Question

Magenta Max Plan Promo requirement/ Bait and Switch

• 2 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I upgraded 2 phones (iPhone XR’s to iPhone 12 Pros) last week after being promised a trade-in promo credit of $830 per line. Without that promise, like I mentioned to the rep on the phone, I was ready to move on to Verizon. Not once during the entire hour long conversation was I told that I would have to switch to a new, more expensive plan to qualify for the deal. The whole point of sticking with T-Mobile instead of getting 2 free iPhone 12 Pro’s with Verizon was the monthly savings I would benefit from by keeping my current plan. 

After receiving and activating my new phones, I checked my account online and of course the promo was not there. The rep on the phone advised me that in order to qualify for it I would have to switch to a plan $30 more expensive and there was no way around it, regardless of whatever I was promised.

Anyways my question is this, if I switch to the Magenta Max plan, can I also similarly bait and switch T-Mobile like they did with me? Meaning, can I move to the more expensive plan to qualify for this deal and then later switch back to the plan that was already working for me? Otherwise this might be my first and last post here in this community. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is a user to user forum with some Tmobile moderation.

Your best bet is to messenger Tmobile support through on one of Tmobile’s social media platforms.

They’re a higher tier of support.

Badge

Do you know if switching plans would cause a promo to be removed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You would have to read the fine print on the promo. Usually you need to stay on a certain plan for 24 months.

I was also wondering about this--whether T-mobile will have any discounts on iPhones for people with older/cheaper plans. Otherwise there isn’t much difference in plans between T-mobile and the other carriers. If anything, AT&T seems to have been offering similar or better discounts recently without requiring a new line. Unfortunately I have too many lines and would have to forfeit discounts for two devices in order to switch carriers.