Solved

Pay as you go Legacy international texting with WhatsApp

• 13 March 2018
  • 8 replies

I have LG Aristo phone on Pre-Paid Legacy plan (which has no data).  I will be traveling to Germany and France and want to know if I can use WhatsApp to text and/or call my friends who are traveling with me.  If so, do I need to leave Mobile data ON or OFF (Legacy plans don't have data so this setting confuses me). Also, is there any way I can text or call my family in US and local German & French numbers on the Legacy plan with WhatsApp or another service without incurring roaming charges?

icon

Best answer by tmo_lauren 15 March 2018, 21:51

Hey there! Great questions!

With your rate plan and setup, you wouldn't have access to WhatsApp without a data ready plan. WhatsApp is data powered and would only be available when you had an available WiFi connection.

Without being able to review your exact rate plan, I wouldn't be able to confirm your roaming abilities, but data would definitely not be available if your plan doesn't include it already, calls and texts would with no roaming charges were not a part of legacy rate plans so likely do not apply, and whether or not you can roam for a cost would depend on your exact grandfathered plan. M

You may have better luck requesting an unlock on your device if eligible and finding a German local tourist plan/prepaid plan and SIM to use your device with depending on the amount of time you will be traveling!

View original

8 replies

Hey there! Great questions!

With your rate plan and setup, you wouldn't have access to WhatsApp without a data ready plan. WhatsApp is data powered and would only be available when you had an available WiFi connection.

Without being able to review your exact rate plan, I wouldn't be able to confirm your roaming abilities, but data would definitely not be available if your plan doesn't include it already, calls and texts would with no roaming charges were not a part of legacy rate plans so likely do not apply, and whether or not you can roam for a cost would depend on your exact grandfathered plan. M

You may have better luck requesting an unlock on your device if eligible and finding a German local tourist plan/prepaid plan and SIM to use your device with depending on the amount of time you will be traveling!

Thank you.  Do you know if I would be able to text using WhatsApp in Europe as long as I have a WiFi connection?  My hotel offers free WiFi and my friends will be staying across town and they will also have access to WiFi.

You will be able to message/ call anyone that has the WhatsApp service. WhatsApp is one of many 3rd party messaging services and works just like I message, facebook messenger, and etc. So long as you have a data connection (wifi) you can use it with anyone regardless of where they live.

That's what I was hoping (that I could at least text on WiFi with anyone who has WhatsApp), but the T-Mobile chat rep told me that my phone wouldn't work at all in Europe.  I don't see why it wouldn't work on WiFi.  But then I was afraid it would try to roam, even though I don't have data on my plan.  I don't want to be surprised with a huge bill for roaming.  The LG Aristo does have 900 MHz / band 8 and 1800 MHz / band 3 so I think the phone itself should work. 

Do you know if I be able to email back to the states if I have a WiFi connection?

You will be able to send emails so long as you have a data connection. So yes if you are on wifi you will be able to email. Basically you should be able to do everything you are accustomed of doing as long as you are the internet. With the exception of placing normal phone calls and texts. The reason is because at that point you would need to roam to get that to work.

As far as your phone being compatible abroad it won't matter since again you will not be roaming. Just keep your phone on airplane mode while your abroad and only use wifi to avoid charges.

THANK YOU !

No problem. Have a fun and safe trip.

Have a safe trip!