Solved

My PPU (Primary Place of Use) was changed increasing bill by $12

• 22 February 2018
  • 21 replies

So when I got my latest bill it increased by $12 ,it turns out 3 out of 4 lines on my account had a $4 fee added.Baltimore City Telecom use fee ,but I hadn’t moved and am never in Baltimore City.On those 3 lines ’County 911” was changed to “Local 911’,I called the telephone help line and she directed me to petition Baltimore City (gave me a fax number and everything),so after messaging T-mobile I found out they changed my PPU.The charge is listed under T-Mobile charges also not government charges.The person stated they will look into this,iI had my account for almost 2 years and this just got changed.The only thing that makes sense is somehow Wi-Fi calling is picking up a server in Baltimore City (even though my 911 address -billing address is no where near Baltimore City).T-mobile Billing is a disaster ,I been double billed and charged,they never seem to get my monthly credits on my promo phones correct and now this.If they don’t change their mistake,my only way out is to move to another carrier .

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 21 March 2018, 17:13

Thanks for posting this and for the follow up, @patrick258​. The Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act (MTSA) is a law that requires T-Mobile to tax customers based on their PPU, not their billing address, and it sounds like there was a geographic assessment here that updated three of your lines.

I'm sorry to say that a known system issue took place in January and February where geo-codes were incorrectly updated. We are working to correct the problem, and any taxes that were over charged will be automatically credited back to you within 1-2 billing cycles.

While we aren't able to review individual accounts and make changes from this forum, I definitely think it's worth reaching out to a team with account access to take a look at the system memos and was made to confirm (based on the date that the PPU change took place) that your account was impacted by this known issue. Our T-Force team on FB or Twitter should be able to take great care of you! Just ask them to take a look at internal DOC-439202 and compare your account with those parameters. 😊

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It may be due to your prefix.  Also the county laws are pretty specific and why the increase in charge.

(AREA CODE) PREFIX - SUFFIX

To reduce your bill you may have to change your number because the prefix is tied to certain tax laws which there is no way around.

I looked into that and that isn’t the problem,Baltimore City came only charge you if you have a Baltimore City Address.This tax had been around for 7 years and I have had my number since 1996  I was never charged.I have never lived in Baltimore City,I did find some conversations on other boards .I have  stopped paperless billing seeing that as helpful.It seems that is a red flag.as people used that as a way around the tax,However because only 3 of the 4 lines where changed,I believe T-Mobile did this either as a mistake or a shady way to collect $12 and pocketing the money.The charge was listed under T-Mobile charges as I stated ,not government fees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

can you share the reference so future reference?

Here is one thing I found that applied to T-Mobile https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1749784-T-Mobile-STILL-charging-wrong-tax-rates-check-your-bills-if-you-ve-m…  ,I believe the problem is definitely due to WiFi calling because I usually get a Baltimore City server.I probably turn off WiFi calling,another problem is that 2 iPads sit home turned on alll the time (both have WiFi enabled).Using the server information would be a stupid thing that an automatic computer would do.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I would try the T-force team on social media and link the thread so you don't need to start from scratch. Explain the situation and see if they can correct it for you. The reason I say this is because it is a account specific issue and this is a public forum which does not lend itself well to getting into the nitty gritty. People on here also lack the tools necessary to make the corrective changes.

My intention here is to see if this isn’t just my account but others also.If someone has the same problem they could find this discussion ,like I said I talked to a T-Mobile person on the phone Would was hopeless.It took He 4 minutes to find the charges ,I felt like I was teaching a baby how to do something.Then I used the message feature and that person has started the process of getting it corrected.They did inform me of the PPU change that T-Mobile did,then she also “corrected my address “ which was never changed in the first place.I post the reply to my issue when it comes in.When I got double billed ,I saw it happened to many people so I never contacted T-Mobile and it was automatically fixed.However this being a very local thing it might take some time before more people notice so I started this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Awe, ok I understand now. Sorry about the confusion, I thought you were in need of help in getting corrected overall. Well I wish you luck and you should definitely try posting about this on facebook and Twitter at John Legere if you want to get more eyes on the issue.

So this issue  was been corrected and my bill has returned to the normal amount.I never received an explanation nor did the $12 get refunded on this bill.There is a chance it will be be next month but at least I stopped what would have been nearly an extra month payment for an entire year.Going to leave Wi-Fi calling off at my house and will get monthly bill in the mail in order to make sure tax doesn’t return.

Userlevel 6

Thanks for posting this and for the follow up, @patrick258​. The Mobile Telecommunications Sourcing Act (MTSA) is a law that requires T-Mobile to tax customers based on their PPU, not their billing address, and it sounds like there was a geographic assessment here that updated three of your lines.

I'm sorry to say that a known system issue took place in January and February where geo-codes were incorrectly updated. We are working to correct the problem, and any taxes that were over charged will be automatically credited back to you within 1-2 billing cycles.

While we aren't able to review individual accounts and make changes from this forum, I definitely think it's worth reaching out to a team with account access to take a look at the system memos and was made to confirm (based on the date that the PPU change took place) that your account was impacted by this known issue. Our T-Force team on FB or Twitter should be able to take great care of you! Just ask them to take a look at internal DOC-439202 and compare your account with those parameters. 😊

So is T-Mobile going to be held liable for improperly taxing accounts now? I'm a business owner with a lot of lines with T-Mobile (1000's) and I have noticed a HUGE difference in my most recent bill. We're seeing significant changes/fluctuations in the taxes now being billed for each individual line compared to previous bill cycles. We're trying to understand how we "were" being taxed vs how we are "now" being taxed with the Geocode Change being implemented. It seems the tax jurisdiction code assignment process has been enhanced to increase accuracy and better align the tax jurisdiction code to the subscribers PPU address which is resulting in changes to the tax jurisdiction code previously assigned to the subs. How far back can we take this to be retroactively fixed? T-Mobile must be liable, no? Is there an investigation or law suit yet?

Userlevel 6

Hey, @magenta3795203​. Bill fluctuations are tough for any customer -- but I can imagine the scale and scope for a customer like yourself must be monstrous! Do you currently have a dedicated business care representative you can reach out to, to see if you've been impacted by the known issue from earlier this year? The document number an internal team can review to check your account for impacts is DOC-439202. If the Geocode Changes were in made error, rather than as a result of T-Mobile's compliance with law, we will absolutely want to get you taken care of as quickly as possible. Please Community-2153​ so that we can take a look at your account right away!

So as a follow up my last bill was corrected and when my automatic credit card charge went though it was $12 less than the actual bill.Somewhere I received the credit for the one month of overcharging but there was no line item as a credit back to me or anything.Once I get my latest bill in 3 days I will know if everything is back to normal but for now everything has been fixed.

I have brought this up to every T-Mobile Rep I have access to all the way to John Legere's office to no avail. They may be too busy with the SEC ordeal who knows and don't want to open another can of worms....

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

SEC ordeal? What is that if I may ask?

T-Mobile to pay $40 million penalty for inserting false ring tones in rural U.S. calls - Nasdaq.com

Here is a link to one of the articles HERE

Userlevel 6

Hey, @magenta3795203. It's totally understandable to have concern about this FCC settlement. This issue was unintentional and was corrected in January 2017. Customers in rural areas should no longer be impacted by this issue.

Our bottom line concern is helping all of our customers get the assistance that they need and deserve. You mentioned that you've been in touch with the Executive team -- were you able to mention the document number I provided when you worked with them (or with your dedicated Business Care representative if you have one)?

...yes mentioned the doc number you provided to everyone involved including my reps all the way up. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. No one seems to want to speak on the matter or can't.

Userlevel 6

Gotcha, @magenta3795203​, thank you. Do you have contact information to get back in touch with the member of the Executive team who was assisting you?

...Yes I do. Thank you

Userlevel 6

That's great to hear. They're the highest level of support available and should absolutely be able to review this for you. Geocode changes are required by the MTSA law I mentioned earlier, but if these changes are happening in error, then we don't want you charged unduly. I am confident that Executive response teams will be able to review your account and determine what's happening.