Question

I was promised a third line for free and didn't receive it.

• 16 October 2021
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. I joined T-Mobile last week with my family on a Magenta® MAX 55+ program. Among the various conditions that we were offered, we were told that if we move with three lines, the third line will be free, and that our monthly bill will be $90. After two days I received my first bill for $135, charging me for the third line. I was sure that it was a mistake, and called to ask T-Mobile to fix it. But I was told that they are “sorry” and that I am “ineligible for the promotion”. I asked to speak with a supervisor that apologized for the “miscommunication” but said that she could not help.

Do other people have an experience of being mislead when joining T-Mobile? If so, did you get it resolve? What’s a good way to deal with this.

Thanks. 

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've haven't seen that promotion but try contacting Tmobile support using messenger on one of tmobile's social media platforms to see if they can help you they also are a higher tier of support.

Userlevel 1

I have a similar issue with phone trade ins and free lines. Been trying to resolve since I signed up in June. Still being billed incorrectly/ Not sure what to do next. Will try contacting corporate and will file a complaint for false advertising with the FCC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Promotions can sometimes take up to 2 months to take effect on an account.  Your first bill will always be higher because of any extra fees and being prorated until the first full month plus the first month.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I've haven't seen that promotion ...

Appears to be one of those unadvertised promotions that will be hard to prove it exists:

https://www.tmonews.com/2021/08/t-mobile-offering-3rd-line-free-promotion-customers

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/t-mobile-latest-promotion-includes-192857752.html

Sprint’s 3rd line promotion even mentions that the T-Mobile network is not included:

https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/free-line-on-us.html

Since we have combined into one company, “The New T-Mobile" we are putting out great offer after great offer. T-Mobile currently has such amazing handset offers, that we aren’t available to offer this free line promotion right now. As always, stay tuned for more great offers on the T-Mobile network.

I could go on and on about how I was mislead by TMobile.  Long story short, we switched from sprint to T-Mobile on the magenta max program.  Was told I could trade in my iPhone X for $800 toward new phone.  I picked the regular 12, now I’m charged every month for the 12 and they say that phone wasn’t eligible for the $800. A they got my iPhone X and I got nothing out of it.  Going to the store tomorrow because chat and phone customer service are no help.

They have done the same with me, I had an account with 3rd line free promo and then I transferred my account to the magenta plus 55 plus plan under my dad's name. I was assured by their agents that if I transfer the ownership all the discounts and promos will also be applied to the new dad's account which includes the "3rd line free" promo I already had. After the ownership change Tmobile refuses to admit and take responsibility of the promises their agents made which basically means their agents has been lying to their customers for business. Supervisors has also been unable to help and mentions this issue has been escalated.

Their customer service which once was great has been very incompetent lately. 

This “miscommunication” seems to be a trend with T-Mobile.  I have had my new service and phone for a total of 3 days now and I am not happy with their bait and switch tactics.  I wish now that I would have had the manager of the store where I bought my iphone write down on a piece of paper how much my monthly service would be because I just received my first bill and it is $10 more per month than I was quoted.

Interesting, too that in their customer satisfaction survey they ask if the fees and charges were explained well.  I said yes and sent the survey in.  I want to take that back now. 

I just switched/migrated over from Sprint 55+ plan and was told about the Magenta Max plan with a third line for free. I received a bill for $256+ and when I called they said I was quoted about the essential plan which was a complete lie. They kept trying to get me to just take the essential plan if I wanted a lower bill. This is the typical Bait and Switch tactics T-Mobile has been doing for years. I am filing a complaint with the FCC because why would someone go from a good plan to inferior plan and pay for something promised such as the third line. I had my son and daughter who also heard the guy state the third line was free. 
www.fcc.gov

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I had my son and daughter who also heard the guy state the third line was free. 

As they say, get everything in writing.  Heresay will be hard to prove.

They did the same thing to me! Promised me $47/line with 3rd line free with Magenta Max. They always say my bill will be updated within 24 hours.. several customer support agents and a month later I’m still being charged over $300. It’s ridiculous! And I also tried the $800 trade in for the iPhone 13 Pro Max but they’re showing my iPhone 11 (which I just got last year) is only worth $200. I wish I never switched to T-Mobile. They’re all liars! Each customer support person I talk to gives me a different answer and they all promise whatever they want whenever they want. And if you show the next agent screenshots of it, they’ll just say “Oh sorry about the miscommunication with our other agent but we’re unable to honor that promotion” 

Then WHY DO YOU HAVE IT ADVERTISED??? One simple google will show you $47/line with 3rd line free!

I was told my third line would be free and my bill would be $120 per month. The receipt that was given to me with my trade ins and upgrades was all wrong and when I inquired the sales lady told me “I know it’s confusing but I had to do it that way in order for you to get the monthly credits”. Lies!! Just got my bill and it’s much higher. And the third line isn’t free. So I have no recourse. These guys are crooks. 

I am having the same issue I was promise $800 for my phone some will go towards my new phone and some will be directed to my bill. They didn’t credit me correctly. I was also told that my three lines would be $140 which I was reluctant to do since I was grandfather into an old deal for $140 for three unlimited lines. I was convince since it was the same price and the sales associate called someone that assure him I would get the deal. Now I am being charge $185 for the lines and when I went back in he told me there was nothing they can do when he called. This is also not the first time that this has happen to me as they did the same when I got my Iphone 11 two years ago and I had to call to argue with them in order to corrected and be credited.

I have been a customer for 10 months and I recently added 3 new lines. I was told that the 3rd line would be free. When you go on there website it shows that it is 160 per month for 4 lines on magenta. That means that it’s $40 per line. I was under the impression that my bill should be 120 because 160-40= 120 but according to them I need to pay 140. Which only gives a $20 discount. They say that the deal is that they are giving you 4 lines for the price of 3 ($140) to skip out on that extra $20. Customers would actually get a larger discount if they went by the price they show online and subtract the value of the line from that.it’s just frustrating because how would a customer know that based on info given on the website. On top of that when I inquired about the lines they didn’t even explain it correctly. I still don’t understand how they calculate the cost of each line but I think they decrease each line a different amount as you add more lines. So if they make the last line $20 they can give it to you for “ free” which makes it seem like they honored the promotion but in reality they owe you some more money. That has to be the only way that a line on a $160  4-line plan is actually only worth $20. They decided to give me some credit but that’s after going back n forth for so long and demanding that I be compensated. I am still unsatisfied with what they gave me but I went ahead and accepted it cuz I was tired of arguing. I had another issue because I was trying to upgrade and use promo for iPhone 13. A rep told me that I wouldn’t have to pay anything to get the promo and  to upgrade  and that they would give me $400 credit. Well that turned out to be a lie because in order to upgrade and get the promo you’d have to pay off your previous phone. So this ordeal turned into a 3 day argument because they didn’t want to honor what the rep told me at first. Mind you, I had to speak with 3 different people before the truth was actually unveiled. While talking to those people and using the T mobile website I was given FOUR DIFFERENT AMOUNTS I would have to pay in order to get the promo. I understand they have policies but if those policies are misleading then they need to correct it.And if employees don’t do their job correctly then they should have no problem adequately compensating the customer and honoring the agreement made. It sucks because metro , and sprint are now apart of T-Mobile. I originally wanted an account with sprint but was automatically enrolled with t mobile so it’s kind of like we’re trapped. There’s not many good options for phone services now. Verizon is way too expensive   and other services aren’t well known so I guess T-Mobile can treat customers however they want. I like the actual phone service and some of the perks T-Mobile has but their customer service needs to get it together.

After being with Sprint since 1996 I was very reluctant to change but they made it seem like we had no option. Since day one I have bought or paid my phone off in advance with each upgrade. I have never financed a phone. They had been sending me emails and advertising for months that I would get a free 12 or 13 with an upgrade on at least one of my lines. I opted for the 12. The salesperson transferred everything over and when I checked my phone I noticed all of my apps and data weren’t downloading and a warning message popped up that I was almost out of storage. I addressed the issue with her and I was informed she had upgraded my I8 128gb for a I12 64gb even though there are two options with that phone. She told me I would have to return and upgrade to a I13 and pay more money in order to get 128gb. So manipulative! Why would I want to upgrade from a 128 to a 64?  Oh and btw the 3rd line isn’t actually free so your bill will be higher than what they tell you guaranteed! And no free Hulu and free Netflix is only for basic 1 screen. 

Same exact thing happened to us a few years ago, unfortunate that this is still going on.

Hi.  I’m in the middle of a dispute regarding the third line free.  They make it look like they need a supervisor approval to do the adjustment.  Promises to call back and they never did.  
I hope some attorneys can get their hands on this.  

Hi. I joined T-Mobile last week with my family on a Magenta® MAX 55+ program. Among the various conditions that we were offered, we were told that if we move with three lines, the third line will be free, and that our monthly bill will be $90. After two days I received my first bill for $135, charging me for the third line. I was sure that it was a mistake, and called to ask T-Mobile to fix it. But I was told that they are “sorry” and that I am “ineligible for the promotion”. I asked to speak with a supervisor that apologized for the “miscommunication” but said that she could not help.

Do other people have an experience of being mislead when joining T-Mobile? If so, did you get it resolve? What’s a good way to deal with this.

Thanks. 

Good luck with that.  I’ve been with T-Mobile for over 10 years and I recently spent about 8 months having to call them each month to credit my account for the “Free Line”.  It started when I received several texts telling me I was eligible for a free line.  When I went to the store I was told being on the Military Plan I wasn’t eligible however, the manager called customer service who agreed they made a mistake with the text so they would honor the “free line”.  Each month I went rounds with them, they read the notes and would give me a credit.  Last month I finally just told them to stick the “free line” in their ear, I was done making the monthly calls because my time is worth more and I’m tired of the hassle.  I also recently canceled a $20 tablet data plan because they couldn’t honor the $50 a month ($5 auto pay discount) for home internet I purchased for my daughter’s house at college. They said I could only have a max of $40 discount on the auto pay.  (I have family members on my plan and had a total of 9 devices).  So instead of giving me the $5 discount, I dropped the tablet and they lost $25 per month income…  I have loved T-Mobile, they have saved me a bundle through the years however, things have changed and they are started to become like Sprint with how they handle the plans and they phone deals.  I’d file a complaint with the FCC and keep harassing T-Mobile for a credit.

Having the same problem sign up for 2 line 3 rd free and the customers support said they fix they did not. liars they are. tomorriw going to cancel my whole package i have not received my new phone because they are back order till 2/8/22  it not the store it the main office that won;t honor what is on the promotion list 

Thanks. 

Same thing just happened to me this week. Promised a free line at the Store on Magenta Max 55+  and I called to confirm, since I had no documentation other than the salesperson word. Customer care said I was ineligible with the Max 55+ - they have offered to move me to just Magenta Max, but not sure how beneficial that is. I am going to make final decision next week. Because of the 55+ existing discount structure they will not honor the word of the store salesperson!!

We just migrated from Sprint to T-mobile on December 6th, 2021. We were told Magenta 55 Max would be $90 a month third line would be free. We were only upgrading my 7 plus phone due to 5G then assistant manager Gentry told my husband he and my son should up grade from 11 to 13 Pro as well because it’s free to do so. Now the second bill has come and we’re over $191 a month way higher then when we were with Sprint. We had all phones paid off now we’re being charged for phones and a line that we’re all suppose to be free. This company is a complete SCAM ! Lots of lip service and nothing seems to be given in writing. 
extremely unhappy I’m contacting NY attorney general office. 

Yup same thing happened to me, I added a third line and the rep said the third line will be free and the couple of months later they charged me the 3rd line, I contacted T-Mobile and they said the 3rd line was never free and instead it was a temporary  discounted. I even had screen shot of the conversation with the person that gave me the 3rd line for free to show them proof and they still said they couldn’t do anything about it. 

I had the exact same issue.

I was told that I could get 3 lines for $90/mo on the 55+ plan using the 3rd line free offer.  They suggested we all 3 come in at the same time to sign up and bring our phones so they could be switched over.

Came back together and found the store unexpectedly closed (not too surprising during times of covid).  Drove a short distance to another store which also offered the same discount, so we signed up.

After the 1st bill had multiple issues including improper credit for phone exchange and the failure to apply 3rd line free I made a couple of phone calls to clear these issues up.  I was told all issues including 3rd line free would be cleared up by my next bill. 

All issues except 3rd line free were cleared up on the next bill.  I called to try to clear up that last issue and I was there was no 3rd line free offer on 55+.  

Let me start by saying that T Mobile has the most deceptive business practice I have ever seen.  We are currently in a dispute with them over a Galaxy watch which was to be “free”  Ha Ha!  At the time we purchased our new phones in Dec. 2021, the so-called “expert” presents me with a watch.  Never did he say that it would add a 3rd line to our bill.  I did not want the watch, but I thought I would give it a try.  The watch worked for one week and quit so we went to the T Mobile store to return it.  We were told to keep the watch because “’they” did not want it!  We were within the 14 day return policy.  We went back to the store on day 14 to return the watch and were told again to keep it!  T Mobile never offered to give us a different watch.  We want to drop T Mobile service, but now (after many phone calls to 611) we are being told we have to pay $300 for the watch we tried twice to return!  To make this story short, they have deceived us since day 1 with saying my phone was paid for and in reality all we paid for that day were the activation fees and taxes.  T Mobile put my phone on a payment plan without our knowledge which was why our bill is higher that we were quoted.  We are slowly getting this worked through with multiple phone calls to 611 and hopefully this nightmare will end soon!  The so-called “experts” are nothing but sales people who offer no help at all!  Our salesperson did nothing buy dance and bop around while waiting on us when he should have been informing us on our transactions!  Buyer beware of their deceptive practices and steer clear of T Mobile!

Thanks. 

I just had to cancel my third line because they did that exact same thing to me, I had to call in every month where they apologized and just credited my account for the cost of the line and never actually fixed everything. then I called in today where they told me that the promotion in the past never existed (even though they offered me the free line I didn’t even ask for it) then I was just done with all the BS and cancelled the line. This is like the 3rd time a T-Mobile employee offered me something that would be 100% free and then my bill came around and I'm being charged line normal, that 2 month wait some one said earlier is wrong because I’ve been waiting since last October, it seems the employees are not well enough trained to actually understand there promotions and offer them to customers and basically are lying about what the offer is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi. I joined T-Mobile last week with my family on a Magenta®️ MAX 55+ program. Among the various conditions that we were offered, we were told that if we move with three lines, the third line will be free, and that our monthly bill will be $90. After two days I received my first bill for $135, charging me for the third line. I was sure that it was a mistake, and called to ask T-Mobile to fix it. But I was told that they are “sorry” and that I am “ineligible for the promotion”. I asked to speak with a supervisor that apologized for the “miscommunication” but said that she could not help.

Thanks. 

I just had to cancel my third line because they did that exact same thing to me, I had to call in every month where they apologized and just credited my account for the cost of the line and never actually fixed everything. then I called in today where they told me that the promotion in the past never existed (even though they offered me the free line I didn’t even ask for it) then I was just done with all the BS and cancelled the line. This is like the 3rd time a T-Mobile employee offered me something that would be 100% free and then my bill came around and I'm being charged line normal, that 2 month wait some one said earlier is wrong because I’ve been waiting since last October, it seems the employees are not well enough trained to actually understand there promotions and offer them to customers and basically are lying about what the offer is.

actually he said “Promotions can sometimes take up to 2 months to take effect on an account.”