Mystery Lines On Your Account

• 16 September 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, everyone. T Mobile has decided that they want me to let everyone know they should be checking their account immediately for unrecognized devices, lines, and higher bills.

Nobody in our household has iPhones, but just today I was notified about a DIGITS promo that had been incorrectly applied to my account. As it turns out, T Mobile had allowed someone to add a new line and device on to my account without my knowledge. The best part is, they had been using DIGITS for some unknown reason. Perhaps it is to steal my information, perhaps it is to spam people from my phone number. 

In any case, customer service did remove it from my account right away, but my bill (after adjustment) is yet still $10 higher than it was last month. This kind of security breach must be something I am responsible for. They have so far been completely silent, and I am wondering what it is going to take for them to make this right. I’ve been a T Mobile customer for about a month now, and every week there is some kind of enormous problem.

Regardless of my issues with the company, it would behoove you to double check your plans for new mystery phones that T Mobile has allowed onto them. They won’t notify you, but they will bill you for it.

18 replies

I noticed my bill was ten dollars higher this month so went into my accounts and sure enough there is some new phone number added. Waiting now on hold to get this resolved. not happy. 

Badge

I just found the same thing. Did they do anything? I was just told the add on was canceled so don’t worry about it but I had been getting charged for 8 months 

They have been charging me since 2020, 2 years and I’m barely finding out.

and the problem continues… today 8/1/22 apparently someone went into a store, added a device and a line to my account as an “authorized user”  Don’t know the person.  over and hour and a half later, much of the time on hold, I got an assurance from the CS rep that a fraud investigation was being launched and I would hear back in 3-5 business days

I can’t get past “hello” when I go into a store to inquire about my account without showing a drivers license and when I try to use the web site have to go thru several layers of authentication.

How does this continue to be an issue???

I know the feeling that's what's going on my account a lady from Washington  DC is on my account when I call customer support  they say that there is no body on my account but it's still showing g up on account whe I went to pay my bill it says I need the mane account holders to give me approval  to my Owen account her is sherrilin ramirez we have o ly been with t mobile 1yr and 1month they think am crazy what do I do

I went into the store yesterday to upgrade my phone then today I get a message regarding my new line so i log into my account to see what new line they are referring to hoping it was just a misunderstanding and they were referring to my new phone but no there is a new line which I did not authorize.How is that possible this is the second time that this is happened to me. How is T-mobile allowing this to happen.

Happened to our account this morning. We are planning on calling as many times as possible until we get some answers. We did file a fraud report. Seems like this has been an ongoing issue for a while. 

I have the samething- two phones bought within a day of each other - sent to another address in Oregon? Been paying since December - UGH - should have caught it early. Whats weird is they paid with another credit card, then i am getting all the subscription bills? 

First possible scenario: T-Mobile has had numerous data breaches in the past few years. They just settled a multi million dollar settlement for damages to the victims in the most recent suit. Maybe all of you should look into this and see if your information was part of the data breach because that would certainly entitle you to some compensation for the hassle you’re dealing with now.

Second possible scenario: T-Mobile has some shady employees that are adding accounts to peoples lines because they get a kickback in some way. Which would make sense how they accessed and added an account without proper authentication. Even then I thought there was a PIN number that secured your account and it can’t be accessed without this number… either way T-Mobile has dropped the ball somehow because fraudulent accounts were added in one way or another. 

Of course there could be other scenarios as the root cause of all of this but the fact that it’s happening to so many people from all over and they are giving no concern or explanation makes things seem even more shady. I don’t know, maybe someone needs to contact a news outlet or an attorney and maybe they will manage to get some answers because they should be held accountable for even letting whatever this is happen. Good luck to everyone. I hope they don’t get away with this.

I have a family plan and we added one number on June. However, somehow there was one number on account from June to Jan until recently we got it removed.

every time we call customer service they ask to visit store as number was addded at a store. And, store guys were like we have no idea, customer service has all the data. Recently, We went to store and called customer service to resolve the issue. They credited three months bill  for unknown number but refused for the rest of the months. The number was used or connected to any phone. This whole game seems security issue or bug in system that adds more numbers when you are adding only one. 

This is second time I am encountering such issue from T mobile. Customer service is quick to respond but never resolves issues. I am done with this none sense which is wasting me time and money. As soon as my phones are paid off, I’ll move on to some other service -may be Google. 

This just happened to me on 3/3/23. Went in to get a new phone cause my old one was trashed. After receiving the new phone I received a text about a new line being added. Upon looking at my account there is a new line with a number added to my account. I believe this was done by the employee that helped me. Shady as hell, and I will be seeking her out today to see what she has to say. 

Anyone with mystery lines be cautious I've learned this is one way people gain access to your bank accounts

Same!!! When I signed up it was under duress....lost phone in big mall...all I needed was an android for the time being. But keeping my number was paramount....and my first question asked when signing up. Said I had a $ budget of about $250 for the phone, plus whatever to start up. 

I ended up with :

2 new lines, neither were my old number

a garbage galaxy a14.....on a PAYMENT PLAN (?!?!?!) I screamed about this. Paying off a sub $200 phone with interest is now on my credit record. Thanks assholes.

Was never given a receipt 

Never put my signature on anything 

The sales rep just walked away, talked to someone else, went to the back, came out, repeat....I had to get going, so I took my phone and left. 

I hadn't approved any payment plan, nor was spoken to about it. Was told my bill was $211, what that went towards I really don't know and I'm tired of thinking about it. 

I got it all straight, sorta.... with customer service eventually. Nothing extra is on my account,...

Then a DIGITS fee popped up a couple months ago 

Shady AF, but I kid you not...still better than I how was treated by at&t when I signed up with them.

SPRINT  WAS THE     BEST

Guess who’s back DIGITS! It my first month with them and they opened 4 extra line.. added on new iPhones, home internet, and a watch. I go and tell them I want a new phone this A14 isn’t cutting it.. they ask my about the  Apples iPhones on my account.. I said I’m unaware. So needless to say. Dude at the store added them.. I feel like it’s just being swept under the rug tho.. Nobody has gotten back to me at all I call down there and they just say wait 3 days and they will call me back.. finally I’m sick of it I call them and tell I hate this phone after they have kept telling me to wait 3 more days, 3 more days… well then my call down there 3 days later they tell me.. “Sorry but your past your grace period.. you can’t turn this phone in”… I about lost it.. so the lady tells me to give her 3 days she will fix this, she’s got my back and I believe her… well I call back after the 3 days… today is Monday they tell me to call back Friday, I again about lose my SH**… I no longer have 3 days.. well the nice man tells I will talk to my supervisor and puts me on hold.. he comes comes back and says alright you can return the A14 back to us I said sweet.. Now what phone do I get.? He said well you’re going to have to open another line…. They just shut off 4 fraud lines mind you and now I’ll have no phone on the primary line and whatever phone they give me on my second line… I’m so confused I have spent more in the last month with customer care and the store than I ever have with anyone else this crazy.. all I want is a different phone than the A14….

This happened to me, they added 3 extra lines without my consent or knowledge. I paid over $800 within a year for those 3 lines. I’ve been in contact with them for over 3-4 months about getting that money refunded to me, it’s been a hassle to get them to do something about it. They just now said they will not be able to refund me that money. I plan on canceling my lines with them & also will be looking into taking them to small claims court. 

Ordered an S23+ online as a new line (porting a number from another carrier) only to learn later that the shipping date was being delayed.  Since I won’t be home to take the delivery (now a signature is required), I called TMobile CS and was advised to go into a store to pick up the same model after paying only the taxes (like the online order). Spoke to a man by the name of “Kevin” who told me he had the phone and asked me to come down. Once in the store, he tried relentlessly to convince me to get another phone (Google Pixel 8) for “free” with no monthly fee.  Upon refusing to take the deal several times claiming I had no need, he said it would help him, too.  If that was the case, I asked if he has the G Pixel, he said he would check and went into the back of the store.  He came back stating he didn’t have the phone but it would be shipped to me.  Are you kidding me?  That completely beats the purpose of me going into the store as the reason I went into was because I wouldn’t be home to take the original online delivery.  I told him I would stick to my original plan by picking up the S23+ only to which he replied by saying that he would have to charge me the activation fee - he previously said he was going to waive the fee just like the online order.  Just then, I got an alert message on my phone that “an authorized user” just added new lines to my account.  I immediately showed the message to him and said “was this you?”  He said “yes,” while pointing to the S23+.  It appeared that he did this when he went into the back to check on the second phone (no wonder why he was there for almost 10 minutes).  I told him I never gave him the authorization to activate a new line and demanded the line be cancelled.  He said he did but when I called and spoke to the a TMobile CS once outside of the store, there were not one but two live lines that got added to my account.  I filed a formal complaint with the CS on the phone and will write to TMobile Executive Management to ensure they are made aware of this fraudulent activity.  

They did the same for me.  They added a tablet + monthly fees to my account.  I do not own a tablet.  This started on November 2022.  To this day (February 2024) they have refuse to remove it.  Looks like I will have to gather up my bills and the bogus/mystery charges and take them to court over it.