physically unable to wear a mask. Was even told to leave the parking lot.
  • Phone/App Lies
  1. See #6 Above. Rep said she was honoring the offer since it was promised. Said it would arrive next day as well. One week later, I call in, no order to be found, anywhere. No one will honor previous offer. Was forced to pay for it.
  2. Was assured in-home device would provide 4G signal. It does not. I still never see a 4G LTE symbol.
  • Truths
  1. Was finally told a truth by them just two days ago. Turns out, the reason my signal is so bad is because their signal can’t penetrate the houses in my area; however, that doesn’t explain why I still don’t get a good signal going down the middle of town, specially since I ALWAYS had 4G before I switched from Verizon.

So, yeah, based on all of the above, I am switching to AT&T. Some how they are cheaper even without the ‘line on us’.