Solved

I have 4 lines on a grandfathered Simple Choice North America 10GB plan. What happens if I remove a line?

It's been so long since we first signed up with this plan but from what I remember, we had to have at least 4 lines to get the pricing that we did. It's currently 4 lines for $120 (around $145 after taxes and fees). I personally am now looking to leave my family's plan and switch to my husband's plan but I'd like to know if my leaving would cause issues with my family keeping the grandfathered plan. I have seen that customers can still add lines to grandfathered plans but I don't know what happens when you remove a line.

I plan on going to a physical store to talk with a representative but I also would like to get some information here.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by tams118 11 March 2019, 21:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Removing one line shouldn't be an issue.  However, they will not be able to add any new lines to their grandfathered plan. 

FYI I have not confirmed whether removing one line will be an issue but in regards to your second sentence, T-Mobile confirms in their FAQs that current Simple Choice multi-line customers can add lines and change their data amounts with no issues. The FAQs doesn't clearly state whether removal of a line is an allowable "update" to the plan so I brought the question here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You will keep your plan however if you go to a single line then you will have to pick one of the current plans because the single line plans are no longer offered(as well as family plans).  You will lose any promotional plans if you need a certain numbers.  Since simple choice is no longer offered then you will have to select one of the newer plans.

Userlevel 4

Some of the previous replies to your post by forum members have stated removing the line will not cause a problem, they are absolutely wrong.

4 Lines for $120 dollars is indeed a promotional deal that has been ”grandfathered”.  i would have to search for the exact plan you are on to give a more accurate synopsis, but im assuming it was either 3 lines get 1 free or 2 lines get 2 free ultimately costing $120 plus taxes and fees.

So, if you remove a line, t-mobile will more than likely remove the “free line” and your plan then will be 3 lines for $120 dollars plus taxes and fees.... because you will have removed the “Free Line”.

I would suggest to just start a line on your husbands plan or stay on the plan you already have. You can leave your family’s plan... but don’t break up the 4 line combo or the line you move will vanish and cause those 3 remaining lines to cost as much as $65 each (3 x $65) totalling $195 plus taxes and fees.

Your family will be really disappointed if their 4 lines for $120 dollars morphed into 3 lines for $195 dollars.

Don’t trust T-Mobile reps... because they may tell you nothing will change... until your family notice their monthly bill go up by $75 dollars. And once the line is removed, it will be practically be impossible to add it back.

Lastly, don’t believe everything a salesman says.... if a T-Mobile rep says its not going to affect the Family Account in anyway.... have them put it in writing, and have them sign it. And even then, there may be no way to add the line back even if a salesman knowingly lie to you... or if a salesman mistakenly lie to you.

have a great day.

Thanks!

I believe we've had the same plan for 10+ years so it's very difficult to know what promo deal we got at the time.

I don't plan on breaking off from my family's plan until May so I have time to do research on this and talk to some T-Mobile reps. FYI, I have experienced what you are talking about - when I did the promo deal to get an iPhone 7 a couple years back, the reps who sold me on the deal did not tell me I had to upgrade to T-Mobile ONE and I didn't know until I checked my online account. The promo when I signed up for it did not specify this and the promo was changed to include this information after I already signed up for it. T-Mobile admitted fault and changed our plan back to the grandfathered plan due to our 10+ year loyalty. Now we're coming up on 20 years of loyalty so I believe if they tell me wrong, I can get the plan back. But yes, I do plan on getting information in writing to ensure I have evidence of what was told to me. I also plan on checking the online account right after making any changes to make sure the grandfathered plan is still there.

Thanks!

I spoke with a T-Mobile representative who said that if I was to remove myself from the line, the plan itself would not be affected. The price would stay the same so it would be 3 lines for $120. She said no changes would happen unless my family decided to do something that would change the plan.

I am still going to do research into what the best plan is for my family if I leave but my original question has been answered. I will leave this here for anyone who comes across the same question.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Userlevel 4

4 lines for $120 ($30 per line)

vs

3 lines for $120 ($40 per line)

your family will be losing $30 extra a month once you remove your line, each of the remaining 3 lines will have to pay $10 extra a month just because of you removing your line. I would urge you to just get the new line with your husband, and allow your family to just have an extra line on their account. In a year or two, im sure they will find a use for it, maybe a cousin or uncle may move in and ”need a phone”...

I just think its a waste to remove a free line but still be required to pay for a new service elsewhere under a different plan. But, thats just my worthless opinion. I’m nobody special, people never listen to me anyhow.

and the cost of you adding your line to your husband’s account will be how much?

i personally don’t believe salesman (if their lips are moving their lying) 😜

but it is great you were able to get your plan back after it was changed previously.

please keep this forum posted on your decision...

If my wife were in your shoes... i would tell her to leave her family’s line alone and get added to my account. Your number won’t get transfered over... but a FREE $30 A MONTH LINE won’t get thrown in the garbage.

I appreciate you describing the cons of removing my line but as I stated before, my original question has been answered and I am exploring the options for my family. Your opinion may work for some but "worthless" as you say to my own situation that you're making a lot of assumptions about. My family has no extra family or friends who do not have their own current plan with their own families. Losing my phone number is NOT an option as it is attached to all of my accounts and all of my records. Changing my number would be more hassle than it's worth and I'm sure a lot of people feel that way than not.

At this point, I am exploring the option of having my sister either get her own plan or join me on my plan and have my parents go on the senior plan which would reduce the amount they spend by almost half. Being on a plan with my husband will be $45 per line but I will at least be on Verizon's network, which in my case is well worth it as T-Mobile's signal is low where I work and live.

Again, my question has been answered by a T-Mobile rep (and I have it documented) but the rest (that was not part of the question) will be discussed with my family to decide what is best.

Badge

Same thing happen to us. We had 6 lines for $120. We just removed one line few months ago but the price remains the same. So it get more expensive as 5 lines for the same $120. Actually, if you check T-Mobile’s Business website, there is still the Simple Choice Plan with the original pricing. It clear states $110 for 5 lines. But they didn’t reduce the price for us.