Question

I was promised a third line for free and didn't receive it.

• 16 October 2021
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. I joined T-Mobile last week with my family on a Magenta® MAX 55+ program. Among the various conditions that we were offered, we were told that if we move with three lines, the third line will be free, and that our monthly bill will be $90. After two days I received my first bill for $135, charging me for the third line. I was sure that it was a mistake, and called to ask T-Mobile to fix it. But I was told that they are “sorry” and that I am “ineligible for the promotion”. I asked to speak with a supervisor that apologized for the “miscommunication” but said that she could not help.

Do other people have an experience of being mislead when joining T-Mobile? If so, did you get it resolve? What’s a good way to deal with this.

Thanks. 

38 replies

Hi. I joined T-Mobile last week with my family on a Magenta®️ MAX 55+ program. Among the various conditions that we were offered, we were told that if we move with three lines, the third line will be free, and that our monthly bill will be $90. After two days I received my first bill for $135, charging me for the third line. I was sure that it was a mistake, and called to ask T-Mobile to fix it. But I was told that they are “sorry” and that I am “ineligible for the promotion”. I asked to speak with a supervisor that apologized for the “miscommunication” but said that she could not help.

Do other people have an experience of being mislead when joining T-Mobile? If so, did you get it resolve? What’s a good way to deal with this.

Thanks. 

I just had to cancel my third line because they did that exact same thing to me, I had to call in every month where they apologized and just credited my account for the cost of the line and never actually fixed everything. then I called in today where they told me that the promotion in the past never existed (even though they offered me the free line I didn’t even ask for it) then I was just done with all the BS and cancelled the line. This is like the 3rd time a T-Mobile employee offered me something that would be 100% free and then my bill came around and I'm being charged line normal, that 2 month wait some one said earlier is wrong because I’ve been waiting since last October, it seems the employees are not well enough trained to actually understand there promotions and offer them to customers and basically are lying about what the offer is.

actually he said “Promotions can sometimes take up to 2 months to take effect on an account.”

I never said he did not say that. You should never need to wait 2 months for it to “take affect”, if they tell you the promotion is 100% free on the new line then you pay nothing for that new line. If there is a wait “sometimes” then they should credit your account to cover those two months. Just like how I said above how they were crediting my account for 5 months.

I had the same problem..

Escalated the problem..

Promised it did be fixed..

Then nothing was done, eventually with lots of chain of commands excuses and apologizes,  I abandoned the lines and had then returned my monies👎

I, like several people here, have had the same problem of T-Mobile in store reps LYING. December 2021, We went in to get two lines on the Magenta 55+ plan, the two girls in the store told us we could get the 3rd line for free, so because of that offer we took and brought our daughter on the plan. She had an old Verizon plan that was well prices, but of course free is better! 

Our first bill came and there was a $40 charge for the 3rd line, so we called and they gave a credit told us it would be fixed. The second month comes, and it’s a $35 charge for the line, so call again and they credit us. The third bill comes and there’s ANOTHER charge for the 3rd line. We call 611 and that rep tells me that the promotion we were offered did not exist….OK well why was it sold to us if it doesn’t exist?!? He said that he found a different option and that he would get his manager’s approval and it would all be fixed. He would follow up with me to let me know it was done.  We thought it was done. NOPE! We get our next bill and there’s a charge for $40 again for the 3rd line! I call back and the person tells me that the approval for the promotion correction was denied. We never got a call back so we call and spoke with a manager and she said that since it was denied that there's nothing she can do. 

We filed a BBB complaint and unfortunately due to my granddaughters birth and complications I could not reply before the closed the complaint. 

Here was their response: 

To Whom It May Concern:

T-Mobile USA, Inc. (“T-Mobile”) is in receipt of your correspondence dated March 14, 2022, regarding the above-referenced account.  

T-Mobile regrets any concern Ms. *** has regarding T-Mobile's free line promotions.  Records reflect that on December 23, 2021, Ms. ***** activated three lines of service on the Magenta 55+ rate plan at a monthly cost of $80.00 for the first two lines of service and $40.00 for the third line of service.  As Ms. **** subscribes to AutoPay, she also receives a $5.00 per line credit each month, reducing her service cost to $105.00 including tax each month.

Between December 17, 2021, and January 5, 2022, T-Mobile ran the 2021 Line On Us P17 and the 2021 Line On Us P18 promotion where existing customers with three months of tenure (activated before September 17, 2021) who had two lines of service on the Magenta 55+ rate plan, could add two lines to their account and receive one at no cost, or with the later promotion, customers who had one line of service activated before September 17, 2021, could add two lines of service and receive one free.  Regrettably, as Ms. ****' account was not activated prior to before September 17, 2021, these promotions do not qualify.  

However, as a one-time courtesy, T-Mobile provided Ms. **** account with a grandfathered rate plan, the One Plan Unlimited 55+ at a monthly cost of $70.00 including tax before AutoPay, with the third line's monthly cost at $35.00 before AutoPay, reducing the monthly recurring charges to $90.00 including tax with the AutoPay discount.  We regret any inconvenience to Ms. ****.

Based upon the above, we respectfully request that this matter against T-Mobile be closed.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.  Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at 425-689-3435.

Very truly yours,
 T-MOBILE USA, INC. 
Juan Chavez
Executive Response

WE have now filed a complaint with the Attorney General of AZ. This is not OK to target elderly people with this scam and I am not going to stand for it. SHAME ON T-MOBILE!!!! I used to love their company which why we switched back and now I will not recommend them to anyone. 

Reality of the world:

Individual Employees do not necessarily represent the company as a whole.

People work the system for their benefit and at times even form small groups within a company for shared self benefit.

I have fallen victim to the same issue as others have.

The Big Picture:

Sales associates used company policies to manipulate customers and possibly even their coworkers and falsified promotions in order to get a sale to earn their commissions and then dump the complaints on the customer service department.  Customer service are trained to placate customers into waiting a bit longer for their promotions to kick in.  A good fraction of the victims, for what ever reason are unable to keep calling back within the 90 days to see if their promotions kicked in or not, after which it is too late to cancel your contract, these victims then get stuck trying to reason with customer service to get their promotions.  The sales associates who made the sale wrote no notes about the false promises they made.  Customer service tries to investigate if you even qualified for the promotions in the first place and then deny your claims as you did not qualify for the promotions and say that there is nothing they can do...but play the “good guy” routine as they tried to put you into any promotions that were not added, but off course there will be nothing to add as you did not qualify.  You are left on the hook because you have signed a contract to now pay and stay with the company for 2 years with no proof of the promotions that you were promised by “unethical” sales persons.

It is even possible this whole strategy was thought up by corporate think tanks and their aim was to trap as many people as they can into the post-90 day window without promotions….

am I close to the truth?

Hello all.  I am “stunned” that I see this many people having the same issue I am going through right now.  We were promissed the same with a 3rd line free.  I spend hours on the phone-even calling the corporate number.  “Twice” I have had customer service reps agree and fix this.  Then the next months bill comes around and there it is AGAIN!!!  Being charged for the third line!  The sales rep told us 3rd line, wrote it on a piece of paper, and I have even recorded my calls (Of course asked for their permission to record the call), only to see us being charged for that 3rd line!!  T-Mobile does not seem to want to correct issues “they” have caused.  It is either a bait-and-switch or they have no idea what they are doing.  Since we joined in March, I have probably spent about 30-35 hours on the phone, send e-mails, and ON HOLD, trying to get what we were promissed.  We are prepared to fight this to the end.  Please feel free to reply to any updates or if they actually have corrected it for any of you.

Regards.

Badge

Joke: How do you know when T-Mobile is lying?

answer: their mouths or fingers one are moving. 

sad but true. Everything they have ever told me was a lie. Switch carriers. 

2 days ago I got off of my business account, and created a personal account with my wife and daughter and myself. I was told that the third line would be free on any of the plans they offered I had chose the essentials and for the three lines of service was supposed to be $90. ? The guy said because the third line is always free here at T-Mobile but today when I got my bill it shows something way different of like 137. 00 and I'm definitely paying more for the third line definitely not free

My husband and I responded to the promotion where you would get a free Galaxy S-22 if you added a line to your account for $25.  We were assured that we qualified and added my son to our account.  They told us the bill would look different initially, but then it would settle into the correct amount.  It didn’t as we are paying a monthly fee for the phone and a few add-ons that we were told were free.  Interesting thing is that when I examined each named line in my account, it showed a device promotion for the phone as a $33.34 monthly credit which is what we are being charged. I think their problem may be a computer issue.  I’m taking this information to them.  I‘ll let you know.

I am going through the same thing right now. I have spent endless hrs on the phone and told to wait 2 months.  I call back and they say the problem is fixed and wait another 2 months. It has been 9 months and was told yesterday they were going to give me the 3rd line free that I was promised. All of this after I had called and confirmed before I added the 3rd and 4th line. After I got off the phone they sent a text stating they were not giving me the 3rd line because the promo was too old.  OMG it was 9 no old because of them not getting my bill right for 9 months and telling me to wait 2 months each time. I was told this promo was good for as long as I had the same plan.  Someone is lying and it is not me.  Has anyone had any luck with going to the BBB?  They of course do not give you a copy of a contract or what they tell you. I am so frustrated with them and never had a problem when I was with sprint for over 20 years. 

Hello, when I first joined T-mobile I too was promised a free line since none of our phones would work coming over. Months later the free line dropped! Now I want to switch to visible so I called T-mobile and Ralph said he would drop my bill to half it is now to keep me. Then when I have called back (to make sure this promise was showing in their system) they say no rate drop was put in! Seriously looking at another carrier. The lack of an email or a chat and 25 minute wait times on the phone along with LIES is not worth this. 

Same thing just happened to me! My first 2 years with t mobile was horrible with my bill not being the same as promised. Then at the 2 year mark i was about to switch away from T-Mobile and they said I could add a 3rd line for free. A month or so later my bill went up to about 65 or 70$.  4 months later I am still arguing with customer service reps who keep promising me one thing, then the next month its back to sky high bill!!!!!!!! VERY FRUSTRATING customer service.

Reality of the world:

Individual Employees do not necessarily represent the company as a whole.

People work the system for their benefit and at times even form small groups within a company for shared self benefit.

I have fallen victim to the same issue as others have.

The Big Picture:

Sales associates used company policies to manipulate customers and possibly even their coworkers and falsified promotions in order to get a sale to earn their commissions and then dump the complaints on the customer service department.  Customer service are trained to placate customers into waiting a bit longer for their promotions to kick in.  A good fraction of the victims, for what ever reason are unable to keep calling back within the 90 days to see if their promotions kicked in or not, after which it is too late to cancel your contract, these victims then get stuck trying to reason with customer service to get their promotions.  The sales associates who made the sale wrote no notes about the false promises they made.  Customer service tries to investigate if you even qualified for the promotions in the first place and then deny your claims as you did not qualify for the promotions and say that there is nothing they can do...but play the “good guy” routine as they tried to put you into any promotions that were not added, but off course there will be nothing to add as you did not qualify.  You are left on the hook because you have signed a contract to now pay and stay with the company for 2 years with no proof of the promotions that you were promised by “unethical” sales persons.

It is even possible this whole strategy was thought up by corporate think tanks and their aim was to trap as many people as they can into the post-90 day window without promotions….

am I close to the truth?

That all makes sense!!

I think I am going to leave Team Mobile. I was just on Tik Tok and they show countless videos of people saying over and over again the deal and the price but then it comes to pay and the amount is higher. They used to be the uncompany. They tried making me take a 4th line for a free phone for 3 YEARS. I do not want a “free: 4th line that they will eventually charge me for.