Question

how to rename connected devices?

• 31 December 2020
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there a way to rename the devices that are connected to my 4g LTE home wifi? I'd like to know my playstation from my phone or tv so I know which to disconnect.

14 replies

Userlevel 3

would like an update on this as well.  Renaming devices should be SOP.  Shouldnt have to memorize mac addresses so i know what is connected to my network

I also want this. 

Badge

I asked TMobile about this. The reply was at this time there isn’t a way. Just a suggestion…. I went through and unplugged all 14 devices then one at a time plugged them back in all the while writing down ip address and putting name to address. It wasn’t that time consuming and while not the best solution at least I have the paper with the devices labeled.

Userlevel 2
Badge

We all need to petition T-mobile to make the option available to their Wifi home internet Gateway . This option is available on a lot of other modems lets let T-mobile know how unhappy there customers are and that they are very disappointed with not having this feature . I know it wouldn't be hard to install this feature with an update to their Gateway .👌🏾👌🏾😁😁😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you could always contact the manufacturer and ask them if there is a way to do this or not..TMO might use their equipment however they did not build or create it.. probably better to go direct to the source.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes but they install the program or the UI  to make the gate way run

I’d like the same feature added as well as the ability to have a device icon. like a light bulb for a light 

Is there a way to rename the devices that are connected to my 4g LTE home wifi? I'd like to know my playstation from my phone or tv so I know which to disconnect.

I’d like to have this feature as well. 

I would like this ability too.

Badge

NEED this very basic device custom naming feature that nearly all routers have had for years. I have over 40 devices connected to our Gateway. Half show up with odd names which has become a very serious issue for us. As of 2022-02-27 T-Mobile says there is still not a way to do this. UGH!

I asked TMobile about this. The reply was at this time there isn’t a way. Just a suggestion…. I went through and unplugged all 14 devices then one at a time plugged them back in all the while writing down ip address and putting name to address. It wasn’t that time consuming and while not the best solution at least I have the paper with the devices labeled.

I have 11 devices connected and did the same exact thing. It definitely wasn’t time consuming and much quickly with my son’s assistance but I want to be able to personalize each device for my own reasons.

I just got my gateway yesterday & that was the first thing I tried to do...no luck. I have multiple Amazon devices & it's so hard to keep track of it all. I did start to note them as I added devices because I realized with the first few I couldn't rename them, but it would be super helpful if that option was available. Kind of a disappointment considering T Mobile is such a large technology company. 

Badge

Should be and easy code fix in the app and much needed. T-Mobile home internet is the first router I have seen that does not the the option to name the connected devices.

I am in the same boat as the rest, but sometimes you can rename the device itself and that is how it will show up on the wifi.