Official T-Mobile Connect Prepaid Discussion

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

To take advantage of this offer, please check out our Sign up for T-Mobile Connect Prepaid service page. Still have a question? Need clarification or want to give feedback? Drop us a message and we'll help you. For specific account help, please Contact Care.

41 replies

OK, and how can I pay the monthly fee to keep the line?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Great question. Use the options on our Pay Your T-Mobile Bill page after you've set up the account. You'll need to register your number with a MyT-Mobile.com account first.

HI, I have a legacy account as I was told with the old Pre-paid system and am trying to switch to the new $15 prepaid plan. I am getting different messages from different people concerning the plan. One person said I didn't have to pay for a new SIM card, another said I did have to pay for it, and then when I went to the store, I was told I couldn't switch to the plan b/c my account wouldn't let. Then called another store and told me this plan wasn't available... How do I go to get this new plan?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@liasher  you should be able to use the steps in our Migrate your account to T-Mobile Connect Prepaid​ section. You will need a new SIM card for this plan even if you have an existing account.

1) I pay my prepaid account with T-Mobile prepaid cards. Can I continue using those when I convert to Connect?
2) I have a balance on my prepaid account. What will happen to the balance if I switch to Connect? If the balance doesn't roll over, can you tell me if this offer will still be available in a few months, at which point my balance would be used.

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@magenta10617073

Since it's still a prepaid account, you should be able to pay the same way. The balance on the previous account will be lost if you switch from any prepaid plan.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Ok, I have a list of questions:

1. How much domestic roaming data is allowed on the T-Mobile Connect Plan?
  2. Are conference calls allowed & how are they charged?
  3. Is international texting included?
  4. Are calls & texting to international phone numbers that are currently located in the US included with the T-Mobile Connect Plan?
  5. What does ..."When you migrate your account any existing outstanding service or device payment balance on your postpaid account will immediately become due."...mean? Will I lose my EIP? Will the balance become due immediately? Will T-Mobile want their money (in the form of a prepaid MasterCard) back? What about the discount I received on the cost of the phone?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Thanks! I know it's a lot of info to ferret out and I appreciate the effort! 😊

Having a little trouble locating information amongst all the press releases and promo material on Google. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Just signed on to T-Mobile with the $40 prepaid plan. (Needed to get eSIM.) No international data roaming on T-Mob pre-paid; I knew that and I'm cool with it. But my understanding is that calls and texts are possible ... just chargeable at the normal international roaming rates.

If I were to change to the $15 Connect plan, does that stay the same? I've seen snippets about "no international roaming" and "no international roaming benefits" on that plan, but what isn't entirely clear is whether that means "no international data" or "no calls & text either".  (In other words, does it mean you don't get the international roaming benefits that a post-paid account would get? Or does it mean you don't get any at all?)

Related:  when abroad, with wifi calling and wifi texting work like normal on this Connect plan? 

For the most part, I don't need the roaming; I've got a good plan with a UK carrier, so mostly when abroad I use T-Mob for wifi calling and wifi texting, which treats me as domestic. But I would like to know that my SIM is connected to a cell tower when abroad just for backup when I need it. It always was back in the good old days of the $3 pay-as-you-go plan, even if the call and text rates were ... well ... not entirely inexpensive.

Never mind.  Found the answer.  no roaming on the $15 whatsoever, and the $40 only if you buy the bolt on for it. 

I have more than 1 question. I'm considering switching from Straight Talk to save money and to get better coverage. 1. At this time, what is the average total bill for the $15 Connect plan (with fees added in)? 2. What does it mean when it says that roaming is not included? If I am traveling and there's no T Mobile tower close by, will I lose service? Will it use up my data quicker? What happens to my service? 3. Does texting with and without pictures, use up my data? 4. How do I get my sims card for this plan, and how do I activate it? 5. How long does the activation process take before I am able to use this service on my phone?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Well, I've asked a few of those questions myself so here are the answers I received or rooted out myself:

1. Depending on the state you live in, the taxes & fees add up to around $1-$6 dollars.
  2. You are allotted 100 MB of roaming data (many plans include 200MB), but in the US carriers share towers for talk & text; however, NO international data at all & you (I believe) can't buy any for this plan.
  3. Yes. Just a little.
  4. No eSIM, however, you can call in and pay for the SIM & the plan ($27.00 or so) and UPS will deliver. Then, you call in to activate your card (remember to keep your old plan active if you want to port your phone # until the number is fully ported).
  5. Not sure. 2 hours or so if no number porting from another carrier is involved, otherwise, pot luck! Some carriers are nasty about giving up phone #'s.

Hi  I have a T-Mobile pre paid account. My account is active and paid for in full. For the last 3 days my phone has not been able to get service. The phone says either not registered or cannot connect to network. I have tried contacting help online but they say I must call in for help. Unfortunately I do not have a phone that works. Can you help me? I have a Galaxy S8.  I have tried a turning the phone on and off, resetting network settings and removing the SIM card. None which have helped. I would like to avoid going into a store if possible. Given our health emergency.

Have you tried enabling WiFi calling? Perhaps, that may work. 😉

Badge

Will I be able to receive text messages and calls from the U.S via Wifi-calling with my prepaid plan while traveling abroad (Vietnam)?

My plan is $15 Connect by TMO UNL Talk&Text w/ 3GB Data - 1 Month (capped)

Badge

Few concerns 

1. tmobile app only for postpaid not for connect and says we’re working on it it’s been a long time and still have to use the website. 
  2. the chat and text to representative also for postpaid not available for connect. Can tmobile please fix that. 
  3. is binge on available for connect since i had the option to turn it on im on the $15 plan. 

Hi  I have a T-Mobile pre paid account. My account is active and paid for in full. For the last 3 days my phone has not been able to get service. The phone says either not registered or cannot connect to network. I have tried contacting help online but they say I must call in for help. Unfortunately I do not have a phone that works. Can you help me? I have a Galaxy S8.  I have tried a turning the phone on and off, resetting network settings and removing the SIM card. None which have helped. I would like to avoid going into a store if possible. Given our health emergency.

I know this post is old, but, you should be able to use your own hotspot as a WiFi on S10 plus and older. I'm not sure about anything after the 10 version. Thought it might be helpful to others to go ahead and post bout it. I used it once on my S10 Plus a few years back when I had issues and there was no WiFi nearby.