Question

how can I turn off everything of child's phone except for call and text?

• 6 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Need to turn off everything on son’s iphone except for call and text.  How can I do this?  He has figured out how to override Screen Time limits.

5 replies

Family mode and allowance does not work. Please stop promoting crap features. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Doesn’t iMessage require data to send and receive messages as well?  

The absolute easiest way to stop the data: Log in to T-Mobile.com, select his line, choose Manage Data and Add-Ons, then change his data feature to “No Data”.  You can change this back at any time if you wish.

Hope this helps!

When I try to do this, I get a message that I turn off his cellular data plan, that plan is no longer available and can’t be turned back on. So it sounds like I’d have to switch him to a new plan to do this which sounds complicated.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

T-Mobile offers a Talk and Text only plan that does not include data at all, but if you have Wi-Fi in the home, he’ll still be able to use it.  

Family Mode does allow you to control data usage, but again- access to Wi-Fi means he’ll still be able to get online.  There is an additional Family Mode Home Base that you can connect to your router and control his access to the Wi-Fi. 

Alternatively, and I’m sure other ISPs offer a similar service, but the Comcast XFinity app allows you to view all devices connected to your home internet gateway and you can *pause* the data to that device, which is much easier than changing the Wi-Fi password.

The absolute easiest way to stop the data: Log in to T-Mobile.com, select his line, choose Manage Data and Add-Ons, then change his data feature to “No Data”.  You can change this back at any time if you wish.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can try Family Allowances but if he’s that smart he’ll probably figure out a work a round since you can’t shut off the Wifi of the phone.

Easiest way would be to take the phone away and give him a basic phone to use.