Question

Plan changed to Magenta without my permission

• 14 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I contacted T-Mobile prior to departing the US for a lengthy stay in Europe.  I wanted to ensure that my phone was unlocked so that I could use an Italian SIM card while visiting my family there.  

The agent with whom I spoke found it difficult to verify whether the phone was actually unlocked.  She informed me that I would, in any event, be able to get some limited access to the internet while overseas and that she would do follow-up to ensure that the phone was unlocked (I have been a Sprint/T-mobile customer for many years and my prior phone had been unlocked; I wanted to ensure that the new Revvl phone supplied by T-Mobile was also unlocked).  

When I arrived in Europe, I was able to access the internet.  However, shortly after arriving I received notification that my auto-pay was set to pay a bill that was significantly higher than usual.  My previous bills had been for $90 a month; this was for $150 circa.  

I have since received a second bill at the higher rate.  I have now discovered that my plan was switched to Magenta without my permission and that this was the reason for the higher charge.  

Although I understand that Magenta provides greater internet coverage and global service, I wanted to use a foreign SIM card and NOT upgrade to Magenta.  

Have others had their plan changed without permission?  Is it possible to get the higher charge reimbursed and the plan switched back?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I’m sure this has happened to others, but it would be due to reps making mistakes and not company policy. One of the main differentiators for TMO is their “for life” policy. Once you sign up for a plan at a given price, you get to keep that for life. I have been a beneficiary of this policy for nearly a decade.

I would follow up with TMO to correct this error.

Yes Tmobil changed my Life Time Plan without my permission.  Now they try to charging $15 for using a credit card. The Life Time Plan never gave any discount for auto pay that was just a condition to pay for 2 lines at $35 each.  This is clearly fraud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The autopay discount is not part of the rate plan for life. Your rate plan is still the same.

Autopay is an optional service offered. Not everyone is on autopay.

There was never a  dollar amount discount for the Lifetime Plan, I was just required to use auto pay period,  so you cant just make up a dollar amount to start charging me because I use a credit card. LIFETIME plan is  2 lines for $35 dollar for $70 and I have to just use auto pay. There is no mention of getting any type of  discount.  Now where is the $15 coming from because it's not in my Lifetime Agreement 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What is your plan. I have the One 55+ plan that is $70 for 2 lines but if I did autopay it was $60.

Now that the autopay discount is no longer my plan is still $70. The rate plan never changed just the autopay discount was dropped.