Question

Issues with In-flight Free WiFi

Badge

Recently I found out that to use the free Gogo Inflight I have verify with a text message. However, for the last 4/5 times I was unable to get a text message. My phone was in Airplane Mode and WiFi calling is enabled (and yes Wifi calling works with my device).  When I get on the ground I find all those verification text messages coming in, but now it’s too late. The only recourse is to chat with Gogo Inflight CS, and if you’re lucky get a promo code from them.

Anyone else having this issue?

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

People found out that they could “game the system” by just giving a different T-Mobile number, thereby getting unlimited sessions of in-flight WiFi. The new system prevents this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

in order to to receive those short code texts you had to turn airplane mode back off..figure it like this..the wifi wasnt going to work unless you confirmed with those texts..so having your wifi turned on didnt actually mean you were connected just yet..airplane mode was blocking those incoming texts.

Badge

Should I turnoff Airplane Mode midflight?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I would try it as an experiment. Some phones just don’t do WiFi Calling in airplane mode.

Badge

I would try it as an experiment. Some phones just don’t do WiFi Calling in airplane mode.

My Oneplus 7T works with Wifi Calling when in Airplane mode (when connected my home WiFi).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My Oneplus 7T works with Wifi Calling when in Airplane mode (when connected my home WiFi).

same for my V60...but by then im not to sure you would be able to receive the code being sent to you. even though it was showing you connected to wifi technically it wasnt letting you connect fully until you confirmed via those texts..which wouldnt be able to come through wifi or wifi calling because you werent connected to it fully yet..might be one of those deals where you have to jump on it as soon as you are to your seat or rolling away from the gates possibly..if anything next flight ask an attendant..theyre probably asked numerous times per flight anyways..

Badge

I asked the flight attendant, and she said to contact the online customer service for help (which I did). As mentioned in the 1st post, the Gogo inflight customer care didn’t know how to solve the issue, just gave me a promo code as a courtesy. Asked me to check with T-mobile.

I have the same problem, this new wait for a code blows, we have 3 different phones on 3 different T mo#'s  2 didn't get the code until we landed and 1 got it a hour and a half later them the system said it had expired. On the return flight we tried as soon as we pushed back from the gate but it wouldn't log on to delta wifi until we were in the air and past ground service. They should make receiving it through messenger an option or allow us access to the TMo site to retrieve it through our accounts. The current system sucks horribly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Depending on the airport, sometimes you can pick up the WiFi from the plane before boarding.  Trigger the code then.  By the time they tell you to shut off all of your devices to prepare for take off, you should have it.

Badge

Depending on the airport, sometimes you can pick up the WiFi from the plane before boarding.  Trigger the code then.  By the time they tell you to shut off all of your devices to prepare for take off, you should have it.

That’s a possibility, but still a bit of a hassle to do it. In case of multi-hour flight, and if you want to enable internet at a later segment how will it work?

Exact same problem and also got a code from Gogo support for complimentary wifi. I’ve always had a problem connecting over the years and never have been able to actually SMS text. I’ve always thought it’s because I’ve only had non-T-Mobile phones (I like my Sony phones). Anyone having this text verification issue with a proper T-Mobile phone? My travel partner had no issues but also has a T-Mobile phone. 

Just got off the phone with Tmo.  Rep Mark put me on hold and contacted Gogo.  Here's what he came back with:

"Your existing Tmo PIN/passcode will work in place of the one Gogo attempts to text you."

"IF" this is true... problem solved.  Can't wait to try it... probably within the next few weeks.

Just got off the phone with Tmo.  Rep Mark put me on hold and contacted Gogo.  Here's what he came back with:

"Your existing Tmo PIN/passcode will work in place of the one Gogo attempts to text you."

"IF" this is true... problem solved.  Can't wait to try it... probably within the next few weeks.

So much for that idea… fail!

When I encountered this issue, where I could not receive the text message from TMobile after connecting to wifi.delta.com and following instructions, was solved by turning WiFi calling off and back on.  Specifically I turned WiFi Calling Off, rebooted my phone (Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra for those that like specificity), and afterreboot turned WiFi Calling back on.  At that time I reconnected to the wifi network, did the registration steps, and the text message was received.

Bottom line is that the SMS verification is not a good solution. I'm never able to receive the text.

I talked with gogo support on my flight today and they recommended turning off wifi on my phone for 30 seconds and then turning it back on. After I connected to the delta network again, the text with the pin came through. I'm connected on the wifi on the plane now

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have had this problem without fail for all flights in the last year.  Every time, I contact gogo CS, and go through all the steps to try to get it working without success.  Then they give me a promo code for free access.  I think modern Android phones like mine (Pixel 4a 5G) will not allow wifi calling until it validates connectivity on wifi.  This is catch 22 if you can’t get connectivity until you get a SMS.  :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Have had this problem without fail for all flights in the last year.  Every time, I contact gogo CS, and go through all the steps to try to get it working without success.  Then they give me a promo code for free access.  I think modern Android phones like mine (Pixel 4a 5G) will not allow wifi calling until it validates connectivity on wifi.  This is catch 22 if you can’t get connectivity until you get a SMS.  :(

this is exactly the issue..most phones wont allow it since they must receive the code via text just to confirm...no wifi until then means with airplane mode turned on you wont receive anything. last person i remember bringing this up they had to turn airplane mode off..wait until they got the signal..then once it was received they turned airplane mode back on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My wife and I recently had 5 flights on Delta, all with GoGo service. Her Samsung S20 had no problem receiving the verification texts. My OnePlus 8T 5G would not receive the texts unless I first turned Airplane Mode off and reinitiated the whole process. Once the code was received and access verified, I could turn Airplane Mode* back on and everything was fine.

*For the benefits of pedants, that’s Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

^^^ the last person i remembered bringing it up...just couldnt remember where i came across it lol.

Wow, this started 7 months ago & I get the same catch 22.  Enter texted number for inflight wifi, that can only be received on the ground!

Badge

This happens to me every time I fly. I have a galaxy s21 and don't receive the access code texts until my flight is over. 

I tried turning wifi on and off and nothing works. Anyone come across a solution yet?

Recently I found out that to use the free Gogo Inflight I have verify with a text message. However, for the last 4/5 times I was unable to get a text message. My phone was in Airplane Mode and WiFi calling is enabled (and yes Wifi calling works with my device).  When I get on the ground I find all those verification text messages coming in, but now it’s too late. The only recourse is to chat with Gogo Inflight CS, and if you’re lucky get a promo code from them.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, my wife’s phone always has issues connecting even though all settings are correct as described above.  What normally works is rebooting her iPhone, and also “forget this network”, and then rejoining the Alaska Air WiFi.  Hope that helps!