Have grandfathered Simple Choice Promo Plan cosidering switching to ONE

So I haven't been keeping up with changes in T-Mobile's plans, as I've had an old grandfathered plan (just one line)  I was happy with (and I've apparently been living under a rock...) But an upcoming trip to Mexico triggered me to check my international travel text 'n calling capabilities and I started comparing my plan and what I'm paying to the One plan.

I *believe* I have the old Simple Choice Promo (Unlimited?) plan for which I pay $100:

Unlimited 4G LTE smartphone data

Unlimited Talk & Text

Free video streaming with 3GB or higher data plan

Free music streaming on included services

Unused data rolls forward with 3GB or higher data plan

No annual service contracts or overages

Free overseas texting & roaming

Wi-Fi calling

Gogo in-flight benefits

Mobile hotspot

Unlimited Nationwide 4G LTE Data + 7 GB Smartphone Mobile HotSpotFree
Unlimited 4G LTE data on your smartphone while on our network, includes up to 7 GB of high-speed Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service. No overage fees. Recommended for streaming as much media and downloading as many apps as you want on our network. Detectable video typically streams at 480p; disable any time. On all T-Mobile plans, during congestion, the small fraction of customers using >50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization.

My question is, is the newish ONE plan, or even ONE plus or ONE plus international all of which would be cheaper than what I'm paying better than what I have or at least the same? Is there *any* advantage to sticking with my old plan, which seems expensive now. Factoring in that I'd like to have phone capability in Mexico and it seems as if I only have unlimited text and date there with my current plan, while calls cost me $0.20 a minute. If I'm not mistaken, even under the basic ONE plan calls/text/ are free and data is up to 5gb? Am I missing anything great in my old plan?

Thanks for any help!

14 replies

change your plan to a prepaid plan With t-mobile. I have the exact same plan that you currently have and I was also geandfathere’d into it. The only difference is I pay $40 a month plus $3 or $4 tax.

If you tether much at all, you may regret switching to T-Mobile ONE. The low-speed tethering is downright painful.

Really don't tether at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi there.

Just wanted to check in and see if you've decided to keep your current plan or if you wanted to make the switch? Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Userlevel 2

How much data do you use?

Looks like in the last few months I’ve used anywhere from 12G to 21G.

I haven’t decided yet. Can you tell me about any advantages the One plan might offer me?

Thanks.

Userlevel 2

I thought all TM  SC plans included free roaming in both Mexico and Canada.  Free calling  as well as text/data.    Ours does.

Doesn't TM One line give unlim data for less than $100?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

There are quite a few advantages of the T-Mobile ONE™ for Phones listed in that link but some of the biggest things in my opinion is how Netflix is set up for the One plans and how taxes and fees are included already.

If you have simple choice but are paying $100 for one line I would seriously consider moving to tmo one with a plus package. Should save you 20 a month and will do everything simple choice will do except for Napster radio. Tmo one plus will stream full speed data and have 10gb Hotspot. After that the Hotspot will work 3g. For one line you will not get Netflix. Also data and calling in Mexico will be improved. I think the reason to keep simple choice unlimited is when one has 3 or 4 lines for 100.  That's what I have and it seems to be a better deal to keep simple choice for me because of 4 lines  

Userlevel 2

as in the days of Dial-up painful...

Userlevel 4

oh wow.... i just now saw this post by chance, while i was seraching for something else.

$100 dollars for 1 simple choice line... how long were you under that rock? did you miss all the free lines T-mobile gave out a couple of years ago?????

I have the the 2 unlimited simple choice  (grandfathered) for $100.... but when they gave out 2 free lines here, and one free line there.... now i have 5 unlimited simple choice lines for $100 dollars. You need to always check to see whatever is going on new with a company, or you will be left behind.

I agreewith previous post, you definitely should look into thhe T-Mobile ONE Plan, im not a fan of the prepaid plans.... but that’s your decision to make.

based on your plan.... im guessing you were under that rock since 2013

well anyway.... you have room to save approximately $30 bucks depending on your new plan.... and if you want that extra Data of hotspot tethering.....without losing any key features. I wish i would of seen this post a month ago.... there were features for cheap available.....i would have told you to get the Tmobile ONE Plan for $70 and add the ONE Plus international feature that cost $25 additional and that gave you unlimited calling, unlimited text, true unlimited hotspot tethering (there were no limits) and you were able to call and text (Stateside International Calling) around the world. and was able to get the highest data speeds in other countries.... and your bill would of been $95 dollars.... but the Tmobile One Plus international Plan ended recently, it was discontinued. But there is still the One Plus Plan for $15 extra.... thats a great plan too....

MY RECOMMENDATION

====================

Tmobile One (2 lines)

and add the ONE Plus service to one of your lines ....look into doing that....  my advice.

Then you would get NETFLIX included in your plan and taxes and fees will also be included in your plan cost.

im not 100% sure.... but i dont think taxes and fees are included with the T-Mobile ONE Plan if you only get 1 line.... so i would get 2 lines (if i were you),

i also have been trying to compare old plans with newer ones based on mexico connectivity.  It seems as if the old simple choice plan gives more options than newer plans for mexico.  That is my immediate understanding because on the newer plans it delineates between phone calls and texts [and possibly other data usage] when you are abroad and gets into details regarding where /which country you are in and which country you are calling to.  the older plan i believe give you everything calls and texts both to and abroad and when you are abroad. i am keeping my old plan prepaid because i like the international feature and i dont trust that i would get the same benefits on new phones.  i am worried because i got a new smart phone and i only have 2gb of data but i figure i will just have to be very careful and or use my wifi when i am at home if i go on the phone.

There are quite a few advantages of the T-Mobile ONE™️ for Phones listed in that link but some of the biggest things in my opinion is how Netflix is set up for the One plans and how taxes and fees are included already.

never switch to any NEW plan of Tmobile, they only want you to pay more, and lose grandfather benefits.  Dont do it!