Solved

How to stop constant text scrolling in upper left of screen?

• 26 May 2020
  • 6 replies

On my iPhone 8, in the upper left of the screen, between the bars and the wi-fi symbols, the words T-Mobile Wi-Fi scroll constantly. It's distracting!

I waited over 90 minutes in chat support for the agent to tell me to turn the wi-fi off, which is like telling me to treat my foot pain by cutting off my foot. It solves the problem, sure, but is not an optimal solution. Then I was asked to call Support, who told me to do a "master reset" of my phone. I don't see how that would help.

How do I make it stop?

Here's a screen recording. Keep your eye on the upper left:

VIDEO

icon

Best answer by tidbits 26 May 2020, 09:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Root is the only way I am aware of to change the provider text.  It does that to tell you that you are using WiFi Calling. 

syaoran wrote:

Root is the only way I am aware of to change the provider text. It does that to tell you that you are using WiFi Calling.

How do I root? Alternately, how do I turn off wi-fi calling? I rarely make phone calls, so I wasn't even aware I had this feature. Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

patriciaquinn wrote:

syaoran wrote:

Root is the only way I am aware of to change the provider text. It does that to tell you that you are using WiFi Calling.

How do I root? Alternately, how do I turn off wi-fi calling? I rarely make phone calls, so I wasn't even aware I had this feature. Thanks.

Wi-Fi Calling & Privacy - Apple Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

iPhone's can't be rooted but there is a jail break for them.  Whether or not that allows you to change the provider text, I have no idea.  Rooting and jail breaking devices is not something I would recommend doing unless there is a really good reason to.  Developers usually root devices to help them modify OS functions for customization and to enable features that weren't originally available on the device. 

Turning off wi-fi calling did the trick! Thanks! (Still don't know what "rooting" is, but my issue is resolved.)

I cannot turn wi-fi off. I cannot receive cell phone service in my area without it. I don’t have an I-phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.  This message just starting showing up with the last update. How do I stop it? It only runs until I swipe my screen to access the phone. It looks like someone is hacking my phone. If I cannot stop it myself, who do I contact to tell them to stop it?