Question

incorrect activity

• 30 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Is it possible for incoming and out going text to show on your activity without it coming from your device?  

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What type a plan do you have?

If it’s a prepaid plan there is no detailed billing.

If it’s a post paid plan you can see your usage in your MyTmobile account.

Badge

It’s a post paid a account. The problem is there are a lot of text messages on my husbands phone that he says he didn’t make. He said his phone was possibly cloned. I don’t know much about how cloning works. It seems to me that if there were incoming and outgoing messages over a span of a month on the activity and he still gets his normal calls and text that there is no way it could be cloned. Customer service just told me “it’s 2020 anything is possible” 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hmmm.  That definitely sounds fishy.  You won't be able to see the details of those texts, unfortunately.  Are the texts to one specific number or a bunch of rand numbers?  In some cases, malicious apps will so via text.  If it is one specific number only, you might want to look into that by calling it possibly from a payphone or have a friend call it to see if they can find out some information for you. It definitely doesn't fit the scenario of his devices SIM being cloned. 

Badge

Unfortunately they are lots of different number and they can be easily googled. However he still says he has no knowable. I just want to make sure that it is impossible to just have someone pop on his cell signal in the middle of the night and make and receive lots of text. Then the phone return to normal all day for a month without him knowing. I know what’s going on I just figured I would take a few minutes to check with knowable people because google and customer service has not been helpful. Hate to throw away 22 years without at least looking in to it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It is possible, but…  Usually if a person is worried about their device being cloned, they go get their SIM replaced immediately.  Our devices are tied to so much of what we do in a day, including banking, credit cards, taxes, e-mail accounts, etc.  Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance of my phone being compromised because of reasons like that.  However, those scanners we walk through in shopping malls that prevent theft also pick up a lot of information about us when we enter and exit the store.  They read our phones and credit cards to use for marketing data, shopping habits, trends, etc.  These store machines are very easily compromised and even more so during the holiday seasons.  

It just randomly stopping would make me a little curious.  If you both have iPhones, you could potentially use his iCloud to see his messages.  With Android, it’s a lot more complicated.  If he doesn’t know where they are coming from, his device still should be receiving them.  Cloning is what it sounds like.  A duplicate is made of the SIM, whether physically in the end or just an eSIM, but it still means there are two or more.  As long as both devices are on and connected to a cellular network, they should both get a single incoming text.