Question

How do I access my child's text messages?

• 6 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I need to access my child’s text messages.

This is an urgent matter because of the school contacting me about suicide discussions she’s had with friends. A concerned parent of one of my daughter’s friends contacted her school, and the school psychologist contacted me. Please help ASAP. Thank you.

A Very Concerned And Worried Dad.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Only way is to look at his phone.

Badge

That’s not how I want to go about it. I need to tread carefully here so that I don’t alarm her. I know T-Mobile keeps records like this, and I need to access them ASAP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try talking to your child!  T-Mobile can only disclose and provide those messages to law enforcement, if law enforcement provide a warrant to T-Mobile requesting them.  

Badge

Try talking to my child? Don’t you think I’ve already done that?🙄

Here’s a little background on me: I’m a disabled Veteran who’s been a “stay-at-home” Dad from day one of my daughter’s life. I’m the one who cared for her as an infant, feeding her, clothing her, reading to her, playing games with her, walking her to and from school every single day (from kindergarten to 5th grade)—all the things a good Dad can and should do.

As for my daughter, she’s our only child (my wife suffered a miscarriage and we lost our son) but she’s everything to me. She’s a beautiful young girl (she’s 13 now), very intelligent and creative, loves music, she’s learning another language, and she’s an incredibly gifted artist. She loves to play Minecraft, Overwatch, and other video games. She’s well-liked by her friends, who have all been friends since the first grade of school. My wife and I have always given her everything she’s needed or wanted (within reason), so she’s never lacked material things, etc. She’s a good kid, and I’ve never known her to be dishonest about anything.

I don’t feel I need to divulge anything more here than I have, nor do I need to justify myself to any of you. I came here looking for help, but so far, I’m getting nowhere.

I think I’ll just call T-Mobile today and discuss this. To those who’ve done so, thanks for your input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you for your service!  I wasn’t implying that the way your child feels had/has anything to do with you.  This is a peer support forum.  Unfortunately, calling T-Mobile won’t change the fact that this isn’t something they can do and that fact applies to all carriers.  Have an awesome day!

Here’s a little background on me: I’m a disabled Veteran who’s been a “stay-at-home” Dad from day one of my daughter’s life. I’m the one who cared for her as an infant, feeding her, clothing her, reading to her, playing games with her, walking her to and from school every single day (from kindergarten to 5th grade)—all the things a good Dad can and should do.

As for my daughter, she’s our only child (my wife suffered a miscarriage and we lost our son) but she’s everything to me. She’s a beautiful young girl (she’s 13 now), very intelligent and creative, loves music, she’s learning another language, and she’s an incredibly gifted artist. She loves to play Minecraft, Overwatch, and other video games. She’s well-liked by her friends, who have all been friends since the first grade of school. My wife and I have always given her everything she’s needed or wanted (within reason), so she’s never lacked material things, etc. She’s a good kid, and I’ve never known her to be dishonest about anything.

I don’t feel I need to divulge anything more here than I have, nor do I need to justify myself to any of you. I came here looking for help, but so far, I’m getting nowhere.

I think I’ll just call T-Mobile today and discuss this. To those who’ve done so, thanks for your input.

So sorry about all of this dealing with children can be very hard especially in this situation. And these new aged technology only makes it harder. I hope everything worked out and she doing much better. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you for your service!  I wasn’t implying that the way your child feels had/has anything to do with you.  This is a peer support forum.  Unfortunately, calling T-Mobile won’t change the fact that this isn’t something they can do and that fact applies to all carriers.  Have an awesome day!

am I glad your not an employee lol lol youre telling him thanks for his service but your not even getting paid 😃 definitely epic FAIL. youre lame!!!!! get a life

There is nothing wrong with showing a bit of respect for those who chose and choose to serve their country.  You don't need to have a job in customer service to appreciate people.  

Thank you for your service sir! Were you ever able to access her text messages via Tmobile? I would assume that you're the primary account holder. If this is true then I would think Tmobile could've provided the information to you without the need of any law enforcement or court orders etc...

Now I also would assume that your request doesn't happen often and the customer representative probably wouldn't be able to help you and then a manager would have to get involved. They too would probably use the LEO, court order excuse to not have to spend their time getting you the information 

Your best bet in a situation like this was to gather all necessary documents like driver's license etc and go to the Tmobile store and speak with them there. I'm sure in person and explaining your situation they would've helped you. 

I'm praying your daughter is alive and healthy and what happened was just a lapse of judgment and the whole thing is in past!