Solved

Im trying to send a text to a 5 digit number and i get a response, "Service Access Denied", why?

• 19 January 2017
  • 21 replies

I am trying to send a text to a 5 digit number and i get a response, "Services Access Denied", Why?

icon

Best answer by magentatechie 21 August 2018, 16:47

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Wow, that's no good @mnikatorr.

Is this the only number you're having trouble with? Can you test other short codes to see if they work? Just a heads up, if the short code is for an international number, we can't guarantee it'll will work.

Userlevel 3

Hi there @mnikatorr‌!  Just wanted to drop in and see if you'd had a chance to test other short codes to see if this issue is isolated to a particular number.  How is everything going?

- Marissa

Im having the same issue is there a way to have this fixed?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Make sure there are no service blocks on your account features.  I had this issue once and some setting had been opted into to block particular services.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @magenta1398000​! That's no good - can you fill in a few details for us? What type of account do you have? Do you see this error message when you're texting one particular short code, or all short codes? Is this your first time giving this a shot, or did this work for you previously and suddenly stop? Thanks!

- Marissa

Hi, I am having the same issue. I do not know how to check if I have ever opted in to block particular services. All I know is that it stopped working one day, and now every time I try to text to a 5 digit number, I get a reply "Service access denied." Please help!

Thanks Marissa. I have a T-Mobile account. I have a J7 Samsung phone. It was working and it suddenly stopped.

All short messages stopped working.

Userlevel 3

Yikes -- sorry to read that! Can you let me know what type of account you have (postpaid or pay in advance)? Are you using the DIGITS service? Lastly, have you had a chance to test this with more than one code? Thanks!

- Marissa

I am having the same issue. I went to Tmobile,  they said I have no blocks on my account.  It used to work, it suddenly stopped. It is all short coded. I have a Galaxy 8+. I called the radio stations. They said it is not on their end. Please help! Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hey there, folks! There is a short code block that can appear on an account.  I'm not sure if the store has access to the tool used to remove it.  You'll need to reach out to 611 or T-Force to check and if short codes aren't blacklisted, they can file a trouble ticket for you.

Hey. I'm having the same issue. My phone seems to be the only one on my account that has this issue. I have an S9+.

I've been with T-mobile for years and have NEVER been able to send texts to five digit numbers. It always says service access denied. I tried again tonight on something I know for sure was in the USA. I want to know why it's happening and how to fix it. I've never requested that anything be blocked. Please help! Thanks! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@drockwell , did you have a chance to reach out and see if your shortcodes were blacklisted? 

I understand you may have never specifically requested a block on them, but you may remember a few years ago when “Premium” SMS were popular- folks could receive daily horoscopes and things like that and were unaware that they were being charged for a subscription on their phone bill.  For that reason, most shortcodes were automatically blacklisted with the cellular carriers unless you specifically ask for them to be allowed, or for only specific numbers to be allowed.

If you’ve reached out to T-Mobile and requested the shortcode blacklist to be removed and you still aren’t able to receive them, you will have to check your phone’s settings.  Depending on your device manufacturer and software version, the method could be different.  (Your mileage may vary..)

For Samsung: 

Settings>Apps>Menu (3 dots in the upper right hand corner)>Special Access>Use Premium Text Message Services>Always Allow

For LG:

Settings>Apps & Notifications>Special Access>Premium SMS Access>Always Allow

For Apple:

There is not a specific setting to turn off/on Premium Messaging, but you will want to check:

Settings>Messages>SMS (ON) and make sure MMS and Group messages are on too.

If you’ve hit all of these steps and you still can’t get shortcodes, you might want to do a little research and find out what the number is that is trying to reach out to you.  (Try searching online or calling the company directly to find out); then send a the message HELP to that number and see if you get a response.  For example, Walgreens sends out prescription status updates from the number 21525.  If you send HELP to 21525, you should receive a reply back with instructions how to contact them.

Hope this helps!

Yes, this is most annoying. When I text the short code for grocery pick up, I get the Service Access Denied. I checked all the settings. It must be a T-Mobile issue. My family does not have this issue from other providers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes, this is most annoying. When I text the short code for grocery pick up, I get the Service Access Denied. I checked all the settings. It must be a T-Mobile issue. My family does not have this issue from other providers.

do you have short code enabled on your account? might want to call in or hit up the agents over at FB or Twitter to have them double check and make sure its enabled.

Hey there, folks! There is a short code block that can appear on an account.  I'm not sure if the store has access to the tool used to remove it.  You'll need to reach out to 611 or T-Force to check and if short codes aren't blacklisted, they can file a trouble ticket for you.

Thanks for the Fix. I have been trying to figure this out.. Turns out it was on my phones setting that I must have set up in the past. Thank you 

do you have short code enabled on your account? might want to call in or hit up the agents over at FB or Twitter to have them double check and make sure its enabled.

Check your phone setting.. Mine was set to not allowed because i probably did it years ago.  

@drockwell , did you have a chance to reach out and see if your shortcodes were blacklisted? 

I understand you may have never specifically requested a block on them, but you may remember a few years ago when “Premium” SMS were popular- folks could receive daily horoscopes and things like that and were unaware that they were being charged for a subscription on their phone bill.  For that reason, most shortcodes were automatically blacklisted with the cellular carriers unless you specifically ask for them to be allowed, or for only specific numbers to be allowed.

If you’ve reached out to T-Mobile and requested the shortcode blacklist to be removed and you still aren’t able to receive them, you will have to check your phone’s settings.  Depending on your device manufacturer and software version, the method could be different.  (Your mileage may vary..)

For Samsung: 

Settings>Apps>Menu (3 dots in the upper right hand corner)>Special Access>Use Premium Text Message Services>Always Allow

For LG:

Settings>Apps & Notifications>Special Access>Premium SMS Access>Always Allow

For Apple:

There is not a specific setting to turn off/on Premium Messaging, but you will want to check:

Settings>Messages>SMS (ON) and make sure MMS and Group messages are on too.

If you’ve hit all of these steps and you still can’t get shortcodes, you might want to do a little research and find out what the number is that is trying to reach out to you.  (Try searching online or calling the company directly to find out); then send a the message HELP to that number and see if you get a response.  For example, Walgreens sends out prescription status updates from the number 21525.  If you send HELP to 21525, you should receive a reply back with instructions how to contact them.

Hope this helps!

This worked for me on an LG phone.  Went to store over a year ago and they could not help called LG support a few times no help.  Thank you !

Same issue, but I also cannot receive texts from short numbers. This means I cannot receive texts from my employer and others that I do business with. I have called 611 multiple times but get the run around as if it’s my fault. Any help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Same issue, but I also cannot receive texts from short numbers. This means I cannot receive texts from my employer and others that I do business with. I have called 611 multiple times but get the run around as if it’s my fault. Any help?

you call in or contact TMO through either Facebook or Twitter and ask them to add short code to your line.