Solved

imei not reconized tmobile phone

my imei tmobile says its not a reconized device but its a tmobile phone came in a sealed tmobile box and tmobile splash screen when powering it on

icon

Best answer by tidbits 7 July 2019, 23:13

cmlucht wrote:

my imei tmobile says its not a reconized device but its a tmobile phone came in a sealed tmobile box and tmobile splash screen when powering it on

The problem is the manufacturer doesn't send these IMEIs until a certain amount has been sold.  It's like this "We sold this many and here are the IMEI's" then T-Mobile inputs them in the system.  So there is no telling when the OEM sends them as it seems to be amount based so some people may have to wait 6 months while others just mere days.

You can try expediting it by trying to talk to T-Force but the problem would come down to the original receipt of the sale of the device.

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Where did you buy the phone from?

Swappa it is a tmobile phone though.

I believe the point of the question from @gramps28​ is whether you know for sure that the phone isn't stolen or that someone before you didn't buy the phone on a payment plan and not pay it off.  This is aside from whether or not it is a genuine T-Mobile phone.

For what it's worth....

IMEI Status Check | See if Your Phone Works on T-Mobile 4G Network

(I'm not familiar with swappa.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If the person who sold you the phone bought it direct from the manufacter the imei# wouldn't be in Tmobile's system.

It's like buying a Tmobile phone directly from Samsung and then requesting an unlock code but only to be told the imei#

isn't in the system and they can't unlock it.

I'm curious about this.  I guess it depends on what T-Mobile was actually communicating in the OP's account of events.  What does recognize mean in context?

As far as using devices on T-Mobile's network, I went a number of years using unlocked and unbranded BlackBerry devices purchased directly from BlackBerry.  Actually they worked very well.  In this context T-Mobile didn't recognize the IMEI as a T-Mobile device because it wasn't.   But the IMEI numbers were legitimate and not blacklisted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That's why I asked where he bought it from.

If it's straight from the manufacturer with Tmobile branding the imei# wouldn't be in the Tmobile's system.

I believe thats what the problem is, probably a manufacturer phone.

I got it on swappa

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Have you verified the IMEI on the box matches the IMEI of the device?  As mentioned, being purchased from the manufacturer is one of the reasons as to why the devices IMEI might not be in T-Mobile's system.  However, some phones are also very easy to convert to another carrier firmware.  Resealing a box doesn't take all that much effort either.  Those clear circular stickers are quite common and shrink wrapping boxes is also pretty easy to do with a hair dryer.  I am not saying these are what happened, but just providing another possible explanation as to how easy it is for a device to look new when it isn't and how easy it is to convert Samsung, LG, and many other manufacturer devices from one carrier firmware to another. 

the imei on the phone matches the box all tmobile branding.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Also the seller might of sent in for warranty work and the manufacturer either sent him back a refurb or had to replace

the motherboard which I believe changes the imei#.

The other least likely option would be that it's a blacklisted phone that someone paid to have the imei# changed.

All those options wouldn't show in the Tmobile database.

Imei matches the box so it was not changed, could have been a warrenty replacement, the imei comes up as clean whitelisted just not on tmobile.

They even tried to add it to the system and it was a nogo

Yeah, I read what you wrote before.  I don't understand--not aware of--the details.  Why would a manufacturer sell a branded device direct to the consumer if that buyer would not be able to use the device?  Why would the carrier not recognize the IMEI if the device was manufactured for them?  (Who, where, when does that IMEI get entered into T-Mobile's system?  By the manufacturer when it is actually shipped to the carrier?  By the carrier when received?)  Is it the fact that it is a branded device that makes the difference, instead of an unbranded phone?  Or is it a matter of whether the device was "acquired" from the manufacture as opposed to not actually purchased, and this problem would not occur with a legitimate purchase, even if direct from the manufacturer and not from T-Mobile or an authorized T-Mobile seller?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The device isn't manufactured for the carrier.  The U, U1, and W models (North America), are all the same hardware.  The firmware it comes with is easy enough to change.  Make a bunch of units and flash them according to orders.  This is also why the IMEI needs to be added to T-Mobile's system.  Only devices directly sold by T-Mobile are entered into the system when they are received bybT-Mobile for resale .

Thanks for the explanation.  That helps me understand a little more.  I'm hung up on how buying direct from the manufacturer would be a problem if it is a legal transaction, but I'll drop that question.  (I understand the OP didn't buy direct.  The hypothetical is someone before the OP might have acquired the device direct from the manufacturer.)

So, really, the bottom line explanation here is that the IMEI is not a legitimate IMEI?  Not just that it isn't in T-Mobile's record of its devices, but that it is not a valid IMEI.   The explanation of how that happened is another question.  T-Mobile is telling the OP the IMEI is not a legitimate IMEI.  That it?

Ok with the imei no imei services can identify what type of phine is associated with it.

The phone works on tmobile fine but now I cant have it unlocked for my trips since its not in the system and cannot be added

I missed this before and it clears up some confusion for me.

So, you are able to use the device on T-Mobile's network, but T-Mobile won't unlock it for you because the T-Mobile system doesn't recognize the device as a T-Mobile device.  So now the hypothetical case of purchased direct makes sense to me. 

My error.  I just caught up to the fact that the OP is able to use the phone, just not get T-Mobile to unlock it.  Now it makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That's the only bad part about Swappa is when you buy a locked phone for Tmobile is you don't

know if the imei# is actually in Tmobile's system.

My last Tmobile phone I bought from Swappa was purchased unlocked in case I wanted to sell it down the road.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

cmlucht wrote:

The problem is the manufacturer doesn't send these IMEIs until a certain amount has been sold.  It's like this "We sold this many and here are the IMEI's" then T-Mobile inputs them in the system.  So there is no telling when the OEM sends them as it seems to be amount based so some people may have to wait 6 months while others just mere days.

You can try expediting it by trying to talk to T-Force but the problem would come down to the original receipt of the sale of the device.

Faced the same issue on my samsung galaxy A71 5g. Support engineers are not well aware of internal / public docs. 
Long story short

My actual device IMEI → XXXXXXXXXXX04/10 → Not located by tmobile or by my account portal when I use XXXXXXXXXXX04 as IMEI even though phone is showing there. 
As per Tmobile IMEI is → XXXXXXXXXXX10
So actual IMEI number ends at 04 but for tmobile it will end with 10 (This 10 is called IEMI SV) instead of 04 as they have their own patch. Replaced 04 with 10.
Used that and provided that to tmobile rep and device was located by them. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Faced the same issue on my samsung galaxy A71 5g. Support engineers are not well aware of internal / public docs. 
Long story short

My actual device IMEI → XXXXXXXXXXX04/10 → Not located by tmobile or by my account portal when I use XXXXXXXXXXX04 as IMEI even though phone is showing there. 
As per Tmobile IMEI is → XXXXXXXXXXX10
So actual IMEI number ends at 04 but for tmobile it will end with 10 (This 10 is called IEMI SV) instead of 04 as they have their own patch. Replaced 04 with 10.
Used that and provided that to tmobile rep and device was located by them. 

What a useful piece of info for anyone, such as myself, who purchased their phone directly from the manufacturer! THANK YOU! :smiley: