Solved

Move sim to new phone?

• 21 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Badge

I plan to buy a new unlocked Android/GSM phone to replace my existing unlocked Android/GSM phone.  Can I just swap the current sim into the new phone and good to go?

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 22 September 2022, 16:42

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

are you going from a 4G to a 5G phone? 5G to 5G?

you should be able to but if youre going from a 4G to 5G device you’ll need the 5G capable sim card as well. and obviously as long as they use the same type of sim card.

Badge

Oh yes, good point.  It will be from 4G to 5G.  So I do need a new SIM, hope they wont charge me for it.

Badge

Is it possible that the SIM is 5G capable even though in a 4G device?  I just signed up so the SIM is only 2 months old.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its possible but i doubt it. not a whole lot of need to put a 5G capable card into a phone that cant even use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A SIM from a few months ago should be capable of 5G.  You need to ensure the device you buy though is capable of VoLTE on T-Mobile and that it has the appropriate bands to work on T-Mobile’s service.  2, 4, 12, 41, 66, and 71 are the important bands to make sure the device is capable of and the same applies for 5G as well.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is it possible that the SIM is 5G capable even though in a 4G device?  I just signed up so the SIM is only 2 months old.

If the SIM has a small “R15” printed on it, you have the latest and greatest model and should be good to go.

Be aware that you may have to do some setup and migration of files, photos, address books, etc. Most new phones come with an app to help with that.

Badge

They do have the R15.  And I chatted with support last night and they said they were good for 5G, just swap them to the new phone.  The pixel 6a looks to be compatible with T-mobile.  Thanks all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If the SIM has a small “R15” printed on it, you have the latest and greatest model and should be good to go.

Be aware that you may have to do some setup and migration of files, photos, address books, etc. Most new phones come with an app to help with that.

oddly enough i had the R15 sim when they merged me over from Sprint..but about a month ago they said i had to switch to a different sim card (which i forgot to ask which one it was) but they removed my R15, scanned a different one then put that one in.

guess i’ll have to unlazy and pull it out and see which one they changed me to at some point lol.

Badge

I dont have the new phone yet so I cant try the swap now.  It may take weeks depending on whether I decide to wait for the new Pixel 7 or not.  Ill try to remember to report back here when I do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so looks like they swapped me from the R15 to the...wait for it….R15 lol..