Solved

I bought an unlocked phone from Best Buy in 2017, but noticed now that the device is locked with t-mobile. How do I get it unlocked?

• 13 January 2020
  • 9 replies

I bought an unlocked phone from Best Buy in 2017, but noticed now that the device is locked with t-mobile. How do I get it unlocked?

Reached customer care, they took the details and mentioned that I'd receive the ticket number in email... it happened three times. I went to t-mobile location, they couldn't help!

It's been 8 days since I first reached out to t-mobile, nothing happened so far. I paid to Best Buy for the phone, I am using a different service provider, how T-mobile gets to lock my mobile?

😠 😠 😠 😠

icon

Best answer by gramps28 13 January 2020, 14:08

View original

9 replies

Thanks!  As you mentioned Best Buy said that after 90 days T-Mobile will be able to unlock the iPhone.  But I do not want to take that chance and will return the phone back to Best Buy and buy directly from Apple. The Apple sold phones are permanently “unlocked” and can be switched to carriers multiple times without being enslaved to the carriers! Sadly, I will have to wait until 3+ weeks for the iPhone to be delivered.

Was T-Mobile able to unlock it eventually? I have the same issue - bought iPhone 13 Pro Max from Best Buy. And it is now Sim locked with T-Mobile. Contacted T-Mobile, Best Buy, Apple support. But no one is able to help unlock!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

how long has it been on an active account through TMO?

Account active over 7 years. Phone active on the account over 10 days. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Unlock eligibility requirements

We unlock mobile devices that meet the following eligibility criteria free of charge.

Device eligibility is determined as follows:

• The device must be sold by T-Mobile.
  • The device must not be reported as lost, stolen or blocked.
  • The account associated with the device must be in good standing.
  • The device must also satisfy all the Postpaid or Prepaid unlocking requirements outlined below.

Unlock eligibility for mobile devices on Postpaid plans

• The device must have been active on the T‑Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
  • If the device was financed or leased through T‑Mobile then all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full.
  • If the device is associated with a canceled account, then the account balance must be zero.
  • T‑Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Unlock eligibility for mobile devices on Prepaid plans

• At least  365 days  must have passed since the device was activated on the T Mobile network.
  • If the device was activated less than 365 days ago, then the   Prepaid account associated with the device must have had more than $100 in refills during that period for each line active on the account.  In   addition, more than 14 days must have passed since the device was purchased.
  • No more than 2 mobile device unlocks have been complete per line of service in the last 12 months.
  • T‑Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Thanks!  That was very helpful! 

So anyone who buys an iPhone (at full price) from Best Buy (or any 3rd party) will be stuck with a locked iPhone forever? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

it’ll lock to whichever carrier you stick it on. and once you are past whatever amount of days that carrier must have then it can be unlocked after that. Sprint i think was 30 days..not sure what ATT or V have it set up as though. if i were go guess they would be between the 30 and 50 day window.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Welcome to Apples stupid 3rd part reseller program.Since it's an iPhone bought from a 3rd party reseller it was sold as unlocked but once a sim was

put into the phone it becomes locked to that carrier.

Best bet is to reach out to Tmobile using messenger on Tmobile's social media pages.

Thanks for the reply, I have just reached out to them via social media, hoping to get it solved.