kickback does not apply to "free" line that's no longer free?

• 8 February 2017
  • 26 replies

In November we signed up for T-Mobile ONE™ during the 4th line free promotion. Last week we switched to the T-Mobile ONE™ with taxes and fees included. The FAQ for this deal specifically states that "You will lose any ‘free lines’ you have, but in virtually all cases you will save money vs either promotion."

We also signed up for Kickback for every line and surprisingly got a text message today that one of the lines will not get kickback because it was already a "free" line. I understand that the Tmobile states that the Kickback promotion will not apply to free lines: "KickBack is not available for free lines (for example, 4th line free promotions)" but technically we do not have any free lines since we switched to the Taxes and Fees included promotion. I think the denial of kickback on this line has no ground based in your policy documents. Please advise..

26 replies

Userlevel 6

Hey @avega04‌ - you're right, this is strange!  We don't have the ability to access accounts here in the Support Community, since it's a user forum, but I can hazard two guesses as to why this may be happening.  First, is it possible that the plan change was future dated?  If the switch to "All Included" doesn't take place until the end of the current bill cycle, then that might explain why your (not) "free" line is still showing up as such in our system.  If that's not the culprit, then it may be that it takes until the bill cycle closes for the line to be reconciled in our billing system as a regular line.  Have you had a chance to reach out regarding this issue already, or any luck turning KickBack on without an error message since this original post?

- Marissa

Hi tmo_marissa, thanks for your reply, your suspicions might be a probable cause but I guess I'll have to wait until the next bill cycle to check if everything is reconciled the way it should be. Kickback is enable in all lines and I do not get any error messages. I did call costumer support and explained the situation and the person handling the call ignored my claim and kept telling me the line is still free. I'll post back with an update after the next bill cycle closes. Thanks again.

Userlevel 6

No problem!  I wish I had a more concrete answer to provide - and I'm sorry that you felt brushed off when you reached out for assistance.  You want to have an expectation of what your statement will look like, and that's totally reasonable.  Please keep us posted here when the statement arrives, I'd love to know (especially in case any other users bump into this!) how this plays out!

- Marissa

Userlevel 6

Hi there @avega04‌ - I know it's only been a week, but I just wanted to touch base and see if you'd received a statement yet or if you'd gained any traction with this.  Let us know how things are going for you!  Thanks for any updates.  😊

- Marissa

Badge +5

Kickback aggressively kicks off promotions whether you receive kickback or not. If kickback is on it will permanent delete all other promotions.

Badge +5

Kickback will permanently toast and remove any promotions. They will be gone forever and never be returnable. I wish they didn't make kickback so aggressive but now it is very very aggressive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

bradgrant wrote:

Kickback will permanently toast and remove any promotions. They will be gone forever and never be returnable. I wish they didn't make kickback so aggressive but now it is very very aggressive.

That is false by a long shot.

I have multiple promotions.  The way Kickback works is they give credit up to $10 on the line that has kickback.

Free = no kick back

$5 = $5 kickback

$20 line = $10 kickback,

I can show you my promotional plans and all other promotions and you will see I do get kickbacks and they do not get removed from have them enabled.

Badge +5

I would like to see.

Badge +5

On my plan which my lines are 16 dollars. It can take only upto 8 dollars off. It cannot take upto 10 dollars. Formulation is very much key here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Are you looking at the detailed billing or the summary billing?  I know for fact that's how it works for me.

I have 10 lines for $160 and only 4 lines should get kickback but since 2 are free I don't get kickbacks and the ones that does I get $20.

Since then I moved to the 55+ plan just because My kids should be on their own and they are old enough to do things on their own.

Let me see if I can grab my bills and see if I can find it.

Badge +5

55+ lines are not eligible for kickback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have to go back and look at my plan when I had 10 lines.  It's only a few months back and it wouldn't be a problem.

Badge +5

This is all very fascinating. I mean how does Kickback work. What metrics does it use? What is the coding?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You have to look at the PDF and NOT the billing you see on MyT-Mobile which doesn't give you the full picture.

Here's my old line count and there's the kickback on Netflix Fam before I switched to the 55+

Badge +5

None of that is really enough information. Also that only shows 9 lines.

Badge +5

This is just my line:

Plan

$16.00

AutoPay Discount

($5.00)

Hook Up

($4.00)

T-Mobile ONE

$25.00

Total

$16.00

Then there is the two base lines included in the 130 base rate:

Plan

$96.00

Family Discount

($16.00)

AutoPay Discount

($10.00)

Hook Up

($24.00)

T-Mobile ONE

$130.00

Fam incl. Netflix $10.99

$16.00

Total

$96.00

All the other addlines are like mine unless they get Kickback which for me is 1/2 of 16 dollars and not 1/2 of 20. You cannot get Kickback on a 50% free line.

Badge +5

Since the taxes are included. Looking at the PDF is irrelevant. I can also see my taxes in my regular billing by just opening the included taxes and fees link per account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

bradgrant wrote:

Since the taxes are included. Looking at the PDF is irrelevant. I can also see my taxes in my regular billing by just opening the included taxes and fees link per account.

Look at the PDF... It's broken down exactly how it is and you will see your Kickback and you can do the math yourself.  It's DETAILED line for line and you can see all your credits.  What you see online isn't detailed as well as it should be.  That's why I showed you mine.  As I said I get 4 free lines and I can't get kickbacks for. The ones that do qualify only 2 ever use below 2GB of data and right there you see the $20.

Badge +5

Each account can only have a maximum of 2 free lines. How are you counting this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

bradgrant wrote:

Each account can only have a maximum of 2 free lines. How are you counting this?

I have 4 free lines.  2 from the Nov 2016 promotion, then the Feb promotion i think it was, and then I got another free line over a separate issue.

If you notice the numbers of lines and then after discounts and such you see $120.  That's all before EIPs, and with my EIP's for my wife and kids came out to $212 and some change.  This was all before I dropped to the 55+ and made my kids and friends finally get their own plans.  I just got tired of making sure and keeping track of who paid their share.

Badge +5

They expressly told me over and over again that I could only get at max 2 free lines. If that is not true then they blatantly lied and I should backtrack and have them take a 40th look at it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Well I have 3 free lines.  I paid $120 for 5 lines at one point due to my government discount.  All that changed when I let my kids get their own plans I switched to the 55+.  Take it for what it's worth.

Badge +5

Oh I see now. I get a discount too from the government but it is a free line through sprint. I also get a home unlimited hotspot through sprint for 120 dollars a year. Unlimited LTE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Quite possibly I have free lines but some are not free, but I get credit for them that actually makes them free as it $0 out at the end, and not actually marked $0 from the start, but I assure you I have 4 for $160 which turned to 6 for $160 then I added a few other lines that ended up being free through other promotions.  I then switched to the 55+ because I felt it was time for my kids to pay their own and wife closed her business down.

Badge +5

I do not have any free lines. I have Hookup. That is what makes it 6 for 160 + Netflix. I still have space for 2 free lines on my account.