Solved

No-cost upgrade to 256 kbps int'l roaming bait-and-switch

I just switched to the T-Mobile ONE 2 for $100 plan for one specific reason: the no-cost upgrade from 128 kbps to 256 kbps for international data roaming. I completed this change on 4/8, and 10 minutes later I got in contact with customer service to enact the no-cost upgrade. According to customer service, this was a promotion that ended 4/7, and I'm now being told it costs $5 per month.

This is entirely contrary to what is CURRENTLY listed in the ONE Plan terms and conditions that I was presented with upon the plan change. It's also contrary to what is listed (as of 4/8) in the international roaming section of the T-Mobile site (see https://www.t-mobile.com/customer/Op16063SG.html), What can I do at this point? I feel like this was entirely bait-and-switch. I’m paying $20 more per month now, and I have exactly zero benefit under the ONE Plan.

It's also still under the main LTE page. See the fine print: 4G LTE Network | 4G Network Built for Unlimited Coverage | T-Mobile

Simple Global: Usage may be taxed in some countries. Calls from Simple Global countries over Wi-Fi are $.20/min. (no charge for Wi-Fi calls to US, Mexico and Canada). Activate no-cost upgrade for approx. 256 kbps speeds; standard speeds approx. 128 Kbps.

icon

Best answer by rodlaben 9 April 2017, 04:35

It looks like social media customer service was able to fix this issue for me.

If anyone from TMo is reading, I'd recommend scrubbing the fine print to find where this promotion is still advertised. It's still out there, and there could be other dissatisfied customers learning that the promotion isn't valid.

View original

10 replies

It looks like social media customer service was able to fix this issue for me.

If anyone from TMo is reading, I'd recommend scrubbing the fine print to find where this promotion is still advertised. It's still out there, and there could be other dissatisfied customers learning that the promotion isn't valid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Explain what is going on and what you are trying to do?

Also country plays a role if they fit into the agreemenr(there should be a list) and their speeds may not always give you 256kb.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Also when you say Simple Global looks like it's a specific add on and not a specific plan.

I didn't say Simple Global. Those were the exact T&C from the T-Mobile site. There's only ONE rate plan now, and that only includes 128 kbps data unless it was upgraded under a promotion.

Also, how does country matter? There is no specific speed listed for individual countries. It looks like all or nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It says simple global prior to it. That's why I asked is all. Seems like it is a add on of sorts because of that

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Actually there is as not all countries agree to the roaming agreements. Some countries you will get less than 128kb and be charged some unreal amount of money for 1MB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@tidbits You're really not getting it. But I appreciate your efforts.

Tidbits is usually right on 99% of the time.  He's entitled to a slip now and then

We have found the 128 speed (which really works out to be 110-112 most of the time), quite adequate.  It would have cost us about $60/mo to change all our 6 lines to the new plan.  

My apologies for the smart response. I was a bit frustrated earlier and thought the replies were from Tmo. Thanks everyone for the advice. The 128 kbps speed isn't terrible and has been sufficient in the past. The latency is a bit high, which makes web browsing a bit sluggish. I'm hoping the extra speed might help in that regard.